Beeping?

Beep or no beep?

• Total voters

noludoru

Bored Now.
When you go over to someone's house, do you beep to get their attention or do you take the time to get out of your car and ring their doorbell?

I thought this was a basic etiquette thing, but it's pretty normal in my neighborhood to hear car horns trying to get someone's attention.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Neither - text or call :p

I've never seen someone honk in real life for that purpose. Just on TV lol.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Neither - text or call :p

I've never seen someone honk in real life for that purpose. Just on TV lol.
I should have put that in the options, sorry.

I never did until I moved here. It's mostly one neighbor on particular, but I've been listening to it all evening

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nope. In my neighbourhood, honking the horn is what you do when selling/buying drugs to/from someone.
If you're just out with a friend, texting is fine. Or calling.
On a date, always go to the door :p

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Honking instead of coming up to the door is super rude.
That ^

If it's someone I know well, and it's super cold I'm not getting out of my car darnit! I usually call or text in that instance. If it's not someone I'm super familiar with I go to the door.

xpaeanx

I always call or text. I only actually go up to the door if I plan on going in... but I still call/text before to let them know I'm there. LOL.

I would never honk, that is super rude. I hardly even honk in traffic situations where I have the right to honk. LOL.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think it's super rude too, unless you're like in a major hurry and have made a deal "Okay I'll pull up and honk!!" and they're going to run out the door when you do.

My next door neighbour's daughter does this all the time, she pulls up and honks for her mom to come out so they can go shopping. ALL the time! And I always think it's so rude. I mean, I know them, they are nice people and not rude... so it baffles me when it happens...

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
My friends& I had a beep system before we had cells. Once we got cells, we stopped beeping aha

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The only time I've ever honked the horn while sitting in the driveway was to a.) Scare my siblings who were walking in front of me or b.) tell someone inside to hurry their butts up because I'm waiting, have been waiting for the past five minutes, and we need to GO. (Usually happens when we're going to a family get together and are car pooling, and someone is insidd being pokey.)

I don't think I'd ever honk at a place that wasn't my own home. I'd call/text or ring the doorbell.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
90% I go to the front door. I have texted on occasion - in particular, a friend with dogs and usually her family is home as well. If I know she's dressed and ready (not something where I'll get invited in and we'll end up hanging out before leaving), it's just easier for everyone for me to text.

Maxy24

Text or call. I don't think honking is rude at all. But of course when people come to my house I pray they never come to the door because that would set Tucker off. Honking is the absolute most considerate thing they could do for us. The only person we've honked for though is my Nonnie, when she's expecting us. But sometimes I'll go to the door for her too.

BostonBanker

I hate the sound of car horns, so I never honk. I will usually wait at least five minutes past the time I was supposed to be there unless I'm in a serious hurry, because I assume that they know what time it is, they are looking for me, and are just rushing to finish something. I might shoot a text or go to the door if it was really taking forever.

Nobody ever has to honk for me. This past winter, my friend and I took turns driving to agility practice, and my mother was appalled that I was not waiting in the driveway for her when she arrived. It was winter, it was late evening - no way! I was standing at the door in my boots, with just my coat to put on and Gusto's leash, but that wasn't "ready" enough for her. It is the age of smart phones - most of us can entertain ourselves for 3 minutes in a car just fine while waiting :p

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Sometimes, depends who it is, where I am and what the plans are.

I can categorically state though I don't find it rude AT ALL, and I've never even CONSIDERED it to be rude!!! Never heard anyone ever discuss it as an issue of rudeness.

I'm actually shocked people think about it, and not only that, think there's some kind of etiquette attached to it!!! Must be a cultural thing...!

If we are dashing off somewhere and they're expecting me then I might beep. I might phone if I can pull over properly. I wouldn't get out my car and ring the bell if we are heading straight off.... I'd only get out if I was going in the house!! I don't mind people beeping for me either!!!

Dekka

Just try me..
My friends& I had a beep system before we had cells. Once we got cells, we stopped beeping aha
Pretty much this. I think its very rude unless it was pre arranged and you are in a hurry. Now with texting it should really be a non issue.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
No, never.

Our neighbors on the one side do it constantly. They beep just to announce their arrival home :eek:. One day someone came over and sat out there and laid on the horn for TEN minutes I kid you not. One of our neighbors ended up calling the police to complain (the neighbors have a history of being loud and inconsiderate)

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I agree: Text or call. No need to irritate the entire neighborhood, and getting out of your car can be a hassle if you are in a hurry, its freezing out, or a dangerous area. The person you are picking up SHOULD, if THEY have any manners, be ready and expecting you and hovering in the vicinity of the door watching for you ANYWAY. At least thats my take on it. When anyone gives me a lift anywhere Im always standing on my front porch and ready to go before they pull up. Theyre doing ME a favor. it would be hopelessly rude to make them wait around for me on top of it

funny how times change. When I was growing up, everyone honked. Friends and myself were usually always doing something and the honk meant someone was here, get your ass out front and in the car. There was no texting :)

Today I usually call or text, like be there in 2 minutes.

I don't get too annoyed by a quick honk, it's when they sit in the driveway and honk, and nothing then honk a little longer, then lay on the horn, then honk again. All I can think is get off your lazy ass and go to the door and drag your dumb ass friend out, or find out what's holding them up, because obviously your stupid horn isn't doing the trick.

Members online

No members online now.