thinking about the next dog (again)

Dogs6

Plus One
You pretty much described my English Springer Spaniel (I have the field). She will have the energy and drive to do pretty much everything, super intelligent and a lover at home as long as properly exercised.
I’ve gotta say, I also have a English Springer Spaniel (field) and he fits your description really well!

He is 50 lbs

Definitely high energy, but a great off switch in the house where he turns into a total cuddle bug!

Very athletic: We are near the top of our class in agility, he runs with me, swims while I kayak, plays fetch, hikes alongside me etc. He just loves to be where the action is.

Very obedient and smart but also quite quirky – always has me laughing.

Great around small dogs and cats – will adjust his “force†to the size of his playmate

Zero DA

Low maintenance coat. I brush him daily and clean his ears weekly, but that’s mostly because I enjoy doing it. He doesn’t require anything fancy.

Mine is very aloof with strangers but I don’t think that’s the norm. I got him at 6 months so he came with the fear issues – but has been coming along just wonderfully!

I just love him and would get another ESS when the time is right. Good luck with your decision. How do I attach pictures? I would love to share some!

This describes Taz as well who can stay inside all day without exercise and then be crated for 3 hours while we go shopping and come out of the crate and settle down while we are unpacking everything and then as soon as you go to take him out he is ready and works at everything his very hardest.

Now if you were looking for a dog as soon as possible we could talk :rofl1:

At the ,imute he has just came through his SECONnd bratty stage but if he has another one EVER he is all yours :lol-sign:

elegy

overdogged
i really really wish there were more tollers around here so that i could meet more of them. they sound so appealing on paper.

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
I have both BCs and Aussies... the BCs are much more drivey. Shye lacks an offswitch. Neither of my Aussies are particularly overdriven... and both are capable of kinda cooling their jets when the time is needed that they do so.

All my boys weigh in around 45 pounds each.... The BCs require less coat maintenance than the Aussies do. At least with mine.....

BleuButterfly

Papillon Fancier
You may want to look more into the Long Haired Whippet. Some say that they have a bit of Sheltie blood in them. **Don't know if that's true or not...**

Tollers may work. I haven't met many, except at dog shows. How about Flat Coated Retriever? Chesapeak or Curly? English Cockers, Springers, or Setters? If you are wanting to do lure coursing, then maybe an Ibizan? Irish Wolfhound? Saluki?

Just some ideas. ;) And, WHY do you want another breed besides the paps?! Joking.LOL. From personal experience River, my show pap, HATES Welsh Springers. I had a huge interest in them, but have decided against them. However, she doesn't mind English Springers (bench). Oh, and River is afraid of bully types. River didn't like the Saluki she met once.

Dekka

Just try me..
You may want to look more into the Long Haired Whippet. Some say that they have a bit of Sheltie blood in them. **Don't know if that's true or not...**
HIJACK :D there is one 'organization' that promotes percentage LHW and they are admitted crosses of whippets and things to get their version of the LHW.

However I was referring to regular long haired whippets. Nothing in them but whippet. The long haired whippet is like a long haired rottie, or dal.. only it used to be an allowable coat type along with a wire coat. But wire coats and long coats fell out of fashion. Wire coats are dominant so were easily lost. The long hair seems to be multiallelic and is recessive so can hide for generations.

Bounce is a very typical example of a well bred well socialized whippet. Bouncy, friendly, quick to learn and quick to decide she's done enough lol.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Doberman ;)

To keep within your weight range you'd have to get a female, which would probably be better for you anyway. They tend to live with other females a lot better than males live with males. When they are raised with small dogs you usually don't end up with a problem.

Super fast, independent, biddable, aloof - you can use them for hunting as well, but you'd have to train the behavior more than a sporting breed. Almost zilch for grooming, show lines have an off switch, and they don't take up much room.

BleuButterfly

Papillon Fancier
Dekka, I have no real life experience with the LH Whippet. Can't you tell? :p It is so confusing one "organization" says they have Sheltie blood, the other say purebred Whippets, another says Whippet x mix = "LH Whippet.", and yet another has Borzoi x Whippet (Silken).

I have seen a long hair rottie in rl. I understand that long coats sometimes pop up in some breeds.

Lauralin, I would personaly go with one of your <3 breeds. When thinking about different breeds, I try to look honestly at myself. I want to get a dog that I am compatible with. We can sit her all day reccomending different breeds that *we* think would suit you. These are just suggestions. Anyway, my input.

I hope you find the dog of your dreams. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks guys for all the advice! Hanging out with Erin and Jude really put my mind to ease with the BCs and my lifestyle. She's in an apartment and young and single like I am. And exercises Jude about the same amount of time that I exercise Mia. I still like the Ibizans, Tollers, and brittanies a lot though. But hey, I have a few years to decide LOL.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'm glad you met Jude, as he's probably a very good example of a Border Collie's activeness, etc.

Members online

No members online now.