Should i put up for stud?

Mirg8101992

Smiles and wiggles
Hey, i was just wondering how many people think that my pup, Aj would be a good father? He is extremely well-behaved and is already showing his talent in hunting and agility. In the area where i live, there are LOTS of hunters, so i was thinking some of them might want a little of Aj-pups. The only problem is it makes me feel horrible becuase of all the dogs in pounds. Hunters, at least the ones i know, like pure pups to train by themselves. So either way i dont think they would take a pound dog. But, i dont know, i just need opinions. And, please, no harsh remarks?:( Im confused about what i should do...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I would first establish your dog's prowess as a hunter and have a concrete interest shown by those same hunters you think may want a pup by him. Then before agreeing to stud him to anything at all, get his hips, eyes and elbows certified so he doesn't pass any genetic problems on, which would inhibit a pup's ability to properly hunt. How old is he? He needs to be at the very least 2 years old.

But until you have people breaking down your door to have AJ stand stud, I would just keep him a swingin' bachelor.

bubbatd

Agree Zoom !!! It's hard to find a Dam for your stud .... They are sought by the breeder of the female .

Mirg8101992

Smiles and wiggles
Ok, thanx!! Once he reaches 2 years, i will have the vet check him and then when he is 3 or 4 years i will see if anyone would want a litter out of him. Thanx a lot! :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Good for you for doing the research. Yes, health testing is extremely important and I would not breed him if he was not 100% sound.

Just continue to take AJ to hunting and agility trials. A lot of people will pounce on a promising looking dog and ask about his availability as a stud. I've had quite a few people ask me about my Border Collie when we weren't even competing. Keep in mind that not all of these people are responsible about breeding; it pays to be choosy as the stud owner, about what bitches you will allow AJ to breed to.

Mirg8101992

Smiles and wiggles
Ok, thanx! :) Ya, i found out that just taking him places will pick up female dog owners. A few years ago i took Aj's mother to a parade because her owner (my best friend) was in the parade and another female ESS owner came up with his dog and thought that Andi (Aj's mother) was a male so he was asking about if "he" was up for stud. Lol. Im not gonna just choose anyone like that though.

moe

What I would advice along with the very good information supplied by others is, if someone does eventually approach you for your dogs service, after you have the certification of all his health checks that is, make sure that you get the pedigree of the prospective bitch before deciding, check out what is behind her as well as your boy so that you are not doubling up on any dogs that have bad traits that may be passed on, also ensure that the bitch has also got all her certifications of health.

mo

Members online

No members online now.