How to toughen up pads?

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
This summer has been so wet, and now Quinn's feet are crazy soft. We live on a farm so she doesn't get walked on a sidewalk or anything - 99% of the time she's on grass or dirt trails. I feel so badly for her - the last three times we've gone herding (sandy footing - so, abrasive at high speeds) she's worn her pads and is gimpy for a few days after. It's almost always the outside of her metacarpal pad that's injured (though sometimes her carpal pad, but she doesn't seem to mind that).

Anything that I can apply to her pads to toughen them up a bit? Usually this isn't a problem but this has been one of the wettest spring/summers to date. I feel awful taking her herding - she's so tough and doesn't start noticing she's hurt until after we're home. I would also consider boots but would prefer to just apply something to her feet if possible. I am getting her little booties that look like balloons (can't remember the brand name right now) while her current injuries heal and for future use, but I don't know how well they'd stay on when she's booking it at times and there's also no traction to them.

Thanks!

crazedACD

Generally I see people recommend Musher's Secret, it's a wax that protects against ice/sand/etc. Never used it myself though :).

Saeleofu

Tuf-Foot! http://www.tuffoot.com/

Musher's Secret protects pads, but doesn't make them any stronger/tougher, and it wears off quickly on abrasive surfaces (it's also messy). Walking on gravel with soft pads could lead to injuries, obviously...

While I like it for pavement, ice, and snow, I actually wouldn't recommend Musher's Secret on sand or gravel. It can actually pick up pieces of sand/gravel and make them stick to the pads which makes things worse.

If you don't have anywhere to walk on sand to toughen the pads up, I would probably just try to bootie. And even if you do, it will take some time. I think some dogs just always have kind of "soft" feet but just like we form calluses they can, too.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Tuf-Foot! http://www.tuffoot.com/

Musher's Secret protects pads, but doesn't make them any stronger/tougher, and it wears off quickly on abrasive surfaces (it's also messy). Walking on gravel with soft pads could lead to injuries, obviously...
This. Exactly this. Having a red pigment pit bull with whimpy pads tuffoot saved us on salty hot desert hikes.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Thank you all so much! Like I said, this isn't usually a problem but it's been really wet here lately. I'd have to drive her somewhere to walk her on any kind of tough ground, which is doable, but if there's a quicker and more successful solution I'd like to try that (or do them together). Tuf Foot sounds great.

I also just realized that the OP made me sound like a terrible owner! I swear I don't run my dog into the ground lol. We went herding Thursday, Friday she was only a little tender and she's totally fine today. She's a tough cookie anyways and I do take care of any little bit of wear or cracking on her pads.

Members online

No members online now.