More Cresties (these ones aren't very mighty yet) + an aquarium (beware many photos!)

Xandra

I got these guys the Friday before last from a hobbyist/breeder advertising on Kijiji. The red one is just a red, the other is a dark and cream partial pinstripe harlequin (I think that's right lol). They're 2-2.5 months old, don't know the sex, so it remains to be seen whether they need to be separated or not. The pics are iPhone pics... forgive me, I'm too lazy to use my real camera and it's out of battery right now anyways.

This is the little sucker who NEARLY GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK running away tonight, but he's safe and sound now.

(love this pic, he was underneath the leaf and I'd don't think he's particularly impressed with the daylight lol)

(I don't actually have cankle of the arm, it just looks that way for some reason)

Xandra

Their digs:

The first pic is messy because it was newly created... but basically, a 10 gallon on its end. The front is just an Exo-Terra (I believe) cage top, the glass part is the end of a cracked 10 gallon cut in half with the dremel. It fits just perfectly behind the rim of the tank, and is held in place by the substrate. The black tubing closes the gap between the glass and the screen so they don't wedge themselves down there.

The substrate is gravel/sand, then peat. Then there are bricks for a backdrop, a place to hold the plants, to provide hidey holes (at the bottom, they are like this || || || and so there are two slots for the geckos to chill in), and to hopefully hold some moisture (I soaked them before adding them and spray them liberally at each misting).

The plants are Scindapsus pictus (a pothos like plant) and one pink and one green Syngonium. FYI, one S. pictus breaks into about 5 plants and they have roots everywhere.

Annddd just because: one of my 10 gallons:

I put it in the bathroom where it serves as a nightlight and something interesting to look at as an alternative to reading. I would've moved the deodorant but I was too excited about the pleco being upside down on the leaf. I admit it isn't very well aquascaped but the fish seem to like it.

Photobombed by a female betta and a zebra danio:

The end!

Last edited:

Saeleofu

Oooo, they're adorable! I REALLY love that red one, but they're both lookers. And I totally envy your planted vivarium. I really love the naturalistic look, but it seems so complicated.

Also, an aquarium in the bathroom is BRILLIANT. I never would have thought of that!

Xandra

Thanks!! I'm interested to see what they look like as they grow. Thing about cresties is while they do vary in "quality" I dont' think I've ever seen an ugly one. So that's all fun. And yes, they are small! But they don't seem fragile (knock on wood) and they're pretty cute like this (even if I do want them to be big NOW). The worst thing is it's hard to tell if they've eaten because they eat so little, plus moisture evaporates from the food so it's hard to eyeball.

CD you should totally get a couple!!

Members online

No members online now.