Thoughts on Basenjis?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
The ones I've met are definitely primitive. It's easy to go into owning a primitive saying, "I'll train puppy to do x, y and z! Puppy will be just like other dogs!" .... but primitives really do make up their own minds about what they will do and what they will learn.

That said, I think they're lovely little dogs. We have a few that come coursing, and they do very well.

Moth will probably chime in here. She's got a handsome little Basenji. ;)

Dekka

Just try me..
I love them! They are high on my 'someday' list. I am totally smitten with Watson (I was lucky to meet him for reals a couple of summers back)

I am ok with the lack of biddability but that might not be everyone's cup of tea. They are such fun, unique dogs.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Basenjis...oh there is so much to say. :)

I recommend that you go to the BRAT website and read some of the owner stories they have there to learn about how bad a senji can be.

That being said when they are good they are oh so good.

They are fun little dogs with a mind of their own. Always thinking (which is what sometimes starts the trouble).

If you like a lively dog that thinks, tends to make up its own mind, and not always take your word for gospel then a basenji is for you.

If you have the ability to laugh when your dog is being a sass you might just be made to own a senji.

Watson is a very affectionate soul, but some of them are more aloof. Then again his breeder has a boy that will dive into peoples laps for snuggles.

I am lucky Watson likes to work with me training wise as long as I keep it interesting. Some basenjis are far less enamored with training. That said he prefers active exercises and training to stationary. He still believes that stays are for suckers and he is 3 and a half years old now. Someday I will have a decent stay on him, maybe... :D But he loves agility training because he gets to move and be active.

In our basenji club here we have people that do all sorts of things with their dogs. There are dogs titled in rally, agility, nosework, and of course lure coursing.

If you have more specific questions feel free to ask away or pm me :)

Maxy24

I've only met one and he's in daycare, but I kind of love him. He's super affectionate but super non-obnoxious. I'll just be standing there in camp and realize there is a gentle pressure on the back of my legs and look down to find him pressing his forehead into the back of my legs hoping I'll move my feet apart so he can stand between them and get pet. Occasionally he'll stand up and put his paws on my leg but it's literally him standing up, placing his one paw on my leg and immediately dropping back down. Like a poke. When you pet him he just stands calmly, closing his eyes because it feels good.

He does not like the other dogs (doesn't play) but unless they harass him he's non-aggressive. If he's standing with me he can literally get bowled over and he doesn't care, he just gets back up. It's only intentional contact that bothers him and I've heard he can get nasty, I've never seen it though and I've been in camp with him a million times. He does like one pug though, another one who likes to stand between my feet. He likes to clean her wrinkles and ears while she looks confused and slightly worried.

I have heard he's quick as escaping from his room and is super hard to catch.

I like him, he's got that wise thing going on, like he's another person in the room watching all those crazy dogs with me.

I really know nothing about living with one though.

Moth's description makes me want one, always thought they were cute as hell but never really looked into them. I love a smart sassy dog and being well trained isn't exactly a requirement around here.

Members online