A noisy beagle?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Eh, every beagle I've ever met have been extremely vocal! :p

I don't think boxers are big barkers...mine rarely barks and I don't think I've ever heard a peep from my sister's boxer. Molly pretty much only barks if the other dogs start barking at her lol. ;)

bubbatd

Chip will bark in "talking" to the neighbor's yapping dogs, or to allert me to any stranger or odd car/truck in our drive. His new habit ( which is MY FAULT ) is when I get on the phone.!!! He barked once and I gave him a dog biscuit to shut him up !!! Yup, you're right !!!! Luckily I'm not on the phone much !!!!! Bad Grammy !!!!

Ash47

Taco Dog
A quiet Beagle?? Do those words belong in the same sentence?????? LOL They may be loud, but they are so sweet and loving. One class of breeds I have found that hardly ever bark is the Bully class. But dear Lord, Roxy Mae. She is my little watchdog. ANY noise and I do mean ANY to the furthest extent, she will bark. We have her trained to stop when we just give a little SHHH. But we also have her trained to bark whenever we say Get Em.
Precious on the other hand, it takes a lot for her to bark. But when she does, it comes from her toes. She is definetely a great guard dog. Spud will bark incessantly once he gets started; there is no stopping that boy. :)

That's funny. My old Beagle caused a lot of problems with the neighbors during his life. One thing he used to do that really bugged me was when he would be sleeping on the floor next to my bed (He only would sleep with my mom) , and hear something outside, and he would let loose with this terrible, "AWOOOOOOOAWOOOWOO!", and then run out to the family room to look out the windows. If he saw something, then the yelling would continue for a while, and then he would finally stop and eventually come back into my room and go back to sleep. He was the biggest Beagle (40 pounds and skinny) I have ever seen, not one of these little tiny ones you see mostly now. His size was matched by the volume he could produce.

Shadow never barks, unless shes woth monty (the beagle) and the she does, but its more of a squeek, she's soooooo high pitched, it hurts your ears, andwhen they both bark together, well you'd think your ears were bleeding!! :D

I've noticed that there's two types of barking that will drive you insane - the high-pitched racket of the average sheltie/terrier/collie, and the droning, mechanical howl/bark of Great Danes, hounds, and other large breeds. Personally, I can tolerate a yappy Yorkie or a nerve-shattering collie bark, but two or three of those looooong, deep, doleful yowls makes me want to go kill the dog. Which is usually an outside dog, and I would also like to kill the owner, but that noise just cuts through my skull. A yapper eventually falls over in exhaustion (have witnessed this) but the other sort can and does continue until the owner comes home from work, dinner or prison.

BigDog2191 said:
Anybody know of any other breeds that aren't very vocal?
Everyone at the 4th of July party was amazed at how quiet Shiva was. I hadn't really thought about it before, but my three tend to prefer to be quiet until they get withing striking distance of whatever shouldn't be there :eek:

If it makes you feel any better, Rocky will bark less as he gets older and gains confidence, but he will probably always be a big vocalizer, making different sounds when he's 'talking' to you. It can be really interesting cataloging those sounds in your head so you can figure out what he's trying to tell you by each different vocal style.

Charley's got some friends of the family who come on Thanksgiving to rabbit hunt. You should hear their little Beagles belling! I like hearing them . . . for about the first five minutes, lol! And then the two grrrrrls go crazy when they hear gunshots. It just infuriates them. That's one time they are loud because they can't get to the "problem" and take care of it! The windows actually shake from the sound.

avenlee

My Sadie won't bark at all if it wasn't for NORA. We live in the back of a busy route and Nora will bark and run to the windows everytime a police siren or fire engine goes by. Once Nora gets going, then Sadie will start.

BigDog2191 said:
Anybody know of any other breeds that aren't very vocal?
May, my lab, tends to be very quiet....she only gives the ocassional "Hey look at me!" bark, and the ocassional play bark. Our neighbors darn lab barks like crazy...but I don't think he gets as much time with his humans as MayMoo does.

Tippy is also generally pretty quiet....unless she feels like showing the neighbors there's a big bad border collie over here and they can't come over here (they'd seriously be sorry if they did), or when she feels like acting silly. She woowoowoos when she's excited or happy.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I know I put in an above post that Precious is a great guard dog, but in others I say she isn't. I just wanted to clarify... No, she is not a good guard dog. But I do believe that if it came down to it and she saw that she actually had to be mean, she would fight to the death for us if we were getting hurt or robbed, etc.

Just didn't want you guys to think I was crazy by posting two different things. LOL

We have a foster beagle, Samantha (Sam). She is not a frequent barker but when she barks.... she really barks!! :D
Worse in the early AM when I take her out, it's like 4AM and she is baying away at a scent she has caught in the yard. It is next to impossible to get her to stop.
I love the sound of it, I love the fact that she is alive and able to bark at all!
Maureen

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/sam0605/

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
LOL!!!!! What books have you been reading? Our old Beagle Bonnie was probley the noisiest most vocal dog I have ever owned. My mom swears she will never own anouther Beagle she says she got plenty of howling out of Bonnie :rolleyes: .
She was my dads best hunting dog ever though!

Bonnie btw died of cancer when she was 13 years old.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Dogs I dread coming in for boarding because of the noise: mini-Schnauzers, Labs, any and all terriers, Cockers, Shih Tzu's, Beagles, Goldens...I haven't had too much of an issue with American Eskies, but they could also be getting drowned out by everyone else. We had the biggest group of whiners and criers in for Labor Day...I love my earplugs. :D

I did have two of the quietest Beagles I've ever met this weekend, one just never made a sound (and only a year old) and the other only made noise because a JRT ran over and bit it on the head for no reason.

We rescued what I was told was a beagle from the shelter. I was a little hesitant, because I knew that they were barkers! They are, after all, used to hunt! Well the more I looked at her, the more I realized there was more then beagle in her. I believe she is mixed with Bassett. Oh, great, there is a nice quiet combination! Well, for the first 3 days, we didn't even think this dog knew how to bark. I thought she may even be deaf. (now we know it was just her stubborness!!!) We finally heard her bark when she "saw" another dog. And she barked, and barked, and barked. The only time she really barks is when she actually "sees" something. If her nose catches scent of something, she just wimpers. She does cry when we are leaving, if we don't take her with us. But, for the most part, she is one of the quietest dogs I have ever owned. And...an AWESOME family pet. (aside for the minimum one hour a week we spend chasing her down if she gets out, so many deer to chase here in the middle of the woods) We have only had her 3 weeks, so she is getting better at the running away, and actually comes when I call her. I spent my whole life with larger breeds, and am now certain that if we were to ever get another dog, it would be a beagle!!!

Members online