Would you get a dog off craigslist?

• Yes

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Red Velvet Cake :D

Votes: 12 21.4%

• Total voters
I'd like to add that we got Crystal off of kijiji (so basically craigslist) and she's a wonderful dog. It definitely didn't have to jump through a lot of the hoops needed to buy a rescue dog, but it was evident that her owner did care who she went to. It was a good experience for me, so I'm more likely to buy a dog off of craigslist than from a rescue.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Sort of squicks me out, but I won't say never ever. I would probably never consider looking there though.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I voted for cake :D I am not against Craigslist or kijiji. But I am not likely to get a dog where I don't know the breeding or history.
I voted Cake as well. LOL I don't see myself getting a dog off of Craigslist...I'm at the stage of my life I really don't want a "project dog." My first rottie came from the local animal shelter and I've been there, done that. I wouldn't write off rescuing another dog again...but it would be from a reputable rescue that fosters dogs and temperament tests.

I came within an inch of doing it. I saw a dog on CL that I could almost be positive was Gimmicks sister. I jumped for her, but someone else got her first. Hope she's ok and loved.

JacksonsMom

Yup, I probably would. Next dog I really want to come from a good breeder just because I've never done that before. But I would certainly get a dog off craigslist if the right one came around. I also would prefer it rather than dealing w/ rescue.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Strider came from a breeder off craigslist. She was trying (successfully) to start a nonprofit SD organization and something prompted her to post an ad looking for disabled handlers that possibly wanted to owner train a puppy prospect. So glad she did. <3

Grab

Nog is a Craigslist dog. I think I got a pretty fabulous deal, lol.

Elrohwen

I got one of my rabbits off of Craigslist and it was a very good experience, so I would probably get a dog from there. It is nice that there are no hoops to jump for, but then I think a good rescue is more accountable for their dogs and trying to match them correctly (and taking them back if it's really not working out).

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I don't think I would actively seek out a CL or Kijiji dog.
But if the right dog caught my attention, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Brattina88

Bailey is technically from craigslist. Kinda :p lol

A rescue friend gave me her former owners contact info before she came into the rescue. She also told me she had an ad on craigslist. I looked up the ad before e-mailing. I e-mailed and called, and even though I couldn't go see her until that following Friday, she took the ad down and "held" her for me :eek:

kady05

Wilson & Piper are both "Craigslist dogs".

Wilson is amazing, couldn't ask for a better temperament and health wise *knock on wood* he's never had any issues. He came from an "oops" litter (apparently the neighbors American Bulldog dug under her fence). The girl who had the pups was actually pretty decent and made sure they went on spay/neuter contracts. All vaccines were UTD for their age, pups were clean & well taken care of, etc. I saw this:

and couldn't resist going to see them (Wilson's on the far left). Mind you, this was back in '09 before I really knew a whole lot about BYB's and such. She did have mom spayed right after this, and I've kept in touch with a few of the other puppy owners. So all in all, a great outcome.

Now Piper.. whole different ball game. Lady who bred her told me she rescued a litter, so I was assuming it was a foster situation, something like that. It was clear when I got there that it wasn't. There were roaches crawling up walls, pups peeing all over the place and no one cleaning anything, it was disgusting. Found out that they decided to breed the female because she was blue. And pretty. Ugh. Long story short, I gave them $50 just to get Piper out of there.

Piper is my train wreck dog. I'm over $6k in vet bills just in the past year & a half with both of her TTA's and rehab for them. As a pup she had demodex as well as other various skin issues. Stomach issues were also a problem for a year or so when she was younger. She seems to have grown out of the skin & stomach issues, thankfully. Now we just have to manage her arthritis that comes along with the TTA's. She's also "lumpy" and has already had 2 fatty tumors removed.. has another 2 or 3 growing currently. We call her our "Money Pit" for a reason.

In the future, no, I will not seek out a dog from CL. I plan on having Amstaffs (and maybe a Frenchie or another breed) here on out and those will all be from reputable breeders. No more BYB, unknown history/lineage dogs.

Sekah

The Monster.
I'm really, really picky when it comes to dogs. I love certain dogs a great deal, but I am not what I would call a dog lover. I normally refer to myself as a dog nerd.

So, with that said, no, I'm not likely to get a dog from CL/Kijiji. I'd probably only get puppies from breeders after careful research on their lines, etc. I could see myself maybe taking home a friend's foster if I meet the dog and fall in love, but it would be highly, highly dependant on the situation.

Elrohwen

After reading some other responses, I should say that while I would be about as likely to get a dog from Craigslist as from a rescue, I'm far more likely to buy from a breeder. I'm just too picky about what I want and I like to plan and know (as well as possible) what I'm getting into.

So while I have no issues with a Craigslist dog vs a rescue, it's unlikely I would personally get one from either place.

And I also answered cake ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes, I anticipate pretty much all my dogs will be breeder dogs too. But I still want to rescue a senior or two one day.

I want to ammend my answer. I don't know that I would get any dog at this point, short of a pup from a breeder, without the chance to try it out and foster it Shelters can lie. Look age Gambit. They knew he had been feral, and knew that he was a coy, but failed to pass that info on. If they had been honest, I would have never taken him.

Quiddich is another example. He came from a good shelter run by one of my best friends. I know she was honest about what she saw, and that she fely his biggest issue was that he was a puppy raised in a shelter who needed some manners put on him. But he loved everyone.

Well, once he had been home a few weeks with an actual owner, hks shar-pei came out and he started to show some gaurdy/protective behaviors. He's still great, but what she saw and wht I saw were two very different things.

So I would bemost likely to take a dog I could do a trial run with, regaless of the source

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I had voted yes. Really though, it depends. Would I take a dog needing a home that is being given away off from kijiji/CraigsList? Yes. Would I buy a dog (or "adoption fee") off kijiji/CraigsList? No.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I wouldn't NOT get a dog off craigslist - in other words, I wouldn't go "ugh, but it's on craigslist" and not take it. I ditto Jess too, I wouldn't "buy" one off craigslist but I would adopt one that needed a home.

That said I have very specific desires with my dogs so it's unlikely to happen. The only case I can really see is, like Laur, a senior dog who needs help. I have such a soft spot for senior dogs... so... yeah. But that is most likely going to come from a sheltie rescue rather than just randomly finding one on craigslist.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
My family has gotten a dog of CL - Rocky! I found him and sent the ad to my mom and she wanted him. He had some issues with marking around the house, but that has really improved. Otherwise Rocky has been a good dog.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Not opposed but not likely to happen either, at least given my current state of affairs. More likely to support a good breeder with dogs/lines I adore who does all the things I consider to be important.

But if I have an open spot in the household and the right dog needs a safe place to land, hey I'm all for it. I'm just not likely to notice since I don't look.

After all the last CL dog I met is pretty fantastic and my puppy has a boycrush on him.

Members online

No members online now.