Election Results

Miakoda

There are ignorant people everywhere, including collage graduates and high school drop outs. There are also brilliant people everywhere, including collage graduates and high school drop outs. The circumstances for everyone is different and if people would just stop being such twats to each other maybe everyone could start working together towards a common goal.

I agree. But it seems there's much more animosity from the north directed to the south. Whether or not there actually is, who knows. But as someone from the south, who has traveled all over much of the country (with the exception of the west coast), that is just the perception I personally have based on experience.

But I'm the first person to gush about how awesomely nice my best friend's friends and the friends' parents were when I spent the summer of '98 in New York (Valley Cottage and Nyack, to be more specific).

You'll find wonderful people everywhere. You'll find asshats everywhere. That's how it is all over the world.

Lyzelle

I agree. But it seems there's much more animosity from the north directed to the south. Whether or not there actually is, who knows. But as someone from the south, who has traveled all over much of the country (with the exception of the west coast), that is just the perception I personally have based on experience.

But I'm the first person to gush about how awesomely nice my best friend's friends and the friends' parents were when I spent the summer of '98 in New York (Valley Cottage and Nyack, to be more specific).

You'll find wonderful people everywhere. You'll find asshats everywhere. That's how it is all over the world.
I'm from the North, moved to the South, and now I'm in the West. Granted, it was Memphis and I visited Texas and Virginia as well, but it was the worst experience of my life. The people were terrible. If you didn't know anyone, you didn't get anywhere. As soon as anyone found out I was a Northerner, I was shunned pretty quickly. Everyone told me I was a tight ass because I spoke properly. God forbid I said anything about religion or liberal views. It was extremely, extremely clique-y good ol' boy system. With plenty of racism and hatred. And everyone said, "Oh, it's like this everywhere you go!"

That hasn't been my experience at all. But everyone has different standards of "polite" and definitely different social standards. I did not fit the Southern "tongue in cheek" "bless your heart" social standard at all. And someone from that culture who goes north is going to be taken aback by our sheer bluntness about everything. We sugarcoat very little, but it weeds through the friends and enemies faster. You don't have to have social connections to get anywhere. And out west? No one cares about anything. Lol.

So far I love the West the most. It's mostly all good people, the worst people are easy to spot and easy to avoid. But the rest of the country, it's definitely a North vs South thing. They are just too different to get along unless you have a very open mind.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
As someone who lives in northwest Indiana I would LOVE to live in southeast Tennessee. The only reasons I wouldn't live in the deep south are the heat, the snakes, the gators, the snakes, the heat--lol.

Oh, and it would be fantastic to be able to find Muscadine wine easily-I developed a taste for it in Tennessee and can't find it ANYWHERE up here.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I was born and raised in the south. How on earth did I ever never make lower than a "B" in school? And that 31 on my ACT? Why...that must be a mistake! And is it actually possible to graduate college, much less with a BS and 2 minors, with a 3.87 GPA? And then get an AA degree after all that? Wow! And to think I never took a single medication for my generalized anxiety and clinical depression until my senior year of college. And I wasn't expelled either! Wowza!

Ok. I'll go back now to shootin' snakes and eatin' chitlins while spittin' my tobaccey and scratchin' my ass.
First, props to you my lady cause that kind of education record is impressive, no matter if your south, north, east, west, upside down, or sideways.

Second, your last sentence made me spit my tea everywhere LOL

Also, I agree with CharlieDog's first post about the southern stereotyping.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
As someone who lives in northwest Indiana I would LOVE to live in southeast Tennessee. The only reasons I wouldn't live in the deep south are the heat, the snakes, the gators, the snakes, the heat--lol.

Oh, and it would be fantastic to be able to find Muscadine wine easily-I developed a taste for it in Tennessee and can't find it ANYWHERE up here.
I am in south GA, about an hour or so from the FL line, and the heat is KILLER. Well no so much the heat but the humidity, holy smokes batman at the humidity!
Snakes don't bother me and well, we don't have many gators around here. That's them crazy FL folks :p

Over the summer, we hit like 108 because of the humidity. I wanted to DIE. My hair... oh my poor hair was 6 ways to Sunday that day. Couldn't curl it for ****, and FORGET straightening it BAHAHA!

You'd be better off in the middle or more northerly part of east Tennessee if that's what you want, although when you get up against the North Carolina border you're enough in the mountains that it doesn't get too hot in the summer -- pretty much anything east of Knoxville.

There are even some local wineries that make muscadine wine, or you can pick them yourself -- they grow wild -- and make your own.

Well, I guess I'll take my high school drop out Northwestern in your face directness and just freeze all the new comers out whilst wearing wool socks and Birkenstocks.

I spent some time in the south and my impression (albeit anecdotal) was that everyone was sugar nice to your face and just talked about your behind your back. *shrug*

Pops2

i haven't drank in almost 20 years, but i do taste (& spit) every wine i cook with. this place has some really nice vintages, you might want to see if your liquor store will get it for you.
http://www.duplinwinery.com/

Pops2

I'm from the North, moved to the South, and now I'm in the West. Granted, it was Memphis and I visited Texas and Virginia as well, but it was the worst experience of my life. The people were terrible. If you didn't know anyone, you didn't get anywhere. As soon as anyone found out I was a Northerner, I was shunned pretty quickly. Everyone told me I was a tight ass because I spoke properly. God forbid I said anything about religion or liberal views. It was extremely, extremely clique-y good ol' boy system. With plenty of racism and hatred. And everyone said, "Oh, it's like this everywhere you go!"

That hasn't been my experience at all. But everyone has different standards of "polite" and definitely different social standards. I did not fit the Southern "tongue in cheek" "bless your heart" social standard at all. And someone from that culture who goes north is going to be taken aback by our sheer bluntness about everything. We sugarcoat very little, but it weeds through the friends and enemies faster. You don't have to have social connections to get anywhere. And out west? No one cares about anything. Lol.

So far I love the West the most. It's mostly all good people, the worst people are easy to spot and easy to avoid. But the rest of the country, it's definitely a North vs South thing. They are just too different to get along unless you have a very open mind.
IME a lot of yanks come down south & then instead of trying to adapt to the local culture they try to push the standards where they came from. examples like my yankee friend's sister going are $#!+ because i let my 6 yo nephew shoot a couple of my guns. or my yankee Marines being SUPER hostile to dogging deer. or being hostile to right to work state's antiunion attitudes.

Romy

Taxiderpy
The west is where it's at. Nobody cares what other people do as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. We just legalized MJ. lol

JessLough

Love My Mutt
yankees generally call grits polenta
I worked for the US government at the Embassy here in Ottawa under an Embassador that came up from a southern state (heck if I could remember where now). I am quite aware of what grits are, under the name grits. ;) Never heard of polenta.

GipsyQueen

How on earth did this thread turn into a south against north battle? :rofl1: :rofl1:
North and South both have clichés that... are sortof true - but all in fun, IMO. Though I did have a slight cultur shock when I came to NC/Virginia for the first time. Most people were pretty nice, though I did notice it was more of a sugary nice. (esp. in VA - but I was in Lynchburg. So in the boonies). Washington DC (not south) though I was positivly surprised at how helpful people were. Seriously. The subway system totally confused me, and I had so many people come up to me and ask if I needed help.
The most prominant sentences I remember from Lynchburg were: "So, what church do you go to?" and "I'm gonna whip your little white a**** if you steal my gas". :rolleyes:

And, grits without sugar? Not edible.

Romy

Taxiderpy
There's a place in town that does southern food, the owner/sous chef is from the deep south and they have the best grits I've ever tasted. It's more like cheese with grits than grits with cheese though.

I love visiting the south. People find out Im from AK from my lack of accent and my bar tab is taken care of. I become Blue, Polar Bear Hunter, Moose Tamer, Wolverine Trainer of the North!

Its not north vs south, its leftist enclaves vs redneck enclaves.

Buttar make grits not suggar.

There's a place in town that does southern food, the owner/sous chef is from the deep south and they have the best grits I've ever tasted. It's more like cheese with grits than grits with cheese though.
Thats how my step moms made grits. :drool:

Lyzelle

IME a lot of yanks come down south & then instead of trying to adapt to the local culture they try to push the standards where they came from. examples like my yankee friend's sister going are $#!+ because i let my 6 yo nephew shoot a couple of my guns. or my yankee Marines being SUPER hostile to dogging deer. or being hostile to right to work state's antiunion attitudes.
I didn't have that problem. Mostly I didn't care how other people lived as long as it wasn't shoving religion down my throat. But it was mostly that, so I made a lot of enemies quickly. Oh, and I couldn't understand what anyone was saying. I got a lot of flack for that, too. As politely as I tried to put it...I couldn't understand a word that came out of anyone's mouth. DH still has to translate for me when we visit his family.

Side note...Yankees and Northerners aren't the same thing. Yankees are East Coast. Northerners are just...from the north.

Grits...I tried. I tried really, really, really hard to like grits in all kinds of ways. But I'm a Cream of Wheat type of girl. :lol-sign:

Members online