Dont want to support show breeders

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Kerry's are crazy dogs...I've met quite a few and they're all just...weird.

I can't say that I would recommend one of those terriers for the lifestyle she has.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Also, she doesnt need a working line dog. She lives a pretty mellow life, and I dont see her doing agility, etc with her dog. So a drivey dog would not be right for her.
IMHO, if some one doesn't need a working bred dog of ANY breed, they don't need that breed period. The work that a breed is intended for shapes their appearance, personality, energy, everything! Of course there are puppies that aren't quite working material that pop up, and that could be an option for some one who wants a low drive dog. However, she should be prepared for the "working model" of the breed that she likes... why the heck else would she even like that breed? (Unless she is basing her interest in the breed purely on appearance, in which case, she should be all over show breeders.) If she cannot handle a working bred Kerry Blue, what does she like about that breed and why does she want it?

Haha, yeah well, that's just my humble opinion about people who aren't interested in working bred dogs. ;)

It really sounds like your friend should look into breed rescues who do very thorough temperament evaluations and who foster the dogs in knowledgable homes. Adopting an adult dog is a FAR safer route than buying a puppy, if she wants a specific temperament and energy level in a dog... there are so many homeless dogs out there, one is bound to meet her requirements, and "raising a puppy to meet her needs" is often vastly easier said than done. Either that, or take her to a dog show/a working event and let her actually speak with the breeders instead of listening to the trendy/ignorant junk being spread about "purebred dogs"!

IMHO, if some one doesn't need a working bred dog of ANY breed, they don't need that breed period. The work that a breed is intended for shapes their appearance, personality, energy, everything! Of course there are puppies that aren't quite working material that pop up, and that could be an option for some one who wants a low drive dog. However, she should be prepared for the "working model" of the breed that she likes... why the heck else would she even like that breed? (Unless she is basing her interest in the breed purely on appearance, in which case, she should be all over show breeders.) If she cannot handle a working bred Kerry Blue, what does she like about that breed and why does she want it?
I agree!! It is that mentality that has screwed up so many working breeds. People choose breeds based on looks alone and then try to alter the breed's temperament to suit their lifestyle. There are many "pet" dogs in working litters, so there is really no need to create sub breeds.

Members online

No members online now.