Is there something wrong with my dog???

Chafers

I bought a Black Labrador Retriever on New Years Day last year, so he's not even a year old yet, but i find he gets terribly out of breath from doing the smallest things, like he'll chase a ball and bring it back once or twice and then he won't bother with it, he'll just sit there and pant very hard, and he's can't do anything while he pants, he has to sit there for a minute or 2 and do it. What I find weird is he can normally walk very well but just lately when i take him on walks he'll walk not even five minutes before he has to have a break, he's isn't overweight and is very healthy and has the strongest appetite i've ever seen in a dog, even if you put your hed to his chest while he's panting hard you can hear a kind of a wheezing noise. When we got him the papers said he was in perfectly healthy shape, it would be a shame if something was wrong with him. Anyone have this problem before???

Chafers

i will defenitly do what you said but when we first got him he got him all his needles he should have had, and we have him on the sentinel pill

Chafers

no he never coughs, just very hard breathing

we mentioned it to the vet the last couple of times he was there and the vet said it shouldn't be something to worry about but when a dog pants like he does after doing next to nothing something has to be wrong, i appreiciate the responses by the way

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i'd also say have a heartworm test done and have his heart checked out in detail.

even heartworm preventives aren't 100% failsafe.

M

Manchesters

Heart?

Chafers said:
I bought a Black Labrador Retriever on New Years Day last year, so he's not even a year old yet, but i find he gets terribly out of breath from doing the smallest things, like he'll chase a ball and bring it back once or twice and then he won't bother with it, he'll just sit there and pant very hard, and he's can't do anything while he pants, he has to sit there for a minute or 2 and do it. What I find weird is he can normally walk very well but just lately when i take him on walks he'll walk not even five minutes before he has to have a break, he's isn't overweight and is very healthy and has the strongest appetite i've ever seen in a dog, even if you put your hed to his chest while he's panting hard you can hear a kind of a wheezing noise. When we got him the papers said he was in perfectly healthy shape, it would be a shame if something was wrong with him. Anyone have this problem before???
It takes 2 years for heartworms to grow to the point where they would be causing heart damage. It might more likely be a heart problem.....perhaps a PDA? He might also maybe have cardiomyopathy? Also, where do you live? If it is like Arizona, that would explain his condition. Wish people would put their location and such at least in their signatures! It does affect answers that might be given!

I would suggest an ex-ray, and a good listen by a vet that is an expert on the circulatory system. Although I have been told that just about anyone can hear a PDA.......heart sounds like a washing machine sloshing water they say.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I did not know that it took two years before damage could occur. I knew the life cycle was 2 years, but I thought the heartworms could start causing problems before that. I just knew that what he described sounded an awful lot like my grandma's black lab that had a bad case of heartworms.

bubbatd

When EliN first adopted her Yogi he was negative for heartworm... a year later when his blood was checked , he was positive !! He had been on his pill for a year. They felt the 1st test was at the 1st onset and it didn't show up. Doesn't hurt to check !! Does sound like a heart/lung problem. Good luck !

M

Manchesters

Heartworm Testing

bubbatd said:
When EliN first adopted her Yogi he was negative for heartworm... a year later when his blood was checked , he was positive !! He had been on his pill for a year. They felt the 1st test was at the 1st onset and it didn't show up. Doesn't hurt to check !! Does sound like a heart/lung problem. Good luck !
It is my understanding that the best test for heartworm tests for specific enzymes in the blood that indicate presence of heartworm. If a dog only had worms of one sex, there would be no circulating microfliaria in the blood. That is why some feel an xray should be taken also.

Members online

No members online now.