Calculating Nutrition % With Raw?

F

FluffyZooCrew

How do you calculate nutrition percentages in raw foods and meats, and calculate into the percentage that a dog needs?

I want to feed raw heart. But I need to know how much sodium it has in it. I looked it up and found the following:

1 ounce of raw chicken heart =

13.4mg's of sodium, which is 1% of the daily value for humans.

Now... how do I find out what that percentage is for a dog?

Does this make sense? LOL

F

FluffyZooCrew

I did google, and it came up with a load of diff. answers.

I did find one site that said for a dog in later stage heart failure, they should have less than 50 mg/100 kcals. ( Canine Health Problems under "diet")

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I don't know, but if this is your first time giving heart, be aware that you will most likely have runny poo the next day.

F

FluffyZooCrew

It's not, almost all my guys have had heart before (Jake will run you down for it). But oh yeah, they did get the mushy's when they got it their first time, LOL.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
It's not, almost all my guys have had heart before (Jake will run you down for it). But oh yeah, they did get the mushy's when they got it their first time, LOL.
Okay, good! I didn't know if you had fed raw before. I know my guys had the runs big time the next day. :eek:

F

FluffyZooCrew

Athebeau

My Dobe mix Beau has a heart murmur and I give him lots of raw beef heart in his raw food diets. I don't give him too many chicken hearts. I had Sabine from the dog food project make up a diet specific for Beau's health needs so I didn't have to do the calculating myself :) Beau also gets coenzyme Q10, vitamin E and other supplements. Raw heart has so many good things like natural coenzyme Q10, taurine etc. Beau also gets foods such as banana's, potato, cantaloupe, chicken which are high in potassium which balances sodium levels. I do the same with my own diet I eat only celtic sea salt which contains less sodium than table salt, but I always up my potassium when I eat too much sodium. Just to add do not give potassium supplements, it's best to obtain from natural foods.

Because I'd like to know how much sodium my dog is getting? Uhhh... no? I'm not marketing anything, not sure where that came from.
Sorry, lol, didn't mean to come off THAT way... It was IF your dogs DIDN'T need to be on a low sodium diet that I was wondering about. All those pet foods have their nutrutional analysis on them...

Sweet potato is supposed to be good for dogs with lowered sodium intake levels, it's probably the potassium, as mentioned above, but I can tell you that my dog likes it.

There's a government website that shows the nutritional breakdown of all foods, I can't find it in my links, and tried googling for it, but can't come up with the right search terms. AuntieCrazy, I think you know which one I mean...

I did find THIS link though, and if you haven't seen it before, it's a good one, I think you could search the whole book for anything, just can't cut and paste...nutrient requirements of dogs and cats

Members online