Mexican Hairless Dog

Leto

I have recently taken in a standard size female Xolo.. she was used as a puppymill dog and abused before she was rescued.

I've had her for 4 or 5 days, and things have been going great. She is getting along with my 5 cats, and my other dog Apollo. He is a bouvier des flandres mix.

I just have a question about her skin care.

She is on Nutros Lamb and Rice forumula that is suppsoed to improve the skin and coat.

I am just not sure how I should be taking care of her skin... I read that they needed to be bathed often.. how often is often? I know my bouv only gets one bath a year.

Also I was told that I should moisterize her skin as well.. what should I use for that? And how often?

Thanks ahead of time!

Ps, here's a pic

Mia

Mia and Apollo

Leto

I was in Petsmart yesterday.. looking at different foods.. now I can't recall the name of the dog food.. I've never heard of it before.. but it was for skin.. and it was a vegetarian diet. Considered it.. will likely switch to it if it's what I should be feeding her.. but I am feeding her what was given to me by the rescue organization right now.

Are there any non-chain pet stores near you that might carry higher-quality food, such as Innova or Canidae? Any high-quality food will improve a dogs skin & coat. Nutro really isn't that good.

If you browse the dog food section here on Chaz, I'm sure you'll find some threads that catch your interest about skin & food.

CamzKees

Just my opinion, but..

I have HEARD that dogs do not do well on vegetarian diets. Dogs, just like people, are omnivores. Obviously, wolves and cats are carnivorous, but I guess when you live with people long enough you'll learn to eat anything. ;)

In my opinion, you should try to feed a quality kibble and supplement it with certain raw foods, like bones, gizzards, chicken necks, and dog safe veggies.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
are u sure shes a mexican hairless and not just a porely bred chinese crested

all the mexican hairless i have seen have had absolutely no hair and have looked more like bald min pins

i could be wrong though

are u sure shes a mexican hairless and not just a porely bred chinese crested

all the mexican hairless i have seen have had absolutely no hair and have looked more like bald min pins

i could be wrong though
Xolo's can have a little hair on the head, besides she's much to big to be a crested :p

Leto

Yeah, she weighs 28 lbs.

Not a Cresteds 12.

As far as I know, Xolos are a 'vegetarian' dog.. I never heard of it until I started researching the breed after I got her.

I will look around.. I've heard of Innova but never seen it. And we tried the candae with our other dog and had a bad expeience with it.. so we won't try that again.

Thanks for your guys suggestions.

Herschel

I have HEARD that dogs do not do well on vegetarian diets. Dogs, just like people, are omnivores. Obviously, wolves and cats are carnivorous, but I guess when you live with people long enough you'll learn to eat anything. ;)

In my opinion, you should try to feed a quality kibble and supplement it with certain raw foods, like bones, gizzards, chicken necks, and dog safe veggies.
Xolos were bred to be vegetarian!

Petsmart carries Nature's Recipe "Healthy Skin" vegetarian formula.
-21% protein isn't terribly bad at all.

Also, other vegetarian dog foods from decent companies:

Evangers: http://www.evangersdogfood.com/dog/20101.html
-They say that it is a complete dinner, but 8% protein is NOT enough.

Natural Balance: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/Vegetarian.html
-This would be my choice if I fed a vegetarian diet. Protein is still kind of low at 18%, but maybe you could supplement with tofu and yogurt.

PetGuard: http://www.petguard.com/main/templates2/frameset-dog.html
-Apparently their meat-based line is pretty good. The ingredients in the vegetarian diet look good. 16% protein.

Leto

Nature's Recipe "Healthy Skin" vegetarian formula.. thats what I was looking at, at Petsmart.

For moisturizer, I''ve heard of people using St Ives successfully, but I''d recommend getting in contact with a breeder or exibitor to find out more on this.

I never knew Xolos were veggie dogs, that''s wierd!

Members online

No members online now.