"Told ya so" moment?

lizzybeth727

So my roommate decided on a bit of a whim that she needed a puppy. She's been working in the dog industry for a few years so she basically knew what she was getting into, but still, she literally went from "I think I might want to get a puppy?" to actually bringing home the puppy in about 4 days.

Anyway, when she was looking for a puppy, I had suggested a breeder that produces exactly the kind of dog she's looking for, and happened to have a few puppies available. She asked what the breeder charges, and I told her I think about $900-$1000. My roommate said absolutely not, because she can't spend $900 to get a dog. Which makes me :rolleyes:.

So she found a puppy on Petfinder, talked to the foster, and brought the puppy home on the same day. That first day at home, the puppy was in an accident (long story, but it was very much an accident), and ended up with a broken leg. My roommate spent, get this, $900 on the vet bills. The first day she brought home the puppy.

Now, in NO WAY am I happy that the puppy got hurt, and she's absolutely OK now... just, the whole situation seemed a bit ironic to me and I thought you guys would get it and be amused as well. ;)

Locke

Although if the accident was in all sense of the word an accident, then it could've happened with the $900-1000 puppy too :p Just sayin'

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow. Very, very, very ironic!!! D: Poor puppy... I hope he heals up soon.

I :rolleyes: when people refuse to spend $1k on a well-bred puppy, too. Seriously, no matter what you pay for the puppy, you're going to be spending thousands to properly care for them. AND a well-bred puppy is more likely to be physically sound and healthier than a rescue or a BYB puppy.

Most people spend much more than $1000 on a set of couches, and most people will buy new furniture within a few years. What's so crazy about spending that on a companion for the next 15 years?

yoko

I :rolleyes: when people refuse to spend $1k on a well-bred puppy, too. Seriously, no matter what you pay for the puppy, you're going to be spending thousands to properly care for them.
Agree completely. Yoshi was $15 and I've spent an upwards of $6k on her because of her bloat issues. :/ But most people don't think about the long term.

lizzybeth727

I :rolleyes: when people refuse to spend $1k on a well-bred puppy, too. Seriously, no matter what you pay for the puppy, you're going to be spending thousands to properly care for them. AND a well-bred puppy is more likely to be physically sound and healthier than a rescue or a BYB puppy.

Most people spend much more than $1000 on a set of couches, and most people will buy new furniture within a few years. What's so crazy about spending that on a companion for the next 15 years?
^^^Seriously.

With this particular person, I think part of the problem is that her last dog came from a breeder. I know she didn't spend nearly $1000 (not that that really matters), but she also got that puppy on a bit of a whim and didn't reasearch breeders very much at all (basically picked the first one she found that was close enough she didn't have to travel far to pick up the puppy). Of course that dog's had a few issues over the years, and I think it turned her off of breeders altogether. :(

Tahla9999

So, she said she wont pay 900 to get a dog. She didn't say she wont pay 900 on a dog. If that is the case, I see no problem. Many people don't want to pay up to over 900 to get a dog. There are plenty of dogs needing homes who are less than half that amount. My humane society gives out dogs for $175. I mean, if she had went for a $900 puppy and it broke its leg, she would still be paying another $900 for it.

Last edited:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Lilly was R200 and has cost me a blood fortune over the years.

Travis was R7000 and Riley R9000 and they are both as strong as oxen. :)

Members online

No members online now.