GSD Captain left for dead in dumpster

Xandra

To be fair they dont' know if he was beaten or if he was hit by a car.

To me it's completely plausible that he was struck, his owner picked up a bloody lifeless dog, wrapped it in blankets and put it in the dumpster.

I am not obviously not talking about someone with a Chazzer mentality here. But IME there are a lot of people who are not a 1/100th as sentimental about dogs as dog-lovers, even though they like them and wouldn't abuse them. And there are lot of people who are not sentimental about dead bodies.

I love my with all of my heart. But if they were to just drop dead....well....they would probably end up in the dumpster as well. Burial is not an option here, and I do not care for cremation. Plus, to me at least, it's just a body. It's nothing.

rophias

I agree with Gandhi

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treatedâ€. - Gandhi

yoko

I mean even if the dog is dead already isn't it illegal to throw away dead animals??

I understand not everyone is like a Chazzer. But still...

Xandra

Yes it's still illegal but improperly disposing of a dog is no cause for city-wide outrage as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't looked into it for a while but last time I read up on it, my scenario was looking very unlikely.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
It's pretty awful to throw a dog in a dumpster... especially if you aren't sure they're dead! I would bring any dog to a local vet that I found dying or dead on the street. They could have a microchip!

That's assuming that he was hit by a car. It just seems weird to me, for someone to wrap a dog in a sheet and hide him in a dumpster if they didn't have something to hide.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
You'd be amazed how dead something can look and not quite be dead. I remember once hitting a wild rabbit with my car I was so sure I killed the little buggar outright as it lay there prone. I even picked it up and put it on the roadside figuring it'd be an easy meal for some wild critter and continued down my driveway. I was no stranger to dead rabbits - I raised at the time and butchered hundreds a year.

30 minutes later I hear the **** thing squealing. Not dead - apparently just gravely wounded and suffering. Happily I was able to end his plight rather quickly and permanently.

I am on the fence with this story. It's totally possible to hit a dog with a car - think it's dead and put it in a dumpster with no ill will intended.

Xandra

Last time I read up on it, the dog was found with a bag of towels covered in fecal matter, the guy who is supposed to have owned the dog (and they talked with neighbours and the dog's previous owner) has restraining order on him by some women, his mom says he has mental issues, they found piles of dog feces in his apartment, and a neighbour reported hearing a noise like someone beating something from his room's direction the night before the dog was found (mind you, he came forward after the hype). So it certainly sounds like the dog was beaten, not struck by a car.

That said I think it's important to keep in mind that a LOT of people have a pretty simplistic view of animals. Vancouver has a ton of immigrants from all over, and in a lot of places in the world, vets aren't as widely used and pets are not seen as family members. For an animal that was struck by a car, is bloody and appears lifeless, it might not even occur to some people to take the body to the vet. This doesn't mean that they are cruel or apathetic to the animal's suffering. This wasn't like people throwing healthy puppies into a dumpster. The dog was in such bad shape that it quite reasonably could have appeared lifeless at some point, in fact it's a pretty good bet that dogs' owner thought he'd beat the dog to death when he disposed of it.

Matrix

It's the suffering that churns my stomach

Captain was horribly beaten to within an inch of his life and who knows what unbearable pain he endured and was in when found - no animal deserves such cruelty and abuse.

On the same token there are wives and kids beaten (and a few husbands!) that also suffer from the hands of others.

Our world has turned so more violent and I just wonder why?

What has to be done to change things around - because what we have now is not working in preventing such atrocities - which should never be accepted as part of normal behavior in "today's world".

R.I.P. Captain - you deserved better.

Members online

No members online now.