My Dog Just Ate a Plastic Sack!!!!!!!

uhmanda00

I just went outside and fed the dogs, and I was going to give them a hot dog that was leftover... so I opened the pen, and my un-obedient or my Dad's "huntin' dog" jumped up, grabbed the sack, and ran away from the other dogs. Then the other dogs chased after her, and she swallowed the hot dog and the sack... in one bite. The sack is one of those little sandwich bags... really thin, and doesn't have any "zip lock" stuff on it. This dog has eaten an ENTIRE QUAIL several times... and she's been okay. I'm kinda worried about her. She continued to run around and jump and play after she ate it. How long should I keep a good eye on her??? About how long does it take for something to "pass" in a dog??? Oh, she's a Llewellin Setter by the way... if size matters. She's the black and white one in the signature pic. :)

Thanks in advance.

Keep an eye on her for a couple of days. Most likely it will pass. Lord knows Mike passed numerous plastic bags and dirty tissues in his day . . .

Though they CAN block, the biggest worry with plastic bags is suffocation, which you would have seen imediately. Keep your eyes open for vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy for a good three days. Most stuff will pass in that time. Also dig through each and every poop until you see it come out. If it seems like it's been a while and it hasn't passed (even if she's acting fine) I'd DEFINITELY seek a veterinary opinion if you haven't already.

How is your relationship with your vet? I would call tomorrow and drop him/her the question and see what they say. But when I worked for an emergency facility that was our general shpiel for dogs who swallow baggies, or other small and maleable objects.

bubbatd

My dogs swallowed so many things over the years and I just waited and all passed . I'd call the vet , for your own peace of mind , and be watchful . If he was a smaller breed , I would be concerned . Let us know !!

uhmanda00

the thing is... it is IMPOSSIBLE to dig through her poop. my mom thinks dogs are "dirty", so all FOUR of my dogs are outside dogs. they all share the same dog pen--which is HUGE, about an acre. so i'd be going through like 50 piles of poop looking for it.

Ive seen a pit bull pass a knee high sock and Im pretty sure it was one of Smkie's dogs passed a whole tennis ball.

Ive seen a pit bull pass a knee high sock and Im pretty sure it was one of Smkie's dogs passed a whole tennis ball.
Yeah in my daycare yard I have seen socks, undies, bras, dice, crayons, and barbie heads pass without an issue. A plastic bag is child's play. LOL!

bubbatd

Dig away honey !!! 4 to 6 poops a day are worth a vet visit ! Won't be hard to spot !

ACooper

USUALLY things like that will pass through with out an issue. Since you know it happened, you know if the dog starts acting sick to get to a VET asap.

Orson has swallowed one of my hair scrunchies, I didn't even know he did until I saw it coming out the other end.............that is a WEIRD sight to actually watch a bright orange scrunchie making a grand exit! Lord only knows what else he may have swallowed with out my knowledge.

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
Manni ate a plastic bag full of Cheetos and "passed" it 2 days later. He didn't have any ill effects at all. He's quite a big dog, though.

dogs_rox

if your dog swallows a plastic bag or any other hazardous object, it is advisable to call teh vet immmediately. however, if u didn't do so and the dog didn't behave unusually, choke, vomit etc in the first ten min or so, then just hope that he passes it. if he starts complaining of stomach ache (whining, loss of appetite etc.) you should take him to the vet

Members online

No members online now.