Hachiko?

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ok, most dog people have heard the story of the Japanese Akita that waited for 10 years at a train station for his owner after the owner died at work. This was memorialized by the Japanese as an example to follow of devout loyalty (though in the case of the Japanese, they wanted loyalty to their government)

Anyways, they made a movie about this dog. Richard Gere is the owner :rolleyes: and Hachiko appears to be played by either a really small Akita or a Shiba Inu. Since we all know how movies manage to make breeds that have no business being mass produced (Not that any breed should be) I'm wondering if anyone thinks this could happen with Akitas? I'm hoping the stigma of them being overtly violent will keep the masses of idiots away and maybe a few intellectuals will actually look into them after seeing the film. Or maybe no one will see it and the breed will be safe.

Also, here's the trailer, does the dog look like an Akita? The little guy's ear set and stature really screams Shiba Inu to me.

YouTube - Hachiko: A Dog's Tale - Official Movie Trailer

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I heard they adopted an akita and trained him for the movie.

looks like its gonna be a tear jerker!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Hmm, maybe they have prolonged the plot of the movie to contain the dog's puppyhood. According to IMDB "Factual errors: The puppies playing Hachiko's part early in the movie are actually Shiba dogs and not Akitas, Hachiko's true breed." Which explains my confusion. I guess the grown up Hachiko is an Akita.

Lolas Dad

As with most dogs in movies unfortunately more demand for the dog breed will probably be the case. The reason being is that most people do not research the breed before they get a dog. How many times have you seen a craigs list ad of someone looking for a dog and the only thing they might be specific about is the size. I'm seeing it everyday and every day I am emailing those people and asking them if they have a specific breed in mind. They reply usually saying any breed and that is when I tell them that they should settle for one or two breeds because you are making a lifetime commitment. Usually I will also give them a few links to a few websites that you answer questions and it suggests a breed according to how they answer.

In the same email I give them the link to petfinder and let them know that they can select the breed that is right for them. I think some people just get a dog for the novelty of owning one. The other thing people need to know is that every dog has it's own personality. When Lola's time comes to be at the rainbow bridge and I decide to get another Japanese Chin that dog will have a different personality than Lola does. The only thing I can hope for is that the personalities are similar.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Well,

after the OJ thing, they got popular.

I'm really thinking that my next puppy might be an Akita, but that's a loooong time away. I've always really loved the breed, but if I do get one, I want it to be after I have kids.

They're tough to socialize properly, although I'm sure there are a few outgoing akitas.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Haha after I saw the clip I was like... pup part is a Shiba and adult is an Akita. Looks like a nice movie!

And shiba's arent really that hard to train... or the people I know that have about 15 of them wouln't be doing agility! LOL

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The older dog looks like a Japanese Akita instead of an American Akita (there is a big difference). We're more used to the American type here. I think it's weird it's not set in Japan, though it looks good!

Looks like an Shiba inu as a puppy, but an akita as an adult.
The older dog looks like a Japanese Akita instead of an American Akita (there is a big difference). We're more used to the American type here. I think it's weird it's not set in Japan, though it looks good!
I was thinking the same. :p

Grab

I said the same thng when the puppy came on screen 'that is a Shiba':p

Not a fan of Richard Gere as an actor, though, so will probably wait for dvd:p

Zoom

Twin 2.0
What everyone else has said..."puppy Hachi" is a Shiba and grown Hachi is a Japanese Akita.

BostonBanker

Oh, lord. I was getting teary just watching the preview. I'm such a sap for animal stories.

And shiba's arent really that hard to train... or the people I know that have about 15 of them wouln't be doing agility! LOL
CPE people? I assume they are the same people I see every CPE trial I go to! The husband actually judged the last one I was at. They do a nice job with those dogs, although every one I've known and dealt with certainly had that Nordic dog "why should I?" attitude.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Well,

after the OJ thing, they got popular.

I'm really thinking that my next puppy might be an Akita, but that's a loooong time away. I've always really loved the breed, but if I do get one, I want it to be after I have kids.

They're tough to socialize properly, although I'm sure there are a few outgoing akitas.
You should meet my brother's akita. Ranger is the biggest love schmoodle lipped galoot on the planet, he reminds me of a massive happy go lucky toddler, lol.

Then again, my brother made certain to have 100 strangers handle, hold, and feed him treats before he turned 15 weeks old. It's amazing what socialization will do for a puppy.

Members online

No members online now.