Do you love what you do?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I clean floors right now.

I decided to go back to school for a degree in automotive technology, and if the work environment is anything like our class environment (and I think it'll be close, though obviously with less supervision) I'll definitely enjoy and have fun doing it. Cars have always been a hobby of mine, and understanding how they work on an even more fundamental level than I do already is awesome. Some of it I don't like lol, and I doubt I'd ever seek out working solely as an automotive electrician (though I REALLY did like doing electrical work, in practice on cars, it's not as fun as it is set up in the lab environment we had) but we're learning transmissions this semester and already I feel like my head is going to explode. We have eight weeks to get a working knowledge of both automatic transmissions and transaxles and manual transmissions and transaxles. And that includes learning about differentials. I've read the first three chapters in my automatic transmission books and it feels like my head is going to explode already.

I know once I see one taken apart, I'll get it much faster than I would otherwise, but on paper it's baffling me.

Like last semester taking electricity, it wasn't until I SAW the different types of injection systems aside from the one on my own vehicle (which just had a fuel rail, as it was a 4.0 inline 6 on a Jeep, that any of it made sense. Direct injection, mulitport injection, ect, was weird until I saw it. But once I did it was exciting and I could go "OHH. I GET IT!!"

I like that in a job. I did twelve years in the dog industry, everything from cleaning private kennels, being a private instructors helper, demoing dogs, helping train police dogs, pet dogs, rehabilitating aggressive dogs, helping household dogs get along, reactivity, day cares, both large and small, and if I wanted to, I could get back into the field extremely easily, but I just can't do it. There's only so much money in the business unless you're willing to be a CPDT and build a client base, and I just can't handle dealing with people, which is the absolute largest part OF dogs is dealing with their people.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Do I Iove it? No. Do I tolerate it? Absolutely.
But I do love getting a generous amount of vacation, sick, and personal time, including paid holidays. I love knowing that I don't have to work nights or weekends. I love knowing that I'll get paid on the same day every pay period, and that I'll get the same amount.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
My job is alright... I am not over the moon with it...but it is mellow and steady.

The best thing about my job is that it is not something that ever bleeds over into my home life...it is pretty stress free for the most part.

It is not exciting being a QA lab rat...but it is tolerable and it helps pay the bills :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have to say I'd probably enjoy my job more if the hours weren't so wonky. It has its perks... work long hours = working fewer days. But then on the days I do work, I really don't have time for ANYthing else. Like today I worked 8a-7p. Got home around 7:30. Inhaled some dinner. Forced myself to take Cajun to the park but then it was starting to get dark and I'm TIRED so we weren't there long. Got home from that and totally could have passed out for the night.

But it's very rare that I ever have the motivation to go to the store or hang out with a friend or do anything after work. And that kinda sucks. Like even if I just got off at 5p or something like that I think I'd feel like I still have time to do things.

Oh, and if all our clients could be awesome, that would make my job awesome! One cranky client is all it takes to ruin a day.

I generally am okay with my job, I swear...

Oh yeah, I love it. I thought I wouldn't be happy not working in dog related stuff, but I'm much happier without work stressing me out. I miss my last job, but my current job rules. I am paid to be a control freak, talk about and drink craft beer, and this weekend I'll be dressed up as an X-men while doing those things. All of my coworkers are darling and weird. I almost turned this joint down in favor of working in a vet clinic/boarding center and man I am glad I didn't.

I love my job but I wish it paid more. I work 40 hour weeks and still can't afford rent on my own, so I'm bumming with my parents. Hopefully once I start teaching more and taking on more private clients that higher wage will help me out.

I think it can be very challenging to find something that you're passionate about and fulfilled by, that also pays the bills and leaves enough change leftover for you to have fun.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I should give my job more credit. I get full 40 hours every week and never have to work overtime at all. I get free gym memberships and 50% off lunches at work. I have good pay and have gotten bonuses and raises every year. I get all holidays off, plus vacation and also every other Friday off completely and Fridays where I work, I work less. So I get about 13 days off a month. I get a company matched 401K which is nice too. Health insurance, etc. My boss is very lenient and my coworkers are overall nice and fun people. I really like the company and they do a lot for local communities and employees when they hit hard times.

I do wish it was a bit more exciting. I do a lot of grunt work and database managing and maintenance and some of that is tedious work. But it does need to be done. It's not always very fulfilling the work we do...

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Got woken up at 7:30 by aa customer calling, so NO!!!!

Oh, and my last 3 paychecks were less than $300.
Lol I have already been up for two hours and cleaned almost all of my stalls by then : p.

And that brings me to the one downside of this business, the hours. Up at 4:30 am, with a break from 11 am - 3pm. The kind of sucks part is race day, where if you are in the last three races you won't be going to bed til 1 am than its back up at 4:30 am the next day lol.

But even then I really don't mind it, I enjoy it!

SpringerLover

My hours are wonky, because where I work is open different hours. The trade off is that we're not open weekends.

Monday and Wednesday I work 11-8, Thursday 12-8, and Friday is a'normal' day 8:30-5:30. I have to say, I'm really getting used to not going into work until 11am...

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Where I'm working now? It depends on the day... I know I'll get a paycheck at the end of the month and 99% of the time it's around the same amount. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Plus the work is not hard and I enjoy doing (most) of my jobs.

However, I know my boss wants me to quit and wants to hire a "new" volunteer to take my place. For the past few months she has been giving her what used to be MY jobs, which sometimes left me with nothing to do and thus me leaving early and not getting hours... which means not making money. She's already told me that when I want to leave to go because she's already going to put new volunteer in my place. Ooooookay then! The funny thing is, 99% of the people cannot stand new volunteer and don't want her to take my place.

That being said - I'm going to love what I'm going to school for! I'm almost done with my internship and I'm going to miss it so much. Maybe not some of the people (lol), but definitely what I've been doing there. I've learned so much in the short time I've been there.

I've just got to take my state board (& pass haha!) and hope there is some job openings!

kady05

I work at a canine rehab center as a receptionist, but I also help with the dogs often. I really enjoy it. It's so cool to watch dogs come in who aren't doing well and then 4-6wks. later, they're back to being dogs again. The neurological cases are especially neat. The pay isn't terrible, and I work 7:30-1:30 4 days a week, so it's a nice schedule. I get discounts there, as well as at other local vet clinics, which have majorly come in handy since Piper has now had 2 TTA's! Negative is that it's like 40min. from my house, so that's dumb.

I also work for my family business once a week, just doing secretary type stuff. I don't like anything that I do there, but both of my brothers and my dad are there so it's nice to see family.. plus there's nothing strict about it and we all joke around the whole time.

What I'd love is that if I could make my pet photography business my full time job. Right now I'm in a bit of a slump with it for whatever reason, but I do hope that some day I can make a living off of that because it's truly what I love to do.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I guess the only thing about my job that I would say could be considered a negative is the hours kind of suck, 7 days a week, getting up at 5 am etc ... but I love working with animals and working in the "real" world isn't an option so ... lol.

My hours are wonky, because where I work is open different hours. The trade off is that we're not open weekends.

Monday and Wednesday I work 11-8, Thursday 12-8, and Friday is a'normal' day 8:30-5:30. I have to say, I'm really getting used to not going into work until 11am...
I need to find a clinic with those sorts of hours!

Taqroy

Server admin here and nope, not even a little bit. But that's largely because my lead refuses to give me anything to do and refuses to train me on anything (the implication is that I'm too stupid to operate the software). So I do the things that are asked of me and try to fill up my days with other stuff (like job hunting hah) so I don't lose my mind from boredom.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nope. I spent my last shift looking for a new job :p

It's not horrible, but not something that I'm interested in. Come June, we'll have big changes and I... don't know what I think about them yet.

I'm sure I could easily get hired for the same job somewhere else, but that destroys the purpose of a new job :lol-sign:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I am old enough now that I can let (most of) the petty, "I work with all women" backstabbing, gossiping crap go
Working with all men is no less dramatic and backstabby IME. Just depends on the individuals and group dynamic more than gender...

FG167

Working with all men is no less dramatic and backstabby IME. Just depends on the individuals and group dynamic more than gender...
Last job I worked with 30-40 men. I was the only woman. They're dramatic but it's much more...different. I don't know, I handled it a lot better than I'm handling this group now. They're all just such downers maybe?

I am job searching actively now. I am freaking out.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Last job I worked with 30-40 men. I was the only woman. They're dramatic but it's much more...different. I don't know, I handled it a lot better than I'm handling this group now. They're all just such downers maybe?

I am job searching actively now. I am freaking out.
Yeah my last job was with 41 men. And they would bring up stuff from thirty years ago, talk about each other behind backs, had their little cliques, etc. I wasn't part of that structure but just watching it was fascinating and also educational, haha. The vibe might be different but the same tendencies for drama and nastiness are there.

Members online