Votes: 2 4.3%
  • When deer and bears can shoot back...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ted Nugent is out of his%#@&% mind!

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Tacos and Margaritas

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
who needs a doberman, or a pit bull, or a toy poodle or an english bulldog?
who needs a porsche, or a mustang, or a dodge ram 3500, or a suburban?
who needs a house with a bedroom for each child?

i had a long detailed explanation but these questions answer your question far better?
Sorry, Pops, but I really DO need a Porsche. I'm thinking early 70's 911 Targa, or maybe a 928 (5 speed), and I'd love to run the Dragon in a 914.

Doberluv

Obviously you have never experienced the joy of cutting down a tree with an MG 42. :cool:
LOL! My uncle, who lived on a beautiful piece of high bank waterfront property on Bainbridge Is. use to top the evergreen trees that blocked his view with his shot gun. :D

Romy

Taxiderpy
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YES! I knew there was a reason I liked you! :D (besides the obvious, lol)
It was the most expensive tree removal EVER though. :rofl1:

I wish I'd bought my friend's MP 40 back when he sold it for 4 grand. What they're going for now could be a down payment on a house.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh I know. I've gotten to do it. Most fun EVER.

My favorite was setting the bank on fire with tracer rounds from a FN FAL in .308

joce

We have had a couple sks's and ak47s. They are fun. I like to shoot things till my ears bleed(not literally). I don't hunt. I have been thinking about bow hunting but for some reason guns make it seem an unfair advantage to me lol!

We had our local gun smith work on our last one and he liked it so much he wanted it. And it was a cheap sks- but all black and nice looking, all rebuilt. We blew the ice off my friends pond over the winter- I miss it. We are having a new one built(ak) because fin feather fur didn't have one in stock that offered everything Chaz wanted on it.

Don't like guns don't get one . I live in an area I can't depend in the sheriff to get here in time and it's as low crime as you can get!

Romy

Taxiderpy
We have had a couple sks's and ak47s. They are fun. I like to shoot things till my ears bleed(not literally). I don't hunt. I have been thinking about bow hunting but for some reason guns make it seem an unfair advantage to me lol!

We had our local gun smith work on our last one and he liked it so much he wanted it. And it was a cheap sks- but all black and nice looking, all rebuilt. We blew the ice off my friends pond over the winter- I miss it. We are having a new one built(ak) because fin feather fur didn't have one in stock that offered everything Chaz wanted on it.

Don't like guns don't get one . I live in an area I can't depend in the sheriff to get here in time and it's as low crime as you can get!
I was on the fence about bow/firearm hunting. Until someone asked me if I'd rather be executed by a firing squad of riflemen or a firing squad of bowmen.

Uhhh... if I had no choice I'd rather be shot with bullets. :rofl1: Apparently getting shot with an arrow is like being punched incredibly hard with a knife.

If you're worried about being sporting, you can always choose to hunt with a firearm as if you were bow hunting. Get real close in, etc. Or you could do the muzzleloader thing. They're a lot of fun.

AKs are awesome! I'd never get one for anything practical because I hate how they kick up and the aim gets all wonky, but for shooting stumps they're pretty cool. The MP 40s are awesome because they use the kick to reload, so you don't feel anything and they don't move.

ACooper

who needs a doberman, or a pit bull, or a toy poodle or an english bulldog?
who needs a porsche, or a mustang, or a dodge ram 3500, or a suburban?
who needs a house with a bedroom for each child?

i had a long detailed explanation but these questions answer your question far better?
So there is no real "need" just a want.........gotcha :)

Not saying cutting down a tree with an assault rifle doesn't sound fun, LOL, I asked the question because I couldn't think of a legit reason to own those things. I never stated they should be taken away or banned.........just wondering why 'the common man' would NEED something like that.

Doberluv

Not saying cutting down a tree with an assault rifle doesn't sound fun, LOL, I asked the question because I couldn't think of a legit reason to own those things. I never stated they should be taken away or banned.........just wondering why 'the common man' would NEED something like that.
The word, "NEED" should never, ever, ever be spoken with the same breath as the words, "Right to keep and bear arms." That use of the word that is not characteristic of you Coop, as I believe you to be a believer in the second amendment. It's a word you hear gun control, gun fearing liberals throw out a lot in association with gun owning. ;)

joce

Ours was set up to kill coyotes with apparently. That was the reasoning I was told when we got our first one anyway! And here it's a good reason!

Though I think it was a fib to get me to shut up cuz I didn't think we needed it!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I suppose I just see guns as tools. They are there for home and self protection, hunting or livestock/pet protection. Target shooting is important to learn how to use the gun and become more accurate, but I don't see the sense in buying a gun and ammo *just* for target shooting and because you can. There are about 1847573818 things I'd rather spend that same amount of money on. It's like buying a $15,000 Friesian just to go trail riding on once a week, or a top of the line gaming computer just to play solitaire on.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
To me the lesson of this monster has very little to do with gun control and a whole lot to do with the lack of mental health services. I have a feeling there were signs... big signs... his family knew he needed help and there is very little the system will let you do to either find, or force someone if neccissary to get that help.

As far as the right to bear arms and pretty much any gun you wish I am 100% on board with it. The VAST VAST majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens and statistically a car is far more deadly than a gun. Now do I think people should have to have a minimum firearm education level to own a gun... YES but I don't think the education itself should be a politically motivated policy - I think it should be based upon keeping people safe and as a impulse buying deterrent.

Doberluv

I suppose I just see guns as tools. They are there for home and self protection, hunting or livestock/pet protection. Target shooting is important to learn how to use the gun and become more accurate, but I don't see the sense in buying a gun and ammo *just* for target shooting and because you can. There are about 1847573818 things I'd rather spend that same amount of money on. It's like buying a $15,000 Friesian just to go trail riding on once a week, or a top of the line gaming computer just to play solitaire on.

Even if you don't see it as such, there are loads of people who have guns as a hobby...are interested in guns and shooting guns at various types of targets, various distances and different kinds of places and people who compete in target and trap shooting. There are people who build guns from the ground up and refurbish guns, clean them up, display them in beautiful cases. Some people collect rare or antique guns and some buy them as investments and trade them. They can be a very good investment, in fact. There is a vast population who attend gun shows and enjoy seeing what other people have, what is available and they often purchase unusual guns from these shows.

Guns are a tool, to be sure. But that's not the only reason for having guns. It may be your only reason or may be the only rational reason you can come up with. But that is not the consensus across the board.

I enjoy target shooting. Although I positively don't disagree with hunting, I couldn't do it myself. I am not likely to need one to protect myself because of where I live. But it is always a possibility, so it is a nice feeling to have guns at my disposal. I have gone to a few gun shows. My Dad was a hunter and he taught me how to clean and take apart guns, how to safely handle them, and took me to the range every week end when I was a teenager to try different ones out and learn how to shoot. I became quite a crack shot. It's a fun thing to do, as long as it's done safely and knowledgeably...something that I think kids should be taught at home by their parents, by a friend or relative who is experienced and responsible with guns. Not by politicians.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I haven't read every response yet, I got about halfway through and then skipped to the end because I just wanted to chime in! :p

Gun control is not the answer. Like many have said before, banning gun ownership just means that the people who respect them won't be allowed to have them. It's not going to stop anybody from obtaining one illegally. Gun laws only punish the law abiding.

Most people are shocked to learn that I own a rifle. In high school I participated in my JROTC rifle team. I loved the sport, and decided I wanted to continue it on my own time. I don't compete nowadays, but it's definitely something I might do again. In the meantime, it's one of my chosen hobbies that I like to work on and enjoy. :)

I don't disagree with you about guns as tools, but as someone who does own a gun *just* for target shooting... it's just like any other hobby. When you really enjoy something, you are willing to invest some $$$ into it. While I'm not opposed to hunting, it's not really my thing, either. I'm perfectly happy taking my rifle to the outdoor range and shoot targets and nothing else forever. I love it!

I am sure a strong majority of us could say the same about our dogs. Dogs ain't cheap, I think we can all agree. LOL! And yet, how many of our dogs actually do a daily job? For instance, how many here own Border Collies? Now, how many BC owners here also have a flock of sheep that they *need* their dog to herd? We do dog agility, bitework, rally obedience, flyball, etc... but those are all investments for enjoyment, rather than work, right? :D

Not trying to argue, as you are obviously entitled to your opinion. :) I just thought I'd share my perspective, too!

ETA: Dober beat me to it. :p

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Even if you don't see it as such, there are loads of people who have guns as a hobby...are interested in guns and shooting guns at various types of targets, various distances and different kinds of places and people who compete in target and trap shooting. There are people who build guns from the ground up and refurbish guns, clean them up, display them in beautiful cases. Some people collect rare or antique guns and some buy them as investments and trade them. They can be a very good investment, in fact. There is a vast population who attend gun shows and enjoy seeing what other people have, what is available and they often purchase unusual guns from these shows.

Guns are a tool, to be sure. But that's not the only reason for having guns. It may be your only reason or may be the only rational reason you can come up with. But that is not the consensus across the board.

I enjoy target shooting. Although I positively don't disagree with hunting, I couldn't do it myself. I am not likely to need one to protect myself because of where I live. But it is always a possibility, so it is a nice feeling to have guns at my disposal. I have gone to a few gun shows. My Dad was a hunter and he taught me how to clean and take apart guns, how to safely handle them, and took me to the range every week end when I was a teenager to try different ones out and learn how to shoot. I became quite a crack shot. It's a fun thing to do, as long as it's done safely and knowledgeably...something that I think kids should be taught at home by their parents, by a friend or relative who is experienced and responsible with guns. Not by politicians.
I know that some people have guns as a hobby and nothing else and I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying I don't get it. The guns I was raised around where all tools--either for hunting or shooting varmets out in the barn. I just couldn't justify buying a gun and learning to shoot without having some other eventual goal in mind (self defense, critter defense, hunting, etc). DH and I have discussed getting a rifle so that I can learn to shoot accurately, but again I see it more as a useful skill than as something I'd do for the heck of it.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Lots of people do archery just for the sake of archery with no plans to shoot at something alive.

One thing I love about target shooting is the combination of meditative breathing and explosions. lol. It's incredibly relaxing and takes a lot of self discipline which I like.

You could say someone doesn't need a 1929 Mercedes Gazelle to take on a drive once a weekend, since a Honda will do the job. Or that someone doesn't need a borzoi for coursing since they could adopt a greyhound for the same exact sport and hunting wolves with dogs is illegal anyway.

joce

We "waste" tons on ammo. But someone breaks in I'd hit my target.

And I have three 2,500 horses sitting around (all i do is trail ride occasionally)and dogs that cost a ton I don't compete with. It's just what I enjoy. I choose a career I'd have the money to make that money to have those things.

Some people can't understand paying vet bills on a dog or having one inside. I have no problem going to Finn and dropping 200 on ammo once a month. I don't drink or do drugs. It's a hobby.

And yes mental health services suck here. I bet it will come out he was seen before and there hands were tied. We need long term care.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Not just long term care, but long term treatment and solutions. Psychiatric treatments are barely coming out of the stone age compared to what we know about the physical body. It was during a lot of our lifetimes that people were still lobotomized, electrocuted, and had sterilization forced on them. There just hasn't been the research devoted to it the way physical illnesses have.

joce

They actually had it right when they were able to institutionalize people years ago and then Reagan came along. Not everyone is compliant with treatment so they still need it.

And ect is still used and making a comeback! I know it horrifies some but it's not as barbaric as it used to be. Our facility does not do it but one of our docs does at another hospital. My grandma had it years ago and said it was the best thing that ever happened to her and she doesn't think she'd be here without it.

I worry every day about the cuts just in our county. Appointments are months out. It's horrible. And sometimes your hands really are just tied.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I don't disagree with ect if it's used correctly, but it was really abused horrifically for a long time (and may still be in some places).

I don't agree with mandatory institutionalization either. Most people with mental illnesses aren't dangerous, and the current treatments and medications can have some really nasty side effects for some people. I feel that in most cases, those people should have the right to choose whether they'd rather live with the side effects or the illness, because there aren't a lot of good options for them right now.

It's really sad. I wish things were different. I wish there was a way to discern more readily who is and isn't dangerous. I wish there were resources to support all the people who need it. I wish there were more effective treatments and cures for these ailments. Sadly none of that is true right now.

Members online

No members online now.