catching a urine sample....

mjb

Anyone know the best way? Does the vet usually want you to do this if they are checking for kidney/urinary tract infection?

I remember when Spanky was a puppy, and we had to catch one, but I don't remember why. We tried with a tin pie pan, and it scared him to death!! We did get a little, though, but it wasn't easy.

I'm taking Spanky in Wednesday, and I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and get a sample. He's asking to go outside constantly, and I just got to thinking maybe he's having some trouble. His stools are normal. We just switched him from a prescription diet for weight loss (Sci. Diet) to a much higher quality food, and he's just more active all around since then, so maybe he's just wanting to outside and fiddle around.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and try to get a urine sampe when I go in, and, if I do, what's the easiest way to do it.

elegy

overdogged
you could try a plastic container. might not be as scary as a tin pie pan. you could also try a ladle.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I make a pie shape bowl out of aluminum foil that I can hold behind my back until the moment the stream starts.

bubbatd

First of all , find out if they want a sample . Then go by the above suggestions . Being short , I have one of those high shelf grabbers ...have worked well with a paper or plastic cup . You don't need much ! I was at the vet when a guy came in with a stool sample ....a huge plastic bag full !!! Everyone broke up !!!

Members online