Dog goes nuts when I leave for work... HELP!!!

My husband and I just got a dog last weekend. He's such a good dog! Very sweet, calm, playful and eager to please. He didn't really chew, and barked only on rare occasions. He's also a smart dog...

So then Monday came... and we had to go to work.

We started him off in the kitchen with a gate (where he sleeps at night). When we came back, he had jumped the gate! He's a 20-pound corgi mix and sometimes even has to think about climbing stairs, so we were totally shocked to see him capable of jumping a gate that was about 35" tall. He also has taken to barking when we leave, so we moved him further back in the apartment so our neighbors wouldn't get pissed... to the bathroom and hallway area. If the area was compared with the kitchen, it's just slightly smaller. Well we came home for lunch and found he had jumped the gate again, even though we highered it a bit... put him back in and he was right back out when we came home from work. He also chewed up a box, an umbrella and duffle bag. And he didn't even like to chew from what we could tell this weekend.

Long story short, I can just get a taller gate (44") today and that'll be that in regards to keeping him in one location... but I guess I just don't know how to make him happy.

I mean, is this normal? I heard the first few days are the hardest... but he's actually chewing and jumping like a maniac just to get loose (and usually does)... not just barking or whining.

Any advice??

Sounds like he has separation anxiety. I would crate him, then he can't escape and can't possibly hurt himself getting into something or trying to climb a gate or jump something way too high.

How did you try to introduce him to you being gone? There are many good threads on here about separation anxiety--

Sounds like he has separation anxiety. I would crate him, then he can't escape and can't possibly hurt himself getting into something or trying to climb a gate or jump something way too high.

How did you try to introduce him to you being gone? There are many good threads on here about separation anxiety--
We started leaving the apartment for short periods of time that Sunday (twice that day to run errands) so he'll start getting use to it. I'm actually reading up on separation anxiety right now and can see a few areas where we can change... like jogging in the morning instead of just walking to wear him out, working on little things that make us the pack leader, and making goodbyes/hellos less "dramatic"... although i'm not woo-ing over him right now, but could still be pulled back.

I guess the problem is, he's not really into his toys OR food, so keeping him distracted and entertained throughout the day is difficult. I mean, he'll eat... and if you place the toy in his face he MIGHT play with it for a few minutes. He mostly likes licking and petting vs. those things.

Hi, I, too, have a corgi mix. We found out he could jump quite high and practically flies up and down the stairs! How old is your new dog?

lizzybeth727

A taller gate might not work, either, because it's very possible he's not jumping, but climbing, over your 35" gate. I agree, start introducing him to the crate, that will probably be a better option.

our dog is 6-8 months old... and yea, to our surprise, he can hurdle like a big dog! we've started keeping him in the bathroom while we're at work. it's the only place we have that's small enough to contain him yet big enough to move around... and we can just close the door. my concern was that he'd hurt himself by jumping over the gate... especially since he just got neutered last friday! >_< all i can think about when i'm at work is him :-(

lizzybeth727

I'd be afraid to leave him in the bathroom, he will probably scratch up the door or find something to chew on..... Again, have you tried a crate??

I'd be afraid to leave him in the bathroom, he will probably scratch up the door or find something to chew on..... Again, have you tried a crate??
we have a crate, but he hates it and won't go in... even if we lure him with treats. my husband and i remove everything from the bathroom (trash baskets, soaps, toilet paper, EVERYTHING) and put them in the tub with glass doors to separate so that it's just him and his toys in there.

i called the vet for advice today and her recommendation was to use Urine Off solution on the carpet and just carry him from the bathroom straight outside, then leash him for a walk. that way, he has no opportunity to pee indoors.

my concerns are that 1) he's going to get use to peeing (or pooping) in the house and 2) he's doing this out of nowhere b/c he's sad?

he just got neutered 5 days ago, changed homes/owners twice in one week... and because he was found on the street and we don't know the history of his vaccinations, we need to re-vac before socializing him much with other dogs (and can't do it for another 2 weeks, the vet says). i suppose that's a lot for any one puppy to take, no?

so what do i do if i catch him in the middle of peeing on the carpet? both times, we've said "no!" and took him out immediately. wonder if that's the "correct" thing to do...

can you tell i'm a first time dog owner? i really can't wait to get him vaccinated so we can enroll in training classes!

Members online