People who have moved, I need your help!

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Moving 3000 miles away next month. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Things To Do Before Leaving:
- get my birth control prescription transferred over (how do I do that??? HELPS)
- sell off the remainder of my stuff that isn't coming
- ship what is coming
- get the cats' and Bloo's health certs
- get the cats' and Bloo's flying kennels/stickers/etc
- get Bubba a thundershirt (they should let him fly with one, right? both cats are in the cabin)
- close bank accounts
- donate any clothes that are in good condition that we're not bringing
- visit Deke if possible :(

Things To Do Within The First Week Of Arriving:
- set up a new bank account
- get new clothes since I'm bringing next to none
- get dog and cat bowls, litterboxes, litter, food, and tennis balls for Emmy
- make sure my bc switched over
- start looking for work, of course
The animals are not going to the vet first thing, mostly because I don't want to stress out the cats any more than is necessary.

Did I forget anything??

- get my birth control prescription transferred over (how do I do that??? HELPS)
Don't do that before, do it after. Find the pharmacy you want to use in your new area and have them call your old pharmacy to get the RX transferred over. You'll need the phone number of your current store (possibly the store number if it's a chain) and have your RX refill number. Give that all to your new pharmacist in your new town and s/he will call them and sort it all out.

You'll need to give them at least a day to get it done though, pharmacies calling other pharmacies are not given priority so make sure you don't go there when you need to take your next pill in five minutes.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Don't do that before, do it after. Find the pharmacy you want to use in your new area and have them call your old pharmacy to get the RX transferred over. You'll need the phone number of your current store (possibly the store number if it's a chain) and have your RX refill number. Give that all to your new pharmacist in your new town and s/he will call them and sort it all out.

You'll need to give them at least a day to get it done though, pharmacies calling other pharmacies are not given priority so make sure you don't go there when you need to take your next pill in five minutes.
Okay, thank you, Linds!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I did want to mention they had some thunderstorms recently. I don't know if your dogs are scared of thunder or not, but it might be something to keep in mind for the first few nights since a move is stressful anyways.

Otherwise wear rainy day clothing ^_^

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
- get the cats' and Bloo's flying kennels/stickers/etc

They gave me the kennel stickers at the counter.

- get Bubba a thundershirt (they should let him fly with one, right? both cats are in the cabin)

Yup.

- close bank accounts

Why?

- set up a new bank account

Why not keep your current?

- start looking for work, of course

Start now!

The animals are not going to the vet first thing, mostly because I don't want to stress out the cats any more than is necessary.

I would do a new patience interview, ask around for a vet locals trust and just go in with whomever is the easiest. Waiting until they are in need can compound the stress.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I agree with starting to look for work now. It always takes a few weeks sometimes between positions close and they start interviews. Put your WA address on them instead of your CT one as often people will overlook out of states addresses (one of the problems I had when I lived in Maine and was applying for positions in TX).

Also try getting the vet records for your crew ahead of time that you can just hand to your new vet.

Airn

What Linds said! If you go to a chain pharmacy, it's generally easy to transfer between them. Not to say privately owned ones will be difficult, just give them time.

I would also check when your BC script expires. If it's soon, you may want to renew it so you don't have to call your doctor a few months from now. Some doctors will fill BC without seeing patients as well as them moving out of state, but several won't. I'd check that out :)

Write. Things. Down. I am so forgetful and making tons of lists helped my organization and sanity. I think it's a good idea to not take most of your stuff. I get rid of half my closet when we move. Lol.

Don't stress out too much :)

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Have a file with important papers in it . for human and animal.
get new id and licenses for new state
change of address , can be done online
i have more but will have to come back.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Adrianne, my bank only serves the CT area. I have zero reason to keep it open - it's not linked to anything, and not accessible to me in WA.

Since we're moving in with his grandmother to start, we're living off of savings for a bit... I'm keeping my eye on craigslist, but there's not a dire need to find a job the moment I get there. Anyone have other good job hunting websites?

I have enough refills to last me until July of 2014, so I'm good there. I'll be getting a new pack right before we leave and then be switching it over within a few days of being there.

I will have all vet records in my carry-on bag. I'm not waiting until they're in need, just too much to get done in the first week, I think. Romy gave me a vet recommendation, so I will be setting up an appointment with them.

Thankfully all of the animals coming are fine with both rain and thunderstorms! I can't imagine trying to move Copper to WA, as much as I'm going to miss her :(

I have everything written down, was just looking to add to my list!

CaliTerp07

-Go online to the USPS website and tell it when to start forwarding your mail, so nothing gets lost in the shuffle.
-Call all the utility companies and arrange a shut off date (and find out how/when to get back your deposits, if you paid them)
-Same thing with your landlord--schedule the move out, the cleaning, the deposit return, etc
-Schedule a whole day for the DMV. Maybe it'll take an hour and you'll be done! Likely you'll have to go back a couple times because you had the wrong forms, were missing paperwork, etc. You will need proof of your new address (a bill, a bank statement, etc) in order to get your license/registration transferred over. You will also need to call your insurance company and get that switched to the new location.
-Update your address with your credit card, cell phone company, any loans you have, etc.

(Can you tell I've done this in 3 states 5 times in 7 years?)

Good luck! Moving is a pain, but I've always been glad I did it :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Don't close your accounts to bring all your money with you. When I moved. I took some money but put the rest in my checking account. When I got to the new location, open the new account with a check from your old bank closing it out. You can call the CT bank to see when it clears & then tell them to close out the checking account.

Members online

No members online now.