dog wont stop running off!

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
What you need to teach him is not to bolt out everytime a door is opened. And by chasing him makes it a game.......bolt out door....I get to have people chase me. You never chase your dog. So scooting out the door he knows whats coming. Put a long leash on him or stout cord so he doesn't realize that someone is attached then have someone open the door as soon as he makes for it give a little tug back on the leash and tell him in a stern voice NO. Repeat this a few dozen times and hopefully he will catch on or at least learn respect for the doors from people he lives with. Pugs are stubborn so patience. Door ettiquette should be learned at an early age by all dogs that includes opeinng car doors. I presume from the way you talk there is a bunch of traffic in and out of your house this makes things really hard to keep a dog that likes to bolt out the doors in. It will take effort on everyones part.

I have to agree with Fran and Ren - it is irresponsible of you, even though you know he's got a problem, to not keep a VERY close eye on him.

Do you have a crate? If you're going to answer the door, you could confine him to the crate. They're also useful for traveling with your pet.
Leashing him at all times is a good idea, but if you don't want a whole leash you could try the Handler Leash (http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...>ast_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1124837868494). Make sure that whenever he needs to go to the bathroom, you put him on a leash and go outside with him. I wouldn't tie him up because he may do anything to escape, and many dogs are terrific escape artists!
All dogs should have ID tags, they should have the dogs name and your phone number so if your dog is lost and someone finds him, the finder can call you and say "I have your dog" rather than drive around searching for your house if all you had on the tag was a name and address.
I also think that you should teach him the "stop" command. Put him on a leash and have lots of yummy treats on hand, and take him on a walk. Every few minutes, stop and say, "STOP!" and give a little tug on the leash. When the dog is completely stopped give him a treat and then make him sit. Once he sits he gets another treat. Do this indoors around the house and in doorways especially. Make sure you give verbal and physical praise also. This way, if the door is open and he starts rushing to the door, you can yell "STOP!" and know he is safe. However, no matter how hard you try, no animal will ever be 100% reliable.

ok 1st thing ALL OF OUR DOGS HAVE aTAG on them! we know to put tags on them. 2nd He does not get out like all the time and i watch him like a hawk but you can not ALWAYS be there to prevent him from leaving. and he also escapes when you try to get him he can slip sometimes!! Geez

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
All people are saying is that you need to keep a better watch on your dog. If there is a time that you think he will be able to slip away, put him in a room with a baby gate. If he can jump the baby gate, put him in a kennel. And the only good it does to have a tag on your dog is so the person that hits him can call and tell you that you no longer have a dog (sorry for the insensitivity but this topic is really getting to me). And yes, you are able to ALWAYS prevent him from leaving. Please be more responsible with your dog. I'm sure you love him and don't want anything to happen to him. So crate train him, put a gate up, do whatever you have to do to keep your dog inside with you unless you are walking him or playing outside.

I have the same problem with my Corgi, Chloe. When someone comes to the door, and I'm not the one to answer it, she has at times gotten out and runs off. The chase begins. It's a huge problem as she WILL NOT come to anyone when she is called. We've tried obedience classes, and this is just one command that she will not learn. We are just extremely careful when someone comes to the door, but once in a while she gets out.

That is the exact same problem here. But the thing is i will be bussy doing something in the kitchen when somebody will just walk in and our pug Butterz will get out. Some people are not aware that he will not come back. I do not think that some people really understand the problem.

Fran27

Sorry I sounded harsh, I just can't imagine how it's impossible to prevent a dog from getting out. When someone knocks on the door, if the screen is open, I make sure to put the dogs in the room with the gate before I open. If we expect someone, they get leashes as soon as the person arrives. It's not always easy and I just ask the person to wait a minute, but I just can't take any risk. When I leave the house, I make sure Tips and Boris are in the room as well so they won't escape when we leave or come back (although Boris never tries to escape anyway).

I don't know, I would just never run the risk of seeing my dogs hit by a car.

If you know people will walk in and not be careful, by all means, don't leave access to the door to the dog ever.

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
We completely understand the problem. Here's another suggestion... if people are just walking in, post a sign that says "watch for my dog please" or SOMETHING. I understand exactly what is going on because my dog Jasmine used to do it all of the time until I kennel trained her. To this day, 2 years later, she has not run off. I make sure my doors are locked so people can't just walk in my house. I had a horrible problem with that when my ex b/f's friends would let themselves into my house! LITTLE- I'm sorry if we are sounding harsh, but we are just at a loss, you don't seem to want our help really, or maybe you just don't want to be criticized? I don't know, but whatever it is, we are just trying to help you out, which is what this board is for. Please keep our suggestions in mind, since that is what you came here for. There have been great ideas, and with just a gate, or just a kennel you should be able to keep your dog from running. And if all else fails, and I know you said he doesn't like the leash, but keep him tied to you. That's what I did with Maggie so I knew where she was at all times when I first got her. She was so small I figured she'd get out the door and run away and I wouldn't notice. I bought a 20ft leash, wrapped it around my waist and then attached it to her. Maybe this would help on your pup's problem with not liking a leash. You'll know where he is at all times. Really, you should try a harness because he could probably slip out of the collar and run fast enough before the door got shut. Please try everyone's suggestions, or the ones you think will work best for you and your dog. We really are just trying to help!

Members online