Agility training

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Sara, I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the picture of Classic jumping in your signature. He looks so graceful.

Looking really good! And I have to say...you're no fair weather trainer LOL
Thanks! We really are having fun with it! And I have no choice up here, we get a few short months of decent outdoor training weather per year. Mind you, next winter I hope to have an indoor training arrangement worked out. ;)

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
She's looking nice!!! How long have you been working with her? Wish I had a tunnel like that - all we have is a small, 5' one :p

She's looking nice!!! How long have you been working with her? Wish I had a tunnel like that - all we have is a small, 5' one :p
Thank you! She's 15 months old now, I started training agility related stuff in November, and we've been working outside over the winter. I've been doing mostly Susan Salo jump grids and have recently started running contact training. Then I began Success With One Jump work, and have just really started the handling basics like in this video.

Now I have to build a teeter, buy some 2x2 weaves, a few more jump, and a chute. My poor parents.....I live in an apartment, so I'm building my collection up at their house. :D

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Tonight we are back at agility class.... and since the time changed it will still be light out there! That means pictures AND videos :D yay lol

Aleron

Thanks! We really are having fun with it! And I have no choice up here, we get a few short months of decent outdoor training weather per year. Mind you, next winter I hope to have an indoor training arrangement worked out. ;)
Indoor winter training would be nice! We do a bit at the two facilities here but every day type practice is in the yard. Which is a muddy mess right now. I came in from working Savvy & Whim today and we were all totally covered with mud!

Finkie_Mom

Thank you! She's 15 months old now, I started training agility related stuff in November, and we've been working outside over the winter. I've been doing mostly Susan Salo jump grids and have recently started running contact training. Then I began Success With One Jump work, and have just really started the handling basics like in this video.

Now I have to build a teeter, buy some 2x2 weaves, a few more jump, and a chute. My poor parents.....I live in an apartment, so I'm building my collection up at their house. :D
Man! I wish Kimma and I were that good after only like 4-5 months! It's taken us about a year to get to where we are - and it's not very far :p

Hahaha yeah, I've started my equipment collection already, too! I'm hoping to get some more stuff built once we move in to our own house again (temporarily living with family). All my stuff right now is in storage, which is a bummer....

Finkie_Mom

Indoor winter training would be nice! We do a bit at the two facilities here but every day type practice is in the yard. Which is a muddy mess right now. I came in from working Savvy & Whim today and we were all totally covered with mud!
Oh it has been a muddy mess outside a lot the past few months here, too! Makes things a little less fun. We also have class sort of outside (covered horse barn) on a dirt floor. So if you get wet outside before coming in to class, the dirt during class just sticks to you. It's gross, but sort of worth it :p

So Pan and I have started our agility foundations class. I was really terrified because we train on our own, and the last time we took an obedience class she ended up biting me (hard!) out of frustration and would not engage with me at all. She doesn't like strangers and can be very reactive to both people and dogs around out apartment building.

But I knew that I had to start working her in new places and around distractions if I want to start trialing by the end of summer. So I signed us up for a foundations class so that I could proof known behaviours and she surprised me by being a very good girl!

Here's some vid of us tonight acting as the demo team for some exercises....easy behaviours, but I am beyond happy with her engagement and focus. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsKlbM0KLfE

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I really like the vid! I don't know nothin' but she looked good to me.

Will someone please explain circle work to me? LOL McDevitt talks about it all the time in CU and I feel totally out of the loop.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I'm now in the process of teaching Kiba to default to stand on the table unless told to otherwise. She's pretty solid at doing a down or sit when told to, so this will be fun.

I really like the vid! I don't know nothin' but she looked good to me.

Will someone please explain circle work to me? LOL McDevitt talks about it all the time in CU and I feel totally out of the loop.
Thanks!

I stole an explanation of circle work from someone's blog....

"Greg teaches that he is looking for the dog to run at our side, neither forging, lagging or bouncing, nor pushing your line, nor shaping the size of your circle for you. The dog is never crossing in front (flanking a.k.a. "father flicking"), crossing behind (blind crossing), spinning away, or turning away from you (flicking). The dog is able to stay in position at your side, with acceleration and deceleration. The handler being particularly careful in deceleration that the dog does not swing wide & away from you as it slows (flanking), or moves ahead of you landing facing you, (major flanking), but instead remains at your side keeping the body aligned forward in the same direction as you are running. Run good, large circles with the dog on outside and dog on inside, in both directions and changing paces."

So it's basically rewarding the dog for being in the "reinforcement zone" aka heel position on either side of you. This work helps with handling in courses later on down the line. :)

Snark

Mutts to you
Got my sister to come out and tape some stuff with her phone last weekend... Starting serpentines with Riley and focusing more on tug as a reward than food. Also working on his speed/enthusiasm in the weaves without popping out.

http://youtu.be/W-xJFnJZ_UM

Aleron

Panzer looks like she's doing great in foundation class!

Riley is coming along too! The only thing I would change is to throw the toy to reward forward motion, so he isn't looking to you for the reward on things like the serpentine.

Snark

Mutts to you
Panzer looks like she's doing great in foundation class!

Riley is coming along too! The only thing I would change is to throw the toy to reward forward motion, so he isn't looking to you for the reward on things like the serpentine.
Thanks. I prefer throwing the toy but my trainer wanted more interaction with Riley (tugging/playing) since he's not always focused on me at class. Maybe I'll toss the toy if he beats me to the last jump and keep it if I get there first (using a lead out).

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Ignoring her bolt in the first part, this was a tough sequence to do. We (more like I) messed up on the very last jump.. if I would have given just ONE more step she would have got it, but I pulled away. Anyways, why was it tough? My agility instructor told us after we completed it that it was the course for the England Agility National Championship. Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5cfUXoH59s&list=UUpsN1OW5c4-OQVzSQEXSiYQ&index=1&feature=plcp

(personally I think she was just doing that to show us what we and our dogs are capable of... meaning she wants us to compete because Novice would be so easy for them. I'm still not sure if we're (I'm) ready though).

Members online

No members online now.