Ok We're Stumped. Guesses?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
This is Guthrie. He's a new dog at FOHA, and we aren't sure of his breed mix. He's probably a mix of multiple things, and we were joking around that he's a purebred HellifIknow :D.

He does bear a slight resemblence to the Bavarian Mountain Hound in coloration, but I highly doubt any of that is in him, since those are not common here at all. Guthrie is about 30lbs, seems to like other dogs, and is a bit hand shy and underconfident, but that will probably change once he gets used to FOHA. And for some reason, his tail was docked to about 5 inches from his butt.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
assuming his tail was docked and not natural I'd consider all traditionally docked breeds. Most idiots selling puppies in the paper to who knows who, will dock if the dog is even 'part Rotty or Dobe or Aussie' I've noticed.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Hmm those are all interesting guesses. I do think that Guthrie is full grown at 30lbs. I thought of chessie when I saw that white patch on his chest in the pics, the chessie we had had a white patch just like that. But Elegy's probably right, Guthrie is probably a Summa Dog :D.

BostonBanker

Some strain of cur or feist (probably too large for feist)/squirrel hunting dog would be my guess. The docked tail/sorta houndy look makes me think it, and your state doesn't hurt either (Meg is from WV). My friend's rescue pulls a lot of dogs from southern shelters, and they can be fairly common. He's a bit small for a Mountain Cur (Meg is 37 lbs, and on the lower end), but I don't know the specifics of all the lines.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
assuming his tail was docked and not natural I'd consider all traditionally docked breeds. Most idiots selling puppies in the paper to who knows who, will dock if the dog is even 'part Rotty or Dobe or Aussie' I've noticed.
Actually, I can't hold that against them. Unless the puppy is a truely off color, at the age the puppies are docked, there's really no way to tell what they are. So, if you have a purebred dog, and you bred her to another purebred and somewhere in there another dog got involved (which seems to happen a lot to BYBs, and I know of at least two cases of it happening to otherwise respectable breeders) you very well may not know that the puppies aren't purebreds. So you dock them.

Having held newborn spaniel, beagle, poodle, border terrier, mixed breed, and BC puppies, the markings (and the poodle's wavy fur) were the only hint of the breed. If the breed and the mix were the same color with roughly the same coat texture, there's really no way to tell.

DanL

I see Mal in there too. The coloring, muzzle, and eyes. Maybe mixed with a smaller hound? Mals aren't real big, many are under 50lbs, so that mixed with something like a beagle could look like this one. Beagle could explain the white patch on the chest and feet.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Wow. Hes gorgeous. What is FOHA? Is he up for adoption? He looks almost like my dog, but with different coloring. Mine is a Jack Russell/ Australian Shepherd mix, and he is about thirty two pounds. Maybe he is something like that, and the Jack Russell was why his tail was docked?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Yep, I think he's a Summa dog :D

Or you can do what my uncle suggested for Sarama . . . come up with some exotic sounding name . . .and say its a rare breed . . . so rare that he is the only existing member of it.

Sarama is a Virginia Water Shepherd, don't you know.

Members online