Cost of Cats

JessLough

Love My Mutt
But you essentially said it IS about value. You said that cats shouldn't cost that much, because they can't do as much as dogs. You even said in your reply, "cats are of less value than a dog". Mind you, a cat is likely going to live longer than a dog, has just as much health testing as a dog, and has the risk of needing a c-section, just like a dog. Why should it be ok for a dog breeder to recuperate some of the costs of breeding dogs, and not a cat breeder? Selling a kitten for $100 isn't going to really touch the cost of breeding the litter.

Even ferret friends in the states have never found a ferret for that much. Or I guess, they *could*, but by that logic I could find a dog for $60 too. It will be a milled dog, yes, but it will be a (very badly) milled ferret, as well. Oh, and a ferret IS an exotic ;)

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I've only ever been able to find ferrets that cheap, both in the US and Canada, on sites like kijiji and craigslist from people who can no longer care for them. I had them growing up, we didn't know any better and bought from pet stores, and they were very expensive even from a crappy pet store. $175 I believe for each kit.

Tahla9999

Just on this note.. Cats do have quite a few health problems/health testing for example...

Well, you've got the "basics" - blood panel, viral screening, diseases that can be passed down such as FIV and FeLV.
http://www.cathealth.com/diagnostictests…
http://www.cathealth.com/FeLV.htm
http://www.cathealth.com/FIV.htm

Once you get past the basic tests to ensure they're in good health, you need to take a look at the possible health conditions within that breed. For example, the Maine Coon, Persians, and Ragdolls susceptible to HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy)
http://www.cathealth.com/FlHCM.htm
And then there's two eye problems known to affect the Burmese..

- Breeding quality kitten $1500-2000 each (same goes for dogs/cats) more so for cats of proven/champion parents .

- and just like with dogs, no good breeder of healthy cats is going to give you a kitten with breeding rights without knowing you first. So you've gotta be at shows, be around in the breed, etc... which is even more $$

- Stud fee (AI, shipping semen, buying another male cat, etc..) $$$

- General health/vet program for cats.

- The Queen must be vaccinated right before she is bred or in some cases during the pregnancy. Most high quality breeding cats are tested for FIV & Feline Leukemia prior to every breeding.

- All breeding cats must be tested for Hip Dysplasia

-The HCM screening is done annually, at around $300 per year. on ALL cats.

- Cat rearing supplies/kitten supplies.

- DNA tests for specific genetic diseases

- Vaccinating each kitten in the litter

- Feeding the kittens

- General care for all the cats (food, litter, etc..)

and that doesn't even include showing and titles..

and as for "use".. chihuahuas, maltese, toy breeds etc..etc.. are all dog breeds that are only bred for companion and show. Frankly, these days, I'd say about 40% of quality dog breeders are only breeding for companion/show (not that they don't preserve instinct.. but still, their dogs aren't working sheep or hunting for example).
doesn't make the dogs any less expensive to Ch., health test, show or breed..

Even without show or anything else, health testing is EXPENSIVE. and finding the RIGHT breeding quality (even just health/temperament wise) sire/dam is expensive, regardless of breed.

and even in the US a well bred ferret ( health testing, temperament etc...) does run about $300+ at a good breeder

just some random examples.

http://www.scarletts-happydookers.com/kits2012.html
http://www.gfxferret.com/
Almost all companion animals have health issues that need to be tested for, so it is very important for all breeders of any animal to health test. Never denied that. I can see paying 300 for a well bred ferret as I can see paying 400-500 range for a well bred pet cat. Maybe 100 dollar more if it is a breeder I truely like. I would pay upward of 800 or more when it comes to dogs. I would never go to a dog breeder who price their dogs at 300 or less unless there was a very good reasoning for it. See the difference in the ferret and the dog? Toy breeds are still dogs and are still very useful. I've seen chihuahuas do agilty all the way to weight pull.

Animals are typically price for what they can do. Animals who main purpose was for companionship are typically cheaper( rats, ferrets, snakes, rabbits), which is why I wondered why cats were so darn expensive. I plan to go more into the cat world and make a decision whether or not I'd go for a rescue or breeder route.

Of course, exotic animals would be more expensive than any other pet so the Svannah doesn't count!:p Though interesting enough foxes are no where near that cost. Many are 700 and up.

Edited to add: very exotic animals are expensive.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've only ever been able to find ferrets that cheap, both in the US and Canada, on sites like kijiji and craigslist from people who can no longer care for them. I had them growing up, we didn't know any better and bought from pet stores, and they were very expensive even from a crappy pet store. $175 I believe for each kit.
They are $130 at petco and $140 at petsmart around here..

Equinox

I think cats are great and will always have at least one or two in my life (as I do now), but while I'll pay $2500 for a dog, I wouldn't pay more than a $50 rehoming fee for a cat.

It's not about what animal is "worth" more or what an animal "should" cost. I'd happily fork out thousands of dollars for vet bills if it meant treating my cat, but initial cost? Won't do it and can't justify it. It's personal preference - I am okay with paying $1000 for a nice camera, but wouldn't pay $500 for an tablet.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Ferrets are very useful. Renegade knows agility. And he does his own miniature version of weight pull. Yah, try to tell me my ferrets are not as good as a dog, or useful, I'll fight 'til death over that one ;) Cause, ya know, a dog that can weight pull and do agility is so useful in every day life. What would you do without a dog being able to weight pull? LIVES WOULD BE CHANGED FOREVER.

Also, you're wrong. Ferrets main purpose was not for companionship. Ferrets were bred for hunting rabbits and other small game. It was not until ferret mills like Marshall's got their hands on ferrets were ferrets started to be bred for companionship. If you're going to spread information, at least try and spread correct information.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Savannah cats take the cake when it comes to cost, but then again, they are crossed with African Servals.

http://www.a1savannahs.com/f1.htm If you scroll to the bottom you can see different kittens, and a general price range.

I like looking at the ones hand delivered to the King of Morocco. 0_0

I mean, it makes sense why they cost so much, because they are hybrids (not sure if that is right word), but still. If I had that kind of money...

EDIT: Oops, Savannahs already got mentioned.

I want a Norwegian Forest cat, and when I'm older, I may be willing to spend $600+. It's not a breed you can find in rescues, and they are just cool. I mean come on, they are Norwegian!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Savannah cats take the cake when it comes to cost, but then again, they are crossed with African Servals.

http://www.a1savannahs.com/f1.htm If you scroll to the bottom you can see different kittens, and a general price range.

I like looking at the ones hand delivered to the King of Morocco. 0_0

I mean, it makes sense why they cost so much, because they are hybrids (not sure if that is right word), but still. If I had that kind of money...
I would get one of these foxes! http://sibfox.com/

Tahla9999

Ferrets are very useful. Renegade knows agility. And he does his own miniature version of weight pull. Yah, try to tell me my ferrets are not as good as a dog, or useful, I'll fight 'til death over that one Cause, ya know, a dog that can weight pull and do agility is so useful in every day life. What would you do without a dog being able to weight pull? LIVES WOULD BE CHANGED FOREVER.

Also, you're wrong. Ferrets main purpose was not for companionship. Ferrets were bred for hunting rabbits and other small game. It was not until ferret mills like Marshall's got their hands on ferrets were ferrets started to be bred for companionship. If you're going to spread information, at least try and spread correct information.
Cats can be useful. Rats can be useful.I'm not saying they can't be. Nor am I saying ferrets arn't as good as a dog. You need to take your heart out of the conversation since that isn't what this is about. Kai is priceless to me, but if I had to put a figure, it would at least be in the millions. Take the heart out, due to his timid nature and wrong body structure, he would be no where near the price of a well-bred bulldog.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I want a Norwegian Forest cat, and when I'm older, I may be willing to spend $600+. It's not a breed you can find in rescues, and they are just cool. I mean come on, they are Norwegian!
OT but we have a retired Norwegian Forest cat breeder that brings her cats into my store. OMG, LOVE THEM! Someday, I will have one. Someday.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
There are reasons for the cost. Grab has already explained many of them. Fran's post also says a lot.

You also have to remember that cats have very complicated and delicate systems that we are only now beginning to understand just how different they are.

There are cat breeds in which you have to be just as careful with your breedings as you do with some dog breeds.

Cats have often been treated as the second class citizens of pets for some reason...

I worked at a clinic that specialized in cats only and learned there that there is so much more that goes on with their very specialized little systems than most people realize :)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
See the difference in the ferret and the dog? Toy breeds are still dogs and are still very useful.
The difference between the ferret at the dog. That toy breeds are still dogs, and are still very useful. That would mean the difference is that ferrets are not dogs, and are not useful. ;) It's not that I have heart in it, it's the wording that you are using.

If I said "oranges have a peel you do not eat, so you have to peel them first. See the difference between an orange and an apple? An apple you don't have to peel to eat, so it is better." It is just changing your example from dogs and ferrets to apples and oranges. In the end, it is saying the same thing, but this case is about fruit.

I'm sure there are cat people would be willing to pay $1000 for a cat, but not willing to pay more than $100 for a dog. So does this mean that dogs should cost less and not be as health tested, since cat people aren't willing to pay that much for them?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Cats have often been treated as the second class citizens of pets for some reason...
Ain't that the truth! We have so many customers who come into our store for dog food, then head to WalMart for their Cat Chow. Ugh. We hear "it's just a cat" so often, it's sickening.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Ain't that the truth! We have so many customers who come into our store for dog food, then head to WalMart for their Cat Chow. Ugh. We hear "it's just a cat" so often, it's sickening.
That is very sad. Diet in cats is so important. *sigh*

My kitty eats just as well as my dogs :)

Picklepaige

I could never get a cat from a breeder, because I, honestly, just don't see the difference in personality between a purebred and a rescue off the streets.

My whole family, close and extended, has cats, all rescues, and they have all lived to be in their 20's, with zero health problems, and extremely friendly and outgoing. Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?

It's a cultural thing, too. My shelter charges $45 for cats, and people balk at the mere idea of paying more than $5.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I could never get a cat from a breeder, because I, honestly, just don't see the difference in personality between a purebred and a rescue off the streets.

My whole family, close and extended, has cats, all rescues, and they have all lived to be in their 20's, with zero health problems, and extremely friendly and outgoing. Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?

It's a cultural thing, too. My shelter charges $45 for cats, and people balk at the mere idea of paying more than $5.
It's not that just purebred cats have these issues, but not every cat is going to have issues. Also, if they cats come from generations of strays, their bodies almost adapt to that.

It's the same as every dog isn't going to have issues just because they aren't health tested. Rosey is 15 years old, and a mutt found on the streets. She has never been to the vet for anything other than an annual physical, and she's still healthy at 15. Same with my aunt's dog, Blackie, although she's 12 or so.

Grab

Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?
Nope, we have numerous 'plain ol regular' cats that come in to the clinic who have arthritis, kidney issues or liver issues (in young cats), diabetes, etc. Cats are fabulous at hiding things until they are serious issues, so many things aren't picked up on right away.

There's also a tendency to write things off in cats...how many cats routinely vomit after eating, with it being written off as a 'cat thing'. Sometimes it's diet related, or 'just because', but it can also be an issue. Yet many owners would certainly rush their dog in for diagnostics for vomiting their meals several times a week. Same with inappropriate urination...I can't count how many clients let it go on for ages, thinking their cat is being spiteful, when they've had a uti for months.

Members online

No members online now.