Medicine Question

darkchild16

We are Home.
IS there anything i should be worried about with the meds they gave Walker
Metronidazole
and canine pepto bismol(sp?) the vet didnt put the exact name on the bottle but she described it as canine pepto bismol.
and what is EN and ID food?

elegy

overdogged
he's got diarrhea i'm guessing?

i/d and EN are prescription bland foods designed to be easy on the digestive tract.

no, i wouldn't be worried about the medications. give them as prescribed.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I wouldn't worry about the meds that were prescribed. Metronidazole is a very common medicine given for diarrhea. I've never heard of 'canine pepto bismol,' though...

i/d is the Science Diet intestinal diet... and I'm pretty sure that EN is a Purina prescription diet.

Chemikal

Peoples been known to give their pets pepto bismol. I have heard some say its actually worked on pets. What I have heard that they do is put a capful of pepto bismol into their food and mix it with the food. I am sure it wont hurt them if you dont put a whole lot in there. Some vets actually promote small doses of pepto bismol to pet owners with pets that have diarehea. It cuts down medicine costs

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yes, EN is a Purina Vet Diet...low fat, low carbs, moderate protein. It's what we feed as the "house diet" at work because it doesn't cause the diahrrea and upset stomach in most dogs that usually goes along with switching foods in a short amount of time.

Metron is a very bitter tasting pill, so make sure you hide it well in something very tasty! I like cream cheese the best, if he's not actively still vomiting.

darkchild16

We are Home.
is there something i cn give besides the ID and EN because i cant afford more food for one and dont want to put him on that crap even for a few days? and i just wanted to make sure that the meds were ok because one dr tried to put scirracco on phenobarbital without telling us about the liver stuff:mad:

and yes its diarehha he has a form of gastritis from a ham bone i bought him :( thats the short version of the story LOL.

Try some boiled chicken with either some brown rice or potato, depending on what he'll tolerate best or likes best, Breeze.

Or give him some canned pumpkin and see if that doesn't help the diarrhea :)

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
What's wrong with I/D and EN? It's not 'crap' it's formulated dog food to be easiest on their track so they don't throw up a lot. We also us I/D at our clinic as the 'house food' as zoom called it for the same reason she said.

It's expensive, yes, but you don't have to use it for long, just til his stools harden back up and he's better.

showpug

With metronidazole, make sure you watch your dog closely for neurological problems. Metronidazole is prescribed regularly and generally well tolerated, but it nearly killed my Great Dane. He had a severe neurological reaction to it and had to spend a week at the neurologoist's office. When he came home, he still could not walk and had lost over 50 lbs. It was horribly scary and I didn't know if he would ever walk again.

So, with that being said, just watch for any strange neurological symptoms like staggering, twitching rear legs, nystagmas etc. When I worked at the vet clinic for a 5 year span, my dog was the only dog to ever react to it.

What's wrong with I/D and EN? It's not 'crap' it's formulated dog food to be easiest on their track so they don't throw up a lot. We also us I/D at our clinic as the 'house food' as zoom called it for the same reason she said.

It's expensive, yes, but you don't have to use it for long, just til his stools harden back up and he's better.
The "crap component" comes into play with the quality of the ingredients, GO, not the kind :)

I'd personally raise 20 hells with a health clinic that fed it to my dogs without my consent - which would be the only way it would be fed to them!

showpug

When fed for short periods of time, I don't have a problem with I/D food. Yes, it doesn't have quality ingredients but it really does work. It's very effective at stopping diarrhea when needed. I had much better luck with it than I ever did with boiled chicken and rice.

I would never feed it long term, or any other food made by Hills for that matter...

darkchild16

We are Home.
well i cant afford it so its basically out of the question. i will have to try the boiled chicken and rice. i wish i had more money to buy even a small bag but right now im lucky to have enough money to go buy me lunch and thats off the dollar menu at wendys. i hate not having a car so i can get a better job :( but anyway end money rant.
thanks for the help. and i will definatly watch for that but si far i havent seen anything.

Members online

No members online now.