Destiny

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
Destiny is the only goat I have without horns. she is a long story. my friends mom gave her to me b/c she was sick. When I got her she had been in a Coma for a month. the only life she had was the slight twitch of her eye. My friends mom just couldnt say goodbye. And she knew If I had to make the choice I could do it.

this was her. anyone who knows goats knows this is not good

after research I diagnosed her with Polioencephalomalacia.. I later had my vet confirm it. Its not fairly common. in fact my friends vet diagnosed her with Rabies. so as you can guess you have to have seen it to know it.
anyways He said it was to late to do anything.

I began gaving her large doses of Vit B complex and a wide variety of other vitamins. and I would spend hours sitting by her and just reading books. (we had to tube her food and water)

well slowly I mean slowly. she began to show more signs of life. We got her up into a sling to help her regain circulation and we massaged her legs

Her neck was really kinked.

then one day she stood with a lil support(my mom and cousin)

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
then she began small steps until finally she could wak on her own. mostly in circles though.

she was very shaky and the slightest bump would set her sprawling.

Zoey became her best friend

(her kink)

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
Today she is practically normal..just recently her neck has straightned the only thing wrong is that her jaw is crooked.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Thats awesome.

Correct me if Im wrong naturesgift. But sisco after laying that long as a young growing goat her muscles formed this way in order for them to straigten out you have to give it time and see if the muscles straighten sometimes they dont and you can surgically correct it.

sisco16

koda bear
Ic, thanks for that I had no idea i have always found goats fascinating though we have a petting zoo in our park during the summer months and i have gotten to know some of the goats pretty well, they can be the little comedians i must say and they really like to chew on your clothes lol.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
thats wierd and a miracle did she have something stuck in her throat or was it like that for a long time.
no this is a side affect of the Polioencephalomalacia. (Goat polio caused by eating moldy hay or pellots. or buy eating a certain type of fern.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
Thats awesome.

Correct me if Im wrong naturesgift. But sisco after laying that long as a young growing goat her muscles formed this way in order for them to straigten out you have to give it time and see if the muscles straighten sometimes they dont and you can surgically correct it.
yes if a goat or any animal lays for a while in any position there bodys can cramp up and "stay" that way. there was a cow at my milking barn that was down for a week and b/c my boss didnt rotate her she constantly tucked her head up to her ribs. and when he did try to flip her. her neck was a lil kinked to . just not to Destinys extreme. Her shoulders were crooked/her neck and her Jaw.

When she first started to show signs of life only half of her body did. one eye. one ear. we could only get her to eat on one side. half her legs. It was like she had a stroke.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
yeah goats have quite the personality. you cant keep them in a pen when they want out. Destiny always tries to eat my zippers. or edges of my skirts. . though they will eat almost anything you shouldnt let them.

Dark child Pygmy goats have the biggest personality of all goats. My friend has a PYgmy Whether. He is a hoot. follows us around like a puppy.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
yea the barn i worked at had pygmys we had a few nubians and other goats but all were auction goats that no one wanted.

Our Goat Emah is an "unwanted" goat. she only has one working teat. b4 we got her she had never raised her own babies. they were all pulled after birth. :mad:

Emah is a nubian/Alpine

Peace is a saanan (she was given to us with Emah)

Destiny is a Saanan/Nubian/Boar though since she is here to stay she will not be eaten neither will any of her offspring. We are given most of our animals. Either b/c they are sick or b/c they just dont have time nay more. or thay are old or just plain not worth it any more. the only Goat we "bought" is our Buck Reese.

Precious my sheep was abottle baby I was given. i bougt Casanova the Ram though.

PPL seem to think we are the place to leave your animals. ecpecially if they are sick. I want to be a vet so they instantly think ooo free vet care..when in essence Im paying for the vet bills. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.