Ready For A Tongue-Floppin' Good Time??

bubbatd

I love him to pieces !!! How do you keep his tongue moist ?? Is he able to lap water ?? What a lucky dog !! Is his bad eye his right eye ?

F

FluffyZooCrew

Yeah, he makes the most awesomest faces!!

Grammy, we keep a bowl of water around for him to drink so his tongue stays moist. On trips, we bring a mister bottle and mist it often, plus we bring a bowl and a jug of water for him to have access to drink often as well, if we plan to be gone more than a couple hours.

And he eats and drinks just fine. The injury happened when he was a puppy. He's 11 years old now, and we've had him a year. I think stress of confinement and lack of human interaction took its toll on him at the clinic though, since he lived there in a kennel for 10 years. He was around 62 pounds when we took him in, and now he's up to 90, and gaining. :D

I have a video of him on how he drinks water (and it's humorous, really!), this is it:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
LOl that is one happy looking dog! Love the pic of the two of you too.:)

F

FluffyZooCrew

So he can move his tongue? In the video it looked like he was. Do you ever have to worry about him over heating since he can't open his mouth and pant? Sorry for so many questions.
Don't worry about all the questions! :) Trust me, I am beyond used to it. Try bringing this guy in public, or to public events like I do. I spend hours re-telling story after story about him to people.

And oh yeah, everything in that area works fine. His mouth is just fused shut, so his tongue hangs out because there isn't enough room for him to pull it inside. His tongue works fine, and he'll kiss you to death with it!

He can pant, but not like other dogs.

This is him when he is not panting:

And this is him when he is panting:

He pulls his lips back and pants. But he can overheat easier than most dogs, so Blue's playtime during the heat of summer is early morning and late evening. Or on cloudy days. He's not out in the middle of the day, except when he is swimming, or playing in the water sprinklers, where he will be cool. Other than that, he stays indoors and plays. Luckily our highs are only in the upper 70's right now.

Members online