Pitties, staffies, and amstaffs

Picklepaige

I know that "pit bulls" are actually three different breeds, but I've always had trouble telling them apart. So, after studying pictures, this is what I've come up with. Can anyone tell me if this is incorrect? Staffies are really broad with short legs. They look the least bulliest of the three. Amstaffs and really muscular with larger heads than any of them. American Pit Bull Terriers are slimmer and taller, with smaller heads. Is that an ok way to tell them apart?

I would say that the Staffordshire Bull Terriers are the most bully of the three. They are also the smallest, I think 15-30 pounds at most. They are short and rather bulky. They always have natural ears. Their most common colors seem to be black and brindle, but you see others. They are the least common of the three breeds mentioned.

The AmStaff and the Pit Bull can look alike if you're talking about "show-bred" lines. In fact, they can be interbred, since you can take an AmStaff and register it as an APBT. It doesn't help matters that there is a massive range within the APBT, since they were bred to conform, not look alike.

All of the following are APBTs, and some of them could pass for AmStaffs as well, while others are more recognizeable as a single breed, IMO.

Makes it as clear as mud, right?

MelissaCato

ĜȫƝ ₩īĿÐ
Nemos is Razors Edge blood, he's the largest of his litter. His sisters and brothers are 1/2 his size. Keep in mind though I feed RAW/Barf so that makes a big difference with growing up. :D

I've heard though that Razor's Edge Blood isn't true Pit Bull, but I don't believe it.

Here he is .... whatcha think?

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Terra and Loki remind me of the PERFECT example of APBTs.

APBTs aren't supposed to have GIGANTIC heads and weigh 80 lbs.
It's so hard to tell now-a-days because so many mixtures have been added, which to me, has changed the standard by default, to most people.

To me, and this only my opinion, of course, but Terra has the PERFECT head for an APBT. Could be because she's still a pup (and one of my favorite APBT pups), and Loki does, too. A nice, regular sized head with a strong jaw. I'm absolutely NO expert by any means on what a true, conformation APBT should look like or a true to breed APBT looks like, but honestly, I'm sick of hearing from people that these 90 lbs. APBTs are "the real thing".
Loki and Terra have perfect heads in shape and size.
Heck, I even think Ella has more of a true APBT head shape and size than a lot of apbts I see, and Ella is SO far from being conformationally correct and she's probably not even a full apbt.
But I LOVE her head. Her ears make it look even smaller because they're SO gigantic. Ella has a small head compared to what a lot of apbts have now-a-days.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Nemos is Razors Edge blood, he's the largest of his litter. His sisters and brothers are 1/2 his size. Keep in mind though I feed RAW/Barf so that makes a big difference with growing up. :D

I've heard though that Razor's Edge Blood isn't true Pit Bull, but I don't believe it.

Here he is .... whatcha think?

From what I've been able to gather, Razor's Edge USED TO breed true APBTs.
But haven't for a while.
Now they breed these gigantic, not-true-to-conformation APBTs and most their dogs end up so far out of standard.

Actually, if you loook at their site, they're not even APBTs, they're "American Bullys".
They're not conformationally correct and definitely NOT what an old school or TRUE Apbt is.

Not that your dog isn't beautiful, he definitely is, but no, razor's edge dogs are not APBTs. They state it on their site.

MelissaCato

ĜȫƝ ₩īĿÐ
Alot of Pit people tell me he's too big, jaw to long, legs to long, not the right brindle color, head to small for his body ... what ever they can say while their Pit stands next to mine.

It sickens me sometimes, because all they do is dock him and he stands there like a champ the whole time minding his manners.. while their dogs are longing and yapping to get to him while they talk their jive. It's good these dogs don't understand conversations to be honest :yikes:

I see these same people and their Pits at the Pulls and not a one can beat Nemos. Not a one. He's 14 months old now. We love him.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
He's still a bully in my eyes. I just meant that if you're going by APBT conformation standards, Razor's Edge pit bulls are not APBTs.

And, yeah, a good trained, APBT would be more controlled and probably not "yap" at your dog, but some are that dog aggressive.

I'm not going to lie, but Ella would definitely yap at your dog. But she has issues that we're working through. But Ella also isn't a standard APBT.

And a lot of younger pit bulls can be better with dogs. He is only 14 months old.

I love his brindling and I'm not sure how it's incorrect. That's news to me.

Razor's Edge dogs are known for being good pull dogs because they have the drive of the APBT but the strength and size that their outcrosses bring to the table ;) I have no problem with outcrossing for a specific purpose but the breeders of these outcrosses and their puppy buyers need to realize just what it is that is in their dog and be honest about it.

Direct from the razor's edge kennel site:

Razor's Edge Bloodline...
The home of the "American Bully"
American bred
Courage and strength
A head above the rest
And now
America's breed
"The American Bully"
The Razor's Edge bloodline continues...
http://www.razorsedgekennel.com/RE.html

And then from "Elite Edge World" which appears to be a sister kennel to Razor's Edge

General impression
The American Bully should give the impression of great strength for his size. The breed is well put-together and is muscular, but agile and graceful, and keenly alive to their surroundings. The American Bully should be stocky, and not long-legged or racy in outline. The breed is very outgoing with an eagerness to please. Their courage is proverbial

he American Bully breed was established in the mid 1990’s with the purpose of creating the ultimate family companion. The American Bully was created through years of selective breeding by combining the desired traits of the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Bully possesses the loyalty and stability of the American Pit Bull Terrier while retaining the sociable, amiable, and outgoing temperament of the American Staffordshire Terrier. This unique breed is noted for displaying extreme tolerance with children and an overwhelming eagerness to please its family. Confident, yet not aggressive, this breed possesses a very pleasant temperament.

Physically, the American Bully has an impressive, athletic build, which is both muscular and defined, and displays strength and agility. The breed is versatile and capable of accomplishing a wide variety of tasks. All around, the American Bully is a well rounded, reliable, trustworthy, and ideal family companion.
They say they have only mixed AmStaff with APBT but I highly doubt that...I wouldnt be surprised if there is Bulldog, AmBull Staffy Bull and Neo (especially due to how prominent the blue colour is) in there that is just kept hidden and secret so their dogs can still be registered as AmStaffs and APBT

Nemos is gorgeous and I'm sure he is a great, well-mannered dog but to me he isnt pure APBT...

Another breed that often gets lumped into the group of "pit bulls" is the English bull terrier (one of my favourite breeds!)

Last edited:

elegy

overdogged
didn't a bunch of RE dogs have their papers pulled awhile ago? there's mastiff in those dogs. no doubt about it. there are, occasionally, nice RE dogs, bred from old RE lines- not what the kennel is currently breeding.

i so don't get the trend of making bigger pit bulls. what i find so appealing about them is all that dog packed into a medium sized body.

As far as RE blood being true APBT, that depends on who you ask. Once you get too far into breeding for size and color, then do you really have the same dog we saw in the 1900s? I think some RE dogs are awesome showdogs. But I also -- and please no offense, but you did ask -- don't think Nemos shows very good breed type. You should be able to recognize an APBT on the other side of a football field, and there should be no doubt in your mind that that's what he is.

Weight pull is really not a reliable barometer for judging quality or purity, because some of the top pullers are Whopper-bred dogs, and he was a known mastiff mix.

Members online

No members online now.