hmmm just a gross boy thing or do we need to go see the vet?

sam

I've notices Sammy licking his weiner lately. :eek: He was doing it 3-4 times a day. He's not a juvenile, this isn't a "for fun" thing :p

He looks like a cat giving himself themselves a bath only just the one region.

He often comes home after a walk and cleans all his feet (it's still cold and snowy here) but I'd never seen this special attention to the boy bits until the last few days.

It doesn't seem to be getting worse and he doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. He's not going out more often or having accidents. There's no issue that I can see at the site when I go to look-- although he is a black rough coated dog so he's hairy down there :cool: He's otherwise well- eating, drinking, running etc

I can't decide if I should just keep an eye on him, watch and wait or if I should get off my wallet and take him in. I'd hate to spend big bucks to tell them about my dogs weiner issue and have them just look and send us home (and probably roll their eyes at me being silly). I'm never sure what to do for things like this. He's such a stoic dog. I'd just hate to have him be sick or suffering with some infection or stone/crystals and for me to ignore it.

Has anyone ever had this?

Sam, if it's an unusual behavior for him, it's probably worth looking into. Watch him when he urinates and see if he flinches or acts odd, and check his stream to see if it looks like it's being blocked in any way. Notice if the urine is cloudy, has a funny odor or if it is dark. Definitely watch for blood.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Agree. If it's odd, get it checked out...otherwise...I'd say he's been talking to Sawyer. :rolleyes: His avoidance behavior is weiner-licking. Looks awesome in training class when he gets bored. He did it to me once in agility practice too; we were having trouble with the tunnel, so he just plopped down and started slurping away.

jason_els

Oh you'll love this.

I checked my copy of, Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, and it states that excessive licking of the penis can be an indication of an infection of the prepuce (foreskin). Sometimes foreign material becomes trapped in the prepuce causing irritation and then infection. It suggests that you manually retract the prepuce to look for signs of foreign material or infection such as inflamation and swelling. If you find such material, remove it. Otherwise he may need an anti-inflamatory or antibiotic to cure the problem. Be sure to wear sterile gloves or disinfect your hands before examination so as not to compound the problem.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
The feet licking is from the road salt. They just said on the news this morning that it is dangerous to a dogs GI :( I would have the licking of the weiner checked out though if he keeps doing it ;)

bubbatd

I was going to suggest slipping the sheath back and see if the penis itself looks normal .

sam

Oh you'll love this.

I checked my copy of, Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, and it states that excessive licking of the penis can be an indication of an infection of the prepuce (foreskin). Sometimes foreign material becomes trapped in the prepuce causing irritation and then infection. It suggests that you manually retract the prepuce to look for signs of foreign material or infection such as inflamation and swelling. If you find such material, remove it. Otherwise he may need an anti-inflamatory or antibiotic to cure the problem. Be sure to wear sterile gloves or disinfect your hands before examination so as not to compound the problem.

Oh greeeeeat. That's just what I want to do. I didn't actually know I could really pull it back-I thought they sort of popped out- it's not like a human weiner :confused: I'm a registered nurse for goodness sake and I'm sitting here debating which is worse spending big bucks at the vet or looking at this myself. Bleah. It would be easier if he wasn't so hairy.

jason_els

I didn't actually know I could really pull it back-I thought they sort of popped out- it's not like a human weiner
It's uh, pretty much like a human penis in the mechanics of the foreskin at least. As an RN I'm sure you've had instruction, if perhaps not occasion, on how to examine an intact male.

It would be easier if he wasn't so hairy.
Perhaps you should have a discussion with him about his manscaping? :p

sam

It's uh, pretty much like a human penis in the mechanics of the foreskin at least. As an RN I'm sure you've had instruction, if perhaps not occasion, on how to examine an intact male.

Perhaps you should have a discussion with him about his manscaping? :p
Ok I got my courage up and started to look. I could tell I could get it to pop out and instantly realised that $60 is not to much to spend to avoid the situation all together so we are off to the vet this afternoon.

Interms of manscaping. I think it's actually a blessing that Sammy's bits are completely hidden from view. I won't be writing all the other thoughts crossing my mind since this is a family forum:lol-sign:

**bites bottom lip..HARD..to try to stop giggling** Not my fault Jason and Sam!!!:mad: :D

I hope he's OK Sammy. You HAVE to come back and tell us what the Vet tells you, now that we know him so intimately.

Poor Sammy..:(

bubbatd

Watch what the vet does and if it looks normal , you'll know what it should look like if / should something happened in the future .

Pomp

Oddly enough, this is one of the reasons why I always preferred female dogs. I didn't want their junk on me. However, now that I have a male dog, it doesn't bother me at all. Male dogs need love too!

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I am so glad that the only dogs that have ever chosen me were and are still little girls. Although, once you have had a bout of vaginitis you could take that back!!

sam

Well that was interesting.

Sammy was having no part of being pushed onto his side which they started to do before I could intervene. So of course then it was 'game on'. I'd say "go flat" and he'd go flat but then bounce back into sphinx when the vets & tech got near him or touched him-- turkey.

Forcing him didn't work because he panicked and flailed-- 53 pounds of flailing terrified dog is not easy to hold still, even with two people I discovered.
In the end, I stood and held him in a position standing on his back legs and they snuck under and checked out the lipstick.( Picture huffing, puffing, overheated, red faced, pregnant woman bent over holding up big black dog)

The vet thought everything looked ok but we could check his urine if I could get a sample-- ya right. So she left for a second and the vet tech made friends with Sammy and just by rubbing him and talking to him. She got him such that he seemed very fine with having his weiner massaged and outed and they I&O cathed him with no problem. Typical guy eh? "NOOO don't force me over! You're scaring me! Oh, you just wanna rub my weiner? well that's ok"

Oh- and there was a wee bit of red blood cells and a few white blood cells in the sample, so we are treating it with ABX called Baytril? She said it might be overkill but that we'd see a change in the licking by Thursday if it's in fact an infection.

And I guess now I know how to pop out the lipstick and what it should look like in case I ever need to look again. I was BEET red during the appointment which I'd like to blame on huffing and puffing to hold Sammy up.

Hershey also does this.. I don't know why.. Hes been doing it for over 2 years, I think.. I don't know, I haven't seen him much, but I think that is about right, I think it may be a gross boy thing?? There is nothing wrong with Hershey I know that, If he was flinching, when he urinates, I would be worried. But, he doesn't, so... I don't know.. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.