Nervous breakdown?Puppy Blues?Please help

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I just don't know whats wrong with me tbh,I think I might have to go to the doctors,I am making it through the day keeping myself busy and just managing to get buy,by the time my boyfriend gets home I'm ready to cry and give up.Her behavior is manageable when she is napping but once she's awake and wants to play she's really hard to control,she wants to run around non stop,she climbs up the sofa to the bed when to many people are present she starts nipping everyone.
I still feel awful,my appetite has not returned,I'm a chubby girl I like LOVE food,I love eating and to not find any enjoyment any more is worrying me.
In terms of the toilet I don't know where else I can put it as I can't leave her cage door open at night??
I'm hoping this DAP makes a difference tonight...
Okay...her being wild like that is her just being a puppy. You have to teach her acceptable behavoir. Right now this will take a lot of your attention. I have to watch what Watson is doing a lot of the time still and he is 6 months. He is a Basenji and that means he is high energy, extremely curious, and at times willfull. When he gets bored I need to find something to entertain him or he finds his own enterainment (like pulling tissues out of the bathroom garbage). You are taking over where Coco's mom and sibs left off...the most important part is that you are consistent in the things you teach her. If it something is unacceptable it is that way all the time and not just when you feel like dealing with the situation. The key here is that with patience, consistency, and training your dog will learn to be a good dog...but right now she doesn't know what you expect of her. You have to gently, positively guide her and show her these things.

I understand anxiety very well. I suffer from anxiety disorder...it sounds like you may want to consult a doctor. If you want to know a little more about it you can pm me I am happy to share my experiences.

I can't think to clearly or un biasedly right now....I guess if I read what I've been writing I would probably tell myself that I don't deserve to have a dog,that I've been irresponsible in thinking I could handle this and that I should email the breeder asap,even though it will be a thoroughly shameful experience to tell my friends and family what I've done its the least I can do for her.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
byb stands for back yard breeder.

When you cross breeds you don't get 1/2 all the traits. And because good breeders will strive to keep their dogs from being sold to people who will cross breed/or breed with out health testing etc, typically the dogs being bred aren't terribly good examples of the breed. (not that that is always a bad thing ;))

My suggestion might not be popular with some.. but can you give the pup back to the breeder? And then go adopt an adult dog who is past the puppy crazy stage. You could go to a shelter or rescue, or you could go to a breeder and adopt a retired breeding dog. That way you know what you are goign to get. Adult dogs are MUCH less stressful.

If you are finding this horribly upsetting ((hugs)) then its not likely going to be good for the puppy. This is not a critism but an observation.

There is NO embarrassment to saying "I am in over my head" One of my JRTs came from a lovely lady who had bought him with the best of intentions (from a byb who then didn't want him back) She rehomed him at 3 months of age because she realized he was too much. He was a great dog for me though :D
I agree. There is no shame with returning a puppy if you can't handle her. If you find yourself continually not being able to cope, it would be beneficial to the dog to be placed into another home. Adult dogs are much easier than puppies, and many of them are already decently well trained.

I'm one of the oddballs who LOVES puppies. They're my favorite doggy age. lol.

Dekka

Just try me..
Its not a responsibility thing and DEF not a deserve thing.

You deserve the right dog, one that will be a pleasureable companion. I mean isn't that why we have dogs? :D This seems far from pleasurable. And while puppies are work, for most people, those who are prepared its predominately a labour of love. Not everyone wants or likes to own puppies. There are quite a few people on this forum who don't really want a puppy, so they adopt/buy adult dogs.

There is no shame in that.

Jessie>> you are weird :p Puppehs they are the ebil!

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I can't think to clearly or un biasedly right now....I guess if I read what I've been writing I would probably tell myself that I don't deserve to have a dog,that I've been irresponsible in thinking I could handle this and that I should email the breeder asap,even though it will be a thoroughly shameful experience to tell my friends and family what I've done its the least I can do for her.
Okay...take a deep breath. Try to relax...having a pet is supposed to be a relaxing experience ;) I think you are working yourself up in to an anxiety attack. You need to take a time out and give yourself some space to think. I like Dekka's point that maybe a calm adult dog is a better choice for you. This does not make you a bad person...it just means that maybe a high energy puppy is too much for you. It is far better for both you and the dog if you can admitt these things and do what is best for both of you :)

Dekka

Just try me..
I always breathe a deep sigh of relief when puppies go to their new homes. And when mine grow up. I LOVE dogs.. puppies not so much.

Dekka

Just try me..
I still want a Watson (hmm now I want too, and to call the other one Crick..) but that is cause I want an adult Basenji that I would go through all the ebil...

Surprisingly Bounce and Dash were very ebil puppehs.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Backing up and looking at the big picture, the puppy stage is very short. If you do decide to keep your puppy, she will start behaving more and more like a dog and less like a puppy with every week.

He just can't believe after all the build up and excitement that I'm considering giving her up now.He is in complete love with her,seems to think a little bit of stress has got to me to much.I feel like such a bad person

Jynx

I've read this entire thread and my opinion will most likely not be popular either.

It sounds like you just aren't up for dealing with this wild and crazy puppy (nothing abnormal about a puppy being wild and crazy).

With that, I would return the puppy to the breeder asap. I guess you can look at it this way, do you want to be a nervous wreck every day for gosh knows how long or be a tad embarrassed to admit to family/friends that you just can't handle the stress?

to add because I just read your recent thread,,I would tell your BF to take care of him for a day or two and see if he can deal with it:)

CaliTerp07

He just can't believe after all the build up and excitement that I'm considering giving her up now.He is in complete love with her,seems to think a little bit of stress has got to me to much.I feel like such a bad person
I really think that you need to give it more than 2 days before you make the decision. This is a big change, and you need to give yourself (and puppy) time to adjust and adapt. Like I said, it took a few months before I felt at ease with the decision to bring Lucy home.

Could your boyfriend help with the night time training so you can get some more sleep?

Dekka

Just try me..
Then ask him to deal with the puppy at night etc. Perhaps if he takes some of the work load it will help you, at the very least it would show him what you are dealing with.

The point is there is no shame. If YOU are feeling overwhelmed... well then you are. There is no law out there that says you must like dealing with crazy toothy little puppies.

If you do want to try to make it work..

Find an x pen. Put the puppy in it. Unless your walls are made of paper ignore puppy for periods of time during the day. (assuming puppy has been out to pee, has had play time) your pup needs to learn that being loud doesn't get you what you want.

At night take pup for a walk and a play session. Set your alarm for about 4ish hours after that to take pup out again (no play.. just a quick potty break) and back to bed.. another 4 hours. Hopefully in a few weeks this won't be necessary.

If you can't cope, its ok. Tell your bf calmly what you have been telling us and discuss it. (assuming this is a long term bf who lives with you sort of thing)

Brattina88

Is there any way you could talk to him, maybe he could pick up more of the responsibilities of the puppy and give you the chance to recollect yourself?

Is it just the puppy that has you stressed out??? I am just wondering, because some of your posts almost sounded like your worried that it could be something else / more?

ETA: whoops either I type slow or we're all posting at the same time :rofl1: Sorry, did not intend to sound repetitive! :p

My boyfriend has been very helpful,It has been from the start something I wanted and I initiated but he has been great.
I know this sounds silly I'm starting to think this is'nt about the dog,i cant physically deal with this emotion and feelings any longer,If this continued for longer I don't know what kind of state I'd be in I don't really what to find out.
My boyfriend is very disappointed with me,he's pretty much ignoring me now.
In the Uk most rehoming centers will not rehome a dog to someone with out a garden.
I still am lost

CaliTerp07

Cloudcandy, it sounds like you're dealing with extreme anxiety and/or depression that goes beyond the puppy. Puppies are hard work, but even the toughest ones shouldn't tear apart relationships or cause you to hate yourself.

Members online

No members online now.