So I am not too sure about the Greyhound..

iwantmypup

Well, Retired Racing Greyhounds.
I like them...I like a lot of dogs. But they were never really..like, they never automatically appealed to me..
I've given up looking for a dog anyways...but when I do start looking again it will be hard.

Of course, if I had met one it might be different... ;)

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
If they did not appeal to you, why are you looking at them?
Sighthounds are different in many ways than other breed types. They would to do things but in the house, given a choice would rather sleep on a couch. Love to take a 5 mile walk or a good run with you, but in the house,= where is the couch.. They are sensive, kenetic in nature- I swear they read your minds. None pushy, want to be admired, gentle soft touches... Independant minded, not shy of strangers but hardly greeting like a golden would. To a sightound its " what have you done for me lately- I do not know you- back off.."... Totally different attitude. And this coming from a lady that had shepherds for over 20 years...
Retired greys- well remember- raised in kennels, use to pushing to get ahead and may have no concept of steps or windows..
Sighthounds are the oldest of all breeds, and the least changed. Also, except for the Irish, the least likely for health issues plaguing other large dogs..

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Oh man, I know a gorgeous retired racer that would steal away any apprehensions you may have about this breed, and this area (retired racers, RRs).
I definitely agree with the above post, and am convinced that sighthounds are not the dogs for everyone by any means. But a time-giving owner with some experience will get so much pleasure from RR rescues it's amazing.

Do you know exactly what it is that's holding you back, in any way at all?:confused:

iwantmypup

Aww Smexy..they sure are adorable..

Borzoimom, I am looking into them because some very nowledgeable members said that a retired racing Greyhound would be perfect for our lifestyle. :)

Ravennr, you know...this is probably really really silly, and I know that it's completely untrue. But they seem so fragile..They are petite..and I feel like it would be much to worry about.. Their look never really appealed to me much..

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My thoughts are if it never really appealed to you then I would look at something else. A thing to remember though is that the breeds that appeal most to you visually are often not the best for your lifestyle. many breeds you might not be head over heels for their looks (at least initially) may be great fits and you find they'll really grow on you once you get to know the breed better and come to appreciate the breed for what it is.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I agree. ^

And why stick to breeds? Why not look at shelters and rescues? Are you guys actually getting another dog or is this for future reference?

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Retired greys are wonderful pets. I looked into twice. Typical sighthounds. I would just rather someone know that these are sighthounds and obviously these dogs were not raised in the house, no concept of even windows or stairs etc and use to being able to run daily. Even my couch pototoes can fly like greased lightening daily outside. The rest of the time curled up on the sofa or their own mattresses.. If you wanted to do agility etc just keep in mind- these are very independant minded dogs- like most sighthounds are. They can do it, but it takes approach of letting them think " they thought of it" verses how some other breed types are trained.

Last edited:

iwantmypup

YEp! I totally agree Laurelin.

BP, when I find the "perfect breed" we aren't like, going to a breeder or anything...when we go to shelters or rescues (those are where I plan to get a dog from) I want to atleast have in my mind the dogs breeds that would be okay for us..and breeds that would erm..be a bit harder, lol. And yeah, this is for future.

BM, they seem awesome. I mean, I am sure they are really good dogs. :)

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
They are great dogs but if you think I am being negative- if you speak with a rescue group that works with race track greys, they have even more to say. Ironically a retired racer would work here if we were so compelled. Femka would not take any guff, can out manuever anything, and Zubin is like a bull in a china closet and would not mind the bumping and jostle.. However we have a pup coming in a little while and my heart belongs to a Borzoi. Having had shepherds, a few dobes, collies, belgiums all those years, its odd I would end up with a sighthound- but they fit our lifestyle. I like calm peace, and a sighthound gives me that. While not a "watch dog" like the shepherds were, they tell you if someone is around even though not barking. ( they pace looking out the window). If a borzoi or grey bark- something is seriously amiss.. My dogs bark- I jump- I know something is horribly wrong.. And I come flying..

Romy

Taxiderpy
My advice? Go meet one! It's is a whole other thing to meet one in person, it's nothing like looking at the pictures.

My husband used to hate greyhounds. He said they looked wimpy, frail, and scared, like giant frail chihuahuas. We were lucky enough to live near a track with two rescue groups, and so I took him to meet some of the rescue dogs. When he met Sergio, a 36" at the shoulder brindle dog who was just off the track, mellow and grinning from ear to ear, rippling muscles with every step he took...well, Robert's jaw pretty much hit the floor. And now he loves them.

They are large, tough, docile, and loving. Really great dogs that have to be seen in person to be appreciated. I can't think of any other dog breed that could spend the first 4-5 years of it's life kenneled with minimal human contact, and still be able to adapt to being such a wonderful loving companion. That to me says more than anything about the breed.

so, after you meet some in person, THEN decide. :D It sounds like you aren't sure, but something about them is making you hang on. Meet some and find out if they are really the dog for you.

bubbatd

A friend of mine rescued two . Both became Therapy Dogs . Lovely fellows !

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My roomie is wanting to adopt a RR Grey this fall when her schedual settles. I'm kind of looking forward to it! I like Grey's but I don't know if they're exactly the breed for me in a permanent sense, so this way I get the best of both worlds. :D

Criosphynx

I think that if you know the dog will fit your lifestyle, the look isn't important. The look will grow on you. Promise. Everyone thinks their dog is gorgeous. Kinda like having an ugly kid. ;)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Sort of in defense of never liking them much:

If you really don't like the look of a dog (not just eh, whatever, but don't like it) or you just don't much like the breed, then suitable for your lifestyle shouldn't push you into getting one. There are so many breeds and mixes out there that you should be able to find one that suits you perfectly, if not 100% in all ways.

There are many perfectly good breeds (or mixes of those breeds) that might be perfect for me according to all the "factors", but that i will probably never own, either because I really don't like the look, or the dogs, though perfectly nice, don't appeal to me much. I'll actually give pit bulls as an example. I know a lot of them, I like them fine, they are sweet and funny dogs. But I don't want one. I can't really explain why, but I don't. They just aren't "me". Same with a lot of the spaniels, which my father adores. Very nice dogs. But they're tendancy to follow my father everywhere staring at him with sad, adoring eyes actually drives me nuts. As for looks, one of the bullies, the bull terrier, just doesn't appeal to me visually at all. I don't like that head. I'll never like that head. Nothing wrong with it, but I really don't like it.

But you should see the dogs in person first . . . greyhounds are very different in person.

ufimych

I was looking at all kinds of sighthounds for years. Eventually, I bought three Saluki, which I currently have. They suit my life style well. We have a house on 90 acres of land and dog friendly neighbors. The dogs work as my companions in my walking trips in fields and woods. They work as vermint killers well. Foxes and coyotes were stealing our chickens and deer were chewing on our fruit trees. Now, my Saluki chase them away very well. Sometimes they catch and kill a groundhog or a cottontail. This is OK, I take the game, cook it and feed it to my dogs. Saluki is hardy enough to live outside in Virginia climate. They are best tolerating hot weather and remain outside in winter. I made sturdy doghouses filled with hay. Each dog runs free under my supervision every day from one to three hours. My dogs are waiting for a moment, when I let them loose. However, I turn them loose only in certain combinations: one female or two males at a time. If I let a pair out, they may travel for a while, chasing something with a greater persistence. I want them to stick closer to me and the house. Azawakh is exactly made for this, but, unfortunately, the Azawakh is not tolerant of cold weather.

Members online

No members online now.