Bad breath

Jonn

I had some real problems with my puppy going about doing "a poo-poo" everywhere. It was really annoying, specially because my 1 year old son (already running on his own) found his excrements interesting "toys"... This inicial problem is now solved thanks to eager training, (and he's actually starting to do tricks as well...) but I still have problem with his (the dog's) breath. Anyone having a tip how to improve bad breaths?

I've tried the most, so please come up with some creative ideas. I'm open to everything right now...

Jonn

Nauseous Breath

Hello everybody, I'm new here,

When my puppy was real young I had som serious problems with his excrements. He's going about doing his needs everywhere in my house... I was so glad I could solve this doing some proper training and now he's also started doing tricks and everything...

The reason of this Thread is that I now got a new proplem with my dog. He stinks, I mean you just don't want to go near him anymore... It's his breath, and I dont' know what to do about it. I have tried the most so please come up with some creative ideas. Right now I'm open to everything!

Thanks

Jonn

Sorry about the dublicating... Wasn't sure it was posted in the first place...

My dog is now 12 week old. Do you think it can be related with the inicial problems with the excrements?

bubbatd

We need more info !!! I'd be more concern with toilet training and the baby playing with stools !

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Nope, doubt your dogs breath will smell because it eats poo.

At 12 weeks old I imagine it's just "puppy breath"... Young dogs have a distinctive smell to them, it disappears soon though.

What do you feed your puppy? Could be diet.

It's probably a good idea to start getting him used to having his mouth inspected and teeth brushed.

Just let him get used to having a tooth brush in his mouth to begin with.

Lots of treats for good behaviour and only a few seconds at a time, building up slowly.

Use pet friendly toothpaste.

I never actually brush my dogs teeth because I let her gnaw on things which keeps them in good condition, but if you're concerned by smell it might help.

And again, diet is very important.

Jonn

Alright, thanks a lot... I have tried the diets that they're selling at therabreath.com but they aren't working. Toothpaste works but only for about an hour and afterwards it's just as bad again. Do you got any tips on any particular diets that I could try?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well, what are you feeding now? And what is the smell like? Is it meaty, fishy, fusty... sounds odd but might help.

At 12 weeks it not going to be plague or gum disease. I'm still betting on puppy breath.... though.

Have you asked your vet?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
From what I can see on the net, that food looks to be a quality brand.

Have you seen your vet? Is your dog wormed etc?

Jonn

He's been wormed by the vet and he's also vacinated against canine distemper, canine parvovirus, canine hepatitis virus.

I haven't been to the vet since its "just the breath", I mean he's fit and happy in all other aspects. Do really think it should be necessary to go there? He isn't ill or anything.. It's just that he stinks.

The oral solution that I use. Do you think it's quality too?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I can't understand how his breath can be that bad if there is nothing physically wrong and he's on a quality food.

Brush teeth every day and put up with it is my only solution!!

Like I say, it's probably just puppy breath! We have to love our dogs, smells and all.

Jonn

The dog has been wormed, and he's also vaccinated against canine distemper, canine parvovirus, canine hepatitis virus.

Since it's "just the breath" I haven't been to vet yet about it. I mean he's happy and fit in all other aspects....

What do you think about the oral solution that I use?

Jonn

Dublicating my message again... Sorry about it. I just couldn't see if the first one was posted or not... Anyway. Thanks a lot for your answers! Anyone that got any ideas on how to cure this nauseous dog?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Can't comment on the breath spray. My guess is your pup is either eating his poo or it's just puppy breath.

It is probably puppy breath. But if not, I would take him to the vet. Bad breath can indicate lots of things that are wrong. But at 12 weeks, I would put money on it that ts puppy breath. No it doesnt smell great, but it will go away with time.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Take your dog to the vet. If it is not normal puppy breath it could indicate a real problem!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Don't know if this will solve your problem, but we give our dogs a dose of Solid Gold Seameal in both the morning and evening.

I don't know the exact mechanism behind it, but it improves their breath vastly. Maybe the chlorophyll? Possibly? (any thoughts people?) If he goes for a week off of the sea meal, I definitely notice stank breath when he pants in my direction. With the sea meal it's very faint. He can pant next to my head and it doesn't bother me.

At the very least, a bottle will last you forever and it's good for other furry pets you might have (rabbits, horses, cats, etc.) It's high in dietary iodine so gives thyroid support, and has enzymes so helps a bit with loose stool and gas too.

We keep our dog's teeth clean and they eat quality food. Sometimes dog breath is just dog breath, and isn't appetizing no matter how healthy the animal is.

Jonn

Very thankful for all ideas you're coming up with. The Solid Gold Seameal seems like a good idea... I'll try that before going to the vet. Hope it doesn't indicate anything realy bad!

Anyhow.. If it's just puppy breath, about when is the time of its' natural disappearing? I am afraid it's not just puppy breath since I know that friends' puppys have a distinct breath, but their breaths aren't even close to having the nauseous smell of Albus' (my dogs name) breath... He's a Finnish Lapphund, and I can't find any info on the internet of when the puppy breath normaly disappears on his breed.. Anyone know?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
TAKE THIS DOG TO A VET!
Excessively bad breath can indicate something very serious!

Members online