Selecting a dog

zaidoo

I want to buy a dog. Give me best possible options which dog should be suitable for me. I live alone in a single apartment and will have time for the dog in the morning and after office at 5 pm. I want to keep him in my room and I want a friendly dog which is also a guard dog and would take him outside daily for a walk. Suggesstions?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Just wondering why you need a "guard dog" type.

have you ever had a dog before, do you have training experience, what time of energy level are you looking for, are you planning on DOING anything with your dogs ie. sports?

zaidoo

I had a dog in the past. Well guard dog isn't necessary but would be a + if he has that attribute. I want him to share time with me when I come back from the office. Go outside for a walk and stay in my room so I could have a good time. Be nice with my gf when she visits me and should not be a threat if he sleeps on my bed.

Dalmation?

American Pit Bull?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Do NOT get a Dal! They were bred to run, and they need LOTS of excercise. A Dal sitting in your room all day would go crazy! Pits are working dogs and need a lot of exercise too, and might not work well either.

Maxy24

when you say guard dog do you mean he will just bark his head off or could actually take down an intruder? Because my uncles Shih-Tzu will alert anyone of everything but my Dog (shar-pei mix) was much more likely to take someone down if they broke in but would only bark when he did not like someone outside, but not just at any people who would come into the yard.

milos_mommy

i would say some sort of mix from a shelter, probably a young dog (not a puppy), possibly a lab or shep mix. also, will you be crating the dog while you're at work? and what time do you leave for work? if you're going to leave at 7 am and not be back til 5pm, get a lizard or a cat or something. a dog needs a lot of attention and time spent with it, especially a young dog.

a young adult dog 2-5, would probably be best, because they won't be as energetic or demanding as a puppy. a dalmation is not a good choice, depending on the individual pit bull, it might be. just be sure you know about the pit bull's temperment before you bring it home. they can be the most sweet, loving, affection dogs, but they can also come from a home of a$$holes and be taught agression.

don't rush out and buy a puppy right away. do your research. go to different breed websites to find out more about them, and look at local shelters. someone there will be able to help match you to a dog.

a great dane might be not be a terrible choice. they're fairly mellow, affectionate, not super-high energy, and of an intimidating size.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
^ Yes, he was considering a doberman or GSD. Neither of those, they need a lot of time with their people and lot of exercise.
How many hours a day do you plan spending with your dog?
I don't know if a dog at all is right for you, how long are you away from home a day? It sounds like you are away from home a long time.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Zaidoo.. some questions you need to answer before we can give you any really constructive help:

How much time do you spend at work?
How often do you currently exercise? I've found most times, when people say "I'm willing to exercise my dog" who don't actually exercise, it doesn't work out.
How much EXPERIENCE do you have with a dog?
What kind of funds do you have? Ie.. would a medium-size dog be best for you, or a large, or can you afford a giant breed? (The breeds suitability for you should be taken into consideration first) This question does NOT need to be told to us... just thought about yourself. It's important.
How much time in the mornign will you have for the dog? How much time in the evening?
If things are really serious between you and your gf, and she doesn't like the the dog, will it be rehomed? If this is the case, it's not a good idea for you to get a dog. Any dog will like her if she is kind and firm with it.

Dals are HIGH ENERGY. As are Dobes. They would NOT do well in an apartment if you're gone 7+ hours a day (well, perhaps an older individual might.. but it'd take a lot of searching) When you say "pit bull" you are being SO general. "Pit bulls" are not a breed, but a LOT of breeds commonly referred to as "pit bulls." Some bully breeds are low energy, some are high, and it always depends upon the individual dog. American Pit Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers are the two breeds MOST commonly referred to as "pit bulls," even though many breeds fall under the category.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
i would say some sort of mix from a shelter, probably a young dog (not a puppy), possibly a lab or shep mix. also, will you be crating the dog while you're at work? and what time do you leave for work? if you're going to leave at 7 am and not be back til 5pm, get a lizard or a cat or something. a dog needs a lot of attention and time spent with it, especially a young dog.
A young lab mix, or a gsd mix is NOT a good idea for just staying in an apartment and getting a walk...;)

Roxy23

Ox is my boy!
Shouldn't you first figure out what the pound limit and breed restrictions are for you apartment complex and then go from there?

Members online

No members online now.