How "far" do you let your dog take begging?

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Begging with eyes is fine with me. Once in a while Roxie will go as far as to put her head in my lap and give me the puppy dog eyes, and at that point she gets told to go lay down.

Dagwall

As long as he isn't stealing my food it's all good. He'll sit very close ready to pounce on any morsel I might drop. If I'm eating something he can't have then I make him back up and I'm careful to not drop any crumbs.

He can NOT be trusted to not steal unattended food so it's a management game and I'm okay with that.

My new foster is horrible now that he has some confidence enough to get on the couch. Now he has to be crated or put in my room most of the time I eat. He will go after my food with all he's got now. After two or three times of holding him off with one hand on his collar and a leg bent to body block him we've gone to management. He spilled hot soup on me as the last straw. Need to work on him actually learning sit and down before letting him around tempting food. Hoping he'll do better when he actually knows some commands and can be rewarded for listening.

Begging eyes are ok, barking/pawing/other obnoxious behavior is not ok. Crystal doesn't beg do anything obnoxious to anyone but my grandma, whom gives her food every time. :rolleyes:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't care what they do as long as they aren't attempting to take my food.

None of them actually beg though, now that I think on it. They're usually all off doing their own thing when we're eating. Juno usually lays on the rug in the kitchen when we eat but I don't think it has anything to do with food, I think she just does it because that's where we are.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
They can do whatever they want short of trying to actually eat the food from my plate/silverware or going on my lap. So usually Bubbles lays somewhere, Kimma lays somewhere else, and Jari lays at my feet. If they are doing a nice job of being normal dogs they will get rewarded with pieces of whatever I'm eating if it's dog friendly. Jari still has some trouble with my eating at the coffee table, so I will sometimes just put him in another room. The girls are fine. Kimma only gets annoying around Justin when he eats pretzels. Girl loves her pretzels.

ACooper

Hey Ruffian....I don't know if I could pretend to nap, I think I'd try a 'grab and run' 'cause it looks yummy! LOL

I didn't have any set expectations, and it is interesting to see the wide range of allowances on begging.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Stare all you want as long as you aren't....touching, crowding, whining, barking etc..
I occasionally tell him to buzz off and he does because even the far away wistful staring can get annoying.

The only time he WHINES at me is when I'm eating peanut butter sandwiches or yogurt which is 100% my fault because I always share with him...

Maxy24

Tucker doesn't beg from me or mom, we don't feed him while we eat. I don't care if he watches though, even if he's close. But he rarely does this, he knows nothing will come of it. He begs super bad from my dad though. Only when we eat in the living room, because those are the sort of meals he feeds him from. We eat pizza in the living room and dad gives him his crust. Dad eats ice cream in the living room and lets Tucker lick his bowl when he's done. So Tucker sits and stares at dad while he eats and then when dad is getting to the end of his slice/bowl Tucker starts whining, sneezing, slapping his paws on the ground, letting out the occasional bark. I have absolutely no desire to stop it, it's dad's fault. If he wants to stop it he can. Tucker shouldn't be eating pizza and ice cream anyway.

But if I did have a dog who begged from me even though I didn't feed him from my plate I would be okay with staring, air sniffing, even putting a paw on me. But no noise, no poking, no scratching. Basically no behaviors I dislike in general.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
The only time he WHINES at me is when I'm eating peanut butter sandwiches or yogurt which is 100% my fault because I always share with him...
LOL, Juno has a downfall too. Apples. The only time she even cares that someone has food is if they're eating an apple. Then she's at your feet drooling. Which is gross but eh... it's the monster that's been created. She knows she always gets the core.

Locke

Smiley will lay quietly under the table during dinner, but will usually sit and stare at you if you snack on the couch.

I don't mind as long as he is quiet and not touching.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My dogs are crated when people eat.

Frodo will take food right off your plate, given the opportunity.

I didn't want another Frodo, so Siri is crated when we eat. When she's out, she doesn't bother people with food, for the most part. And you can tell her to go away, and she will.

JacksonsMom

Jackson is bad, but mostly with my dad. He's learned my dad will give in and ALWAYS give him something really good when he acts obnoxiously, so yeah he's a horrible begger with him. With me, he usually sits close, and often stares, but doesn't do any whining/pawing/etc, maybe an occasional sigh or whine if it's something realllyyy good like meatloaf.

I don't even mind when he lays his head down on my shoulder as he's laying on the top of the couch, or on my leg laying next to me. As long as his face is not physically near my plate, I don't care. He's good with 'leave it' for the most part, so I can tell him that and he won't touch my food. He always knows I'm going to share with him at some point anyway.

When we're outside on the deck/patio, he's so used to being able to climb on the picnic tables that he thinks that is what they are for. So it's not uncommon for me to be eating and him be laying on the table with the food, lol.

Begging is my on my low list of priorities. It really doesn't bother me. I won't let him do it to other people though besides the family we live with and those who enable him.

Dagwall

Couple pictures of "normal" Jubel behavior around us eating. Neither of us care if he watches and he'll back up if we ask when he gets too close.

Jubel sitting with my brother, distracted by me momentarily and previous foster boy Tony keeping a close eye on the food.

Watching and drooling in my lap as I munch on tuna salad and crackers

Members online