I feel mislead - am I in the wrong here?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Ok, so... Ketchup and Mustard get vet care yesterday courtesy of an non-profit that helps homeless animals get medical care. Great! She takes a bunch of pics and posts them on FB asking for donations. Super! I volunteered to make a generous donation as well. Ok, here's where it gets...iffy.

The post says these "poor babies" were "bait dogs" and that their medical treatment will cost over $2000 total. It begs people to donate so they can "save these dogs ASAP."

I doubt they were bait dogs, since "bait dogs" are largely a media construct. Not saying some idiots somewhere aren't doing it, just saying that not every APBT that has scars on its face is a bait dog. Also, no where NEAR $2000... They got exams, fecals, HW tests, wormer, and some antibiotics. That's it. Then there's the fact that the dogs don't need to be "saved" - they've already HAD their medical treatment, and are safe for the time being.

But hey, ok, I know this could be a big money maker for them since the pics of the dogs are so dramatic, and I know they do good work with their money, so I can let it go.

Well, now I have an email saying that I can't give Mustard away unless the family that's taking him fills out an application through a rescue org that works with the foundation that did the vet care. And that the dogs need to be "part of the rescue program" since the vet care foundation "took full responsibility" for them. To be clear, THEY ARE SEPARATE ENTITIES THAT WORK TOGETHER. So it's not like the rescue that wants to place them is the same group that did the vet care.

Ok, well first off: I was never informed that these were the conditions of the dogs receiving treatment. Never, not once. Second off, them being "part of the program" in NO WAY benefits me, as I was told explicitly there were no foster homes for them. So, let me get this straight... I house them on borrowed time, I buy their food, get them bathed, buy them supplements, administer their medications, nurse them back to health, all while desperately trying to buy them time at my place, but YOU get to take their adoption fee and decide who they go with and when they go? I have to wait for you to approve their adoption WHEN I'M THE ONE HOUSING THEM AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE AT MY HOUSE? Mustard was supposed to go home Sunday. Are you kidding me?

Ok, I have a huge problem with this. A HUGE problem. I am trying to calm down before I respond. Will I be in trouble legally if I say no way (or just don’t answer at all)? What if I offer to compensate them for the vet care? I never signed them over to the rescue, or agreed to these conditions in any way. I wasn’t even INFORMED of these conditions, and now apparently I’m obligated to become a foster home for these guys until the rescue can place them???? Seriously?

Am I wrong here? Am I not seeing this clearly?

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
If you didn't sign anything the dogs are in your care and they can not make decisions for you.

I would politely reply explaining the things you pointed out to us. That they did not have you sign over the dogs, that they did not inform you of any conditions involved with givint the dogs vet care, that the dogs were not bait dogs to you knowledge but abandonment cases, that you are footing all their bill, and that you would be happy to compensate them for the vet care. Then tell them that Mustard has a safe home to go to and that you are going to give him that chance and that since there is no signed paperwork that obligates you otherwise that is where he is going...thanks and have a good day :)

*sigh* Some people...

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Agreed. You didn't sign an agreement or even make a verbal agreement. And they really don't sound like people I'd want to be involved with in any way.
:( I think that's the conclusion I'm coming too, which saddens me, you know? I want to like them, to be on good terms, to help them, etc. They were quick to respond when no one else was, so I really want them to be good people. I just... nothing sits right with me.

Now, here's a question for you all. Do I (politely) ask that they stop advertising for donations for these dogs on their page? If they don't... what do I do?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I think I would politely ask then to stop advertising them. And that you would like to carry on, on your own. I would not feel right about them wrongly advertising them to get more money. Thats like cheating people. I would rather my money go towards dogs that actually need 2,000 Skrilla worth of medical bills.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Also, would it be... nasty?? of me to say something slightly pointed like, "I'm willing to look the other way regarding the amount of money people donated for them and the gross exaggerations regarding their case as long as XXX foundation ceases to advertise for them from this point on." Is that too much?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Why make enemies? I'd just pay back the loan, thank them, and walk away.
Oh, I'm really not looking to make enemies, but the one foundation is getting a SH!T TON of attention over the picture of Ketchup that they posted, and tons of people have donated. Like I said, that's fine, but it would make me reeeeeeaaaally uncomfortable if they continued to accept donations for dogs they were not caring for...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I would just say something like "I am also uncomfortable with the portrayal of these dogs as 'bait dogs' and would appreciate if the pictures and call for donations on their behalf were removed due to my payment in full for their vet care costs."

TBH I have seen the way some rescues and their supporters deal with detractors... and it's not pretty. I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to ruffle any feathers here.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I would just say something like "I am also uncomfortable with the portrayal of these dogs as 'bait dogs' and would appreciate if the pictures and call for donations on their behalf were removed due to my payment in full for their vet care costs."

TBH I have seen the way some rescues and their supporters deal with detractors... and it's not pretty. I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to ruffle any feathers here.
I agree. I'm really not trying to **** anybody off or make enemies. I just want things righted.

Dekka

Just try me..
What a nasty situation. I like how Beanie worded it. Sounds logical and non inflammatory. Not to say they might not fly off the handle, but I too would be uncomfortable with a rescue making money of lies.

Doberluv

They don't sound like particularly good people to me. They're dishonest and greedy. I totally would do like Beanie said. And no way can they legally manipulate and attach themselves to YOUR dogs for their personal gain. Nothing signed. No contract.

I'd be pissed that they're misleading and cheating people out of their money for way more than the care cost, especially if YOU wind up reimbursing them!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I'm so sorry this happened Emily. I hate to say it but I'm not surprised. :( I agree with those who said pay back the vet care and cut ties. No sense in ruffling feathers on the matter but I would insist upon the pictures coming down.

NO good deed goes unpunished I guess. I too would cut ties and politely ask they take down the pictures as they aren't raising any money for their care.

Were you able to get in touch with Jeff? I don't really know him, just met him briefly at a seminar a while back and know he is very involved in pit rescue. I wish I knew him or someone better and I could give them a call and get the ball rolling.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I'd ask if that money they're raising for the dogs is coming to you, since you're the one caring for them. LOL. Though that'd probably just **** them off...

Members online

No members online now.