Heat at the withers?

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I'm an old lady and prone to worrying about my doggies. Well, I just notice on one of my dogs a very very warm spot between his shoulder blades. (Not a small spot, my entire hand was hot touching him there. This was Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I checked again and it seemed normal temperature. Then Wednesday night I noticed it was hot again. :confused:

Why the heck would one region of his body be hot, and especially that spot?

I'm thinking of taking him to the vet, but I feel kind of stupid. I always thought he ran on the warm side. When he was about 1 year old I took him to the vet because I was sure he had a huge fever, but the vet said he was fine. Well, this is the same vet that said I should vaccinate a dog with a fever, and that was the last time I went to that clinic.

I think I'll take his temp tonight, but I hate to do that because it's the uncomfortable method. :(

Saeleofu

It can be warm from inflammation - an injury of some sort. Or it could be warm because he was laying against something warm, or laying in a way that kept that area warm. The other day Logan's back was pretty warm...and then I realized he just got up from laying on the heater vent.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I just called the vet to see what his temperature was when he had his annual exam last month, and it was 102.9. She said that was normal. So, I guess I shouldn't worry. He does a lot of running and jumping, and is a bit out of shape for his age. I still might check his temp tonight. Sorry, puppy!

Members online

No members online now.