Need Advice - On the verge of breaking down

showpug

i see, but that will never keep her in, she is extremely intelligent and in her boredom she will try to escape from there and i'm sure she will succeed. She even learnt herself to open the bathroom and bedroom doors :p So now I hv to lock em

showpug

Wings said:
i see, but that will never keep her in, she is extremely intelligent and in her boredom she will try to escape from there and i'm sure she will succeed. She even learnt herself to open the bathroom and bedroom doors :p So now I hv to lock em
You would be better off with an oversized crate then. Good luck :)

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Just a little bit more advice to occupy her attention. When I put the peanut butter in the kong...I freeze it in the freezer overnight for the morning when I leave it with my 10 week old Beagle. He does wonerful, and it will occupy him for a very very long time. Then in the afternoon I put a dog biscuit in each end of the kong "bone", and that occupies him for awhile too.

I am a total supporter of the crate too...deal with the cries now, to keep your sanity and keep your dog.

I feel for you, as it sounds like you're going through quite a bit.

Good luck to you.

Here is my Bailey...

bubbatd

Hope things work out for you ..... it's so sad and it sounds like you've gone the mile.

Doberluv

I'm sorry I said "hard running." Repetative, very long distance running is hard on their bones and joints. But hard running in the way I am thinking, is bounding around, romping, running for short bursts, off and on, varying the gaits, trot, run, walk, stopping for a bit to sniff something....getting a little tired out, but not excessively. If you're out playing with the pup, this can be done. It's the repetative type exercise which is not so good...same pace, same gaits, long distances. A pup needs some exercise. Building a little muscle and blood flow to the ligaments and tendons is all good for supporting the bones. This is my opinion though, but it comes from discussing this with my vet when I got my Doberman. I really wanted to make sure I wasn't over doing anything, but this Dobe needed an energy outlet big time. And along with that some good mental stimulation from training. Just make sure your pup is supervised when not confined in a safe area or crate. With good training and raising your pup will grow out of this. Best wishes.

ok the crate got delivered...its a really huge airline travelling crate meant for a saint bernard (lol i didn't know it turned out to be that big). 1st I introduce her by putting some cookies in the crate, she walked in and i close the gate, then fed her more cookies (of cos praising and such) After 15 mins, I let her out and we went out for a walk, came back, let her dinner and put her back in (no pushing of any kind, she just walked in, a little apprehensive at 1st then just walked right in) Praised her like mad :p

She whined for like 5 mins, ignored by me (i'm sitting in a chair near the crate) She kinda paced around and tries to bite at every corner of the crate , found she can't escape. Now she's sleeping quietly in it. Is that good? Or shall I let her out, she's in in for about 20 mins now, but since she is sleeping I thought I will just let her. Is that ok?

Saje

Island dweller
It sounds like she's doing good but I don't think I would have closed the doors for a couple of days. Or at least until she's going in and out comfortably. And less time in there (unless she's whining) I'd just close the door briefly and open it again. Don't give her time to get upset.

ok sounds good, i let her out now, she kinda checking the crate out from the outside

Last edited:
lol she's walking in and out of the crate, can't decide if she wanna lie down inside. :p I left the door open and hopefully she'll want to sleep in there

Fran27

Wow that sounds really good. Something you can do too is put a blanket on the crate, it makes it more den-like for them.

Jynx

I would also feed her her meals IN the crate,,your wanting to associate the crate with "good" things..others gave great advice..
diane

Members online

No members online now.