Do you have any fire safety protocol?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
LOL!

How's Ren doing? Back to his svelte self?
Ehhhh, touch and go. He's still Padded, and shitting outside of the litterbox.

All hell has broken loose at work, and there's no way I could possibly get a day off. Going to talk to my boss about it today. The other ferrets and Rosey all need to go to the vet, so I'll likely bring him and have her Palpate and see what she can feel. *I* dont feel anything, but he's squirmy.

Thanks for asking :)

Catsi

The dogs have free range of the house during the day and the back patio... but not the yard. This seriously worries me, but it's one of those risk assessment things that I weighed up for a long time. I get worried about other dogs entering our property. At least the back patio is open and I would hope they could get as far away as possible.

They sleep in the bedroom with us, so the only rule we have is that leads are kept at the front door, back door and a spare set in the car, as well as a spare set of crates in the car which is parked on the street. At least I'd have somewhere safe to put them in the event of complete chaos.

I'm pretty sure that Abby would bite the firefighter out of fear as well. Or, maybe just talk about it a lot (she hasn't bitten anyone before, but she shows all the signs that she would given the right circumstances).

Dogs6

Plus One
We have a plan but it depends on all of us being here. My sisters only responsibility is to get herself out, im responsible for the 4 dogs in my room, mums responsible for Ozzy and dad for Tika and Diesel. We always have a window in the kitchen open for the cats and Oliver and Twist know the command "Out!" so hopefully they could get themselves out.

We aren't going to bother with leashes or anything, we're just going to open the doors and get them out. It's a risk because they may panic but a long as they're away from the fire they're safe (we live on a really quiet street with 10ish people live there, only one past us and then it's a dead end). Once they're out they can be put in the car or my bosses stables. The only one I would be super worried about is Fudge. Fire terrifies him and although he's gotten to the point where he can lay next to our fire if it crackles at all he's off. However he knows where all my friends houses are an even if I couldn't recall him, once he was calm he'd go there. Aura and D probably wouldn't even notice.

If no one was here I'm not sure what would happen. Tika lets very few people in the e without us there and she may bite. I'm pretty sure that Ozzy and Taz would be the only dogs that would be easily handled by firefighters. It scares me thinking about it.

yoko

Good to know, 'cause Bandit freaked out, when she saw a motorcyclist remove his helmet. I think for a second, she thought he took his head off.
LOL

For Yoshi she's pretty bomb proof I just wanted to make sure she'd be cool with people wearing all the stuff. I knew she'd do good with a person in general. She kind of cowered but as soon as she realized it was a person she was good to go.

She fell in love with the fireman though and I think she as convinced she'd get to go home with him for a while.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
This is something I worry about as well. About 2 years ago now a member of the Flat-Coat family lost their home in a fire. No humans were home at the time and all six of their dogs died as a result. If I remember correctly the firemen got them out but it was too late so save them. A nightmare-inducing fate for the dogs, and horrible lifelong memories for the humans.

I haven't come up with a good solution yet.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
hmm, you know what since being in the new house i've never really thought about it, but Mitsu is always crated at night and during the day when we are not home and her crate is right beside the back patio door.

Teagan is always loose during the day and she sleeps with Tyler and I.

Equinox

Honestly, this has never been an active concern for me, but now I'm worried, too.

We've never actually had any type of plan laid out - I am going to buy one of those decals as soon as I can. I see them taped to windows around the neighborhood, so they shouldn't be hard to find at all. Shouldn't be hard to miss the dog, but it'd be the two cats that I'd feel worried about.

Trent is highly aware of unacknowledged strangers coming in to the house, and always gets free roam when we're out, but I don't foresee any issues with firemen rushing in, in the case of an emergency. He's not one to be manhandled by strangers but when it comes down to it, he has always, always shown a very innate and intuitive trust in people to take care of a dangerous situation. If no one was home and the house was on fire, I'm betting he'd run through the door the moment it was open - he's a dog with a sense of self preservation. I don't think he'd resist to anyone carrying him out, either. At night he sleeps in his crate in the bedroom, and I know he'd be among everyone's first thoughts in a fire and immediately let out.

On the other hand, I worry about the cats. They're easily scared and hide themselves in the smallest and most obscure corners. Sometimes it can even be a task looking for them after we vacuum the house.

Members online

No members online now.