Ok, Its time I share the news!

I'm sorry it turned out to be sketchy but I'm glad you found out before it was too late. Pit puppies are awesome though, so I bet you'll be happier that route anyway. ;)
And it's less of a chore to get my wife to agree LOL. She loves pits and grew up with them, and wants another badly. She wasn't keen on the idea of a shaggy coated dog :p

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
Thanks. I would really like a super high drive sport dog, and we do plan on getting a Mal eventually, though it probably won't be at least until our youngest (who is 3) is in middle or high school. To be honest I don't know that much about the brt, except they were bred by the Russians as protection dogs.

We live in a sketchy town, and our doxies, while a great alarm system, aren't intimidating at all :p so something that can make people have second thoughts about approaching the yard while the kids are playing is definitely high on our list if necessities for a next dog.
If you wanted a stable family pet/guardian - one which will actually defend your family - assuming you can find, and hook up with, one of the few good breeders, you might want to look into a BRT. But although they're supremely capable in many areas, if you want that "super high drive sport dog", chances are you wouldn't be happy with a BRT.

Your super high drive sport dog may or may not actually protect if and when the time comes (many excel in the sport ring, but lack real defense drive), but will probably be a substantial enough visual deterrent for most situations.

Torch

If you wanted a stable family pet/guardian - one which will actually defend your family - assuming you can find, and hook up with, one of the few good breeders, you might want to look into a BRT. But although they're supremely capable in many areas, if you want that "super high drive sport dog", chances are you wouldn't be happy with a BRT.

Your super high drive sport dog may or may not actually protect if and when the time comes (many excel in the sport ring, but lack real defense drive), but will probably be a substantial enough visual deterrent for most situations.

And please don't think a pit bull mix pup would be a good guardian. DA (dog aggression) is normal, but HA (human aggression) should NEVER be tolerated from a bulldog. They are too powerful and tenacious to take a chance with HA.

A good APBT will welcome strangers into your home lol. Mine's never met a stranger.

Yup. A visual deterrent is all we want. We plan on trying to find a fairly young pup to socialize the crap out of it. Our dogs go pretty much everywhere with us that they can, so human friendly is essential. Just has to look tough, which is why a pit would make such a good fit

Romy

Taxiderpy
And it's less of a chore to get my wife to agree LOL. She loves pits and grew up with them, and wants another badly. She wasn't keen on the idea of a shaggy coated dog :p
If it makes you two feel better, she probably wouldn't have been too pleased with wetbeard kisses either. lol

Torch

Yup. A visual deterrent is all we want. We plan on trying to find a fairly young pup to socialize the crap out of it. Our dogs go pretty much everywhere with us that they can, so human friendly is essential. Just has to look tough, which is why a pit would make such a good fit
I would actually suggest adopting a young adult from a foster home with a known temperament. Many of the bull breed mix puppies in shelters come from less than reputable situations, and you can wind up with a dog, no matter how well you socialize it and raise it, with a poor temperament. Unfortunately I have seen this happen countless times and it's heartbreaking. There are SO many BYBs out there breeding pit bulls with horrible temperaments, and many of their unsold (and returned) puppies end up in shelters.

I have a good friend who is a dog trainer that this happened to. She just had to put down her pit bull mix who was 13 months old and wound up being HA. She did everything right and couldn't overcome his basic poor temperament.

If it makes you two feel better, she probably wouldn't have been too pleased with wetbeard kisses either. lol
Lol true that! But this is the same woman who doesn't like Beezers... Don't ask how we manage to stay together :p
I would actually suggest adopting a young adult from a foster home with a known temperament. Many of the bull breed mix puppies in shelters come from less than reputable situations, and you can wind up with a dog, no matter how well you socialize it and raise it, with a poor temperament. Unfortunately I have seen this happen countless times and it's heartbreaking. There are SO many BYBs out there breeding pit bulls with horrible temperaments, and many of their unsold (and returned) puppies end up in shelters.

I have a good friend who is a dog trainer that this happened to. She just had to put down her pit bull mix who was 13 months old and wound up being HA. She did everything right and couldn't overcome his basic poor temperament.
I'm sorry to hear that :( we will definitely look for one who has been in a foster home and exposed to kidlets. If we can't find a place that allows pits we've talked about a boxer as well, as we think they would be a good fit to us as well :)

Members online

No members online now.