Distemper or Kennel Cough?

L

LB2007

I am getting concerned now, he is on his third day of meds for kennel cough, but his sneezing is getting worse and his discharge is very bad, he noses runs like a river. I read that this is one sign of Distemper, can be have Distemper and still have a healthy appetite? his eyes are watering also and his nose, it is running something awful. When he was at the vet the vet gave stuff for kennel cough which are herbals. No antibiotics he said as it is viral. But what if it is Distemper? he can die not so if he is being treated for somethign else? He has no diarrhoea or vomiting or lack of appetite. Only problem he has now is the runny nose that is very very wet with discharge and it is constant.

When he was at the vet the vet gave stuff for kennel cough which are herbals. No antibiotics he said as it is viral. .

Get the dog to a real vet. I am sorry, but why would he think something "herbal" would work where antibiotics can't?
While it may not be distemper, it could be a gram negative bacteria which can be a very serious and set up into severe pnemonia. This is the puppy that had the low body temp right? I would be really concerned that something major is going on.

Tazwell

I've had countless foster dogs come into my home from the shelter with Kennel Cough. It's not very serious, but it does have potential to turn into something serious. If what you're using isn't helping, and the illness is in fact getting worse, please go see a different vet who can give you antibiotics or give you another exam. Bordetella itself is a bacteria, but I think there's viruses that may be associated, if I'm not mistaken. So Antibiotics do help.

I doubt it's Distemper, that's not nearly as common. But it is way more serious. The symptoms sound like Kennel Cough, but you are right in thinking that they both have similar symptoms. If your dog did indeed have a low body temperature, that should be a warning sign to you, if you didn't already talk to a vet about that.

Has your dog been vaccinated against Bordetella and Distemper? Where would he have gotten Kennel Cough from, is he new?

L

LB2007

I've had countless foster dogs come into my home from the shelter with Kennel Cough. It's not very serious, but it does have potential to turn into something serious. If what you're using isn't helping, and the illness is in fact getting worse, please go see a different vet who can give you antibiotics or give you another exam. Bordetella itself is a bacteria, but I think there's viruses that may be associated, if I'm not mistaken. So Antibiotics do help.

I doubt it's Distemper, that's not nearly as common. But it is way more serious. The symptoms sound like Kennel Cough, but you are right in thinking that they both have similar symptoms. If your dog did indeed have a low body temperature, that should be a warning sign to you, if you didn't already talk to a vet about that.

Has your dog been vaccinated against Bordetella and Distemper? Where would he have gotten Kennel Cough from, is he new?

He is 20 weeks old I got him from Switzerland from a reputable breeder at 11 weeks, he has had all his shots and boosters. He was around a nasty dog on the street last week Thursday who was dreadfully sick and sneezing, hacking, I SHOULD have walked away but the owner wanted him to play with her dogs, I will know better next time I see her. I didnt know they were sick dogs except the sneezing and hacking, I didnt know the symptoms of these diseases beforehand, MY FAULT. It was no sooner than hours later he was coughing and sneezing up a storm. He is doing better today, still the runny nose but no coughing anymore. He is eating properly and has energy. The discharge from his nose is light clear watery liquid like rain drops, damned it is all over me when he sneezes:eek:

The medicine is not herbal in the sense of herbal over the counter. It is specially and clinically and pharmacutically made from plants for dogs for this problem of viral KC. It is a prescription medication only for dogs. Not because it is herbally inclined it means it will not work:rolleyes: . It is working, however the runny nose is still there. I JUST NOW SPOKE to the vet, he will be taken back tomorrow, as the Vet said, give it 5 days and if no improvement in the sniffles we have to do something else. He tried the viral meds and it stopped the coughing, but not the runny nose. He will have tests done tomorrow and probably get antibiotics if it is bacterial. Antibiotics are overused in the USA and that is a known factor. Antibiotics should only be given when there is a presence of Bacteria in both animals and humans.:p

Bordetella is both viral and bacterial, there are various strains of Bordetella including the viral and baterial. You cannot give antibiotics for viruses, viruses are treated differently. Here is some information note the bold part, That is why the vet gave viral meds first, you cant just give antibiotics without trying the viral part. Vet said he does not have Distemper, he had a proper exam done and the vet knows my dog. He is a very good vet. The trachea meds which are also from plants have worked with the gutteral sound in his trachea

http://www.orangevillavet.com/articles/05-10-kennelcough.htm

Treatment:

Antibiotics: There is no one way to treat kennel cough. While antibiotics have no effect on viral infections, it is impossible to determine whether bacteria or viruses cause a case of kennel cough because the symptoms are too similar. Also, mixed infections or complications of a viral kennel cough by bacteria are common.

For uncomplicated cases of kennel cough, antibiotics are recommended to prevent problems such as pneumonia, although they might get better without them and antibiotics will not shorten the course of a viral infection. Antibiotics are necessary in any case of pneumonia, or acting "sick" beyond coughing. Ideally antibiotics should be chosen based on culture results, but because obtaining a culture requires anesthesia, generally an antibiotic is chosen based on being broad spectrum and the age of the dog. The antibiotics used most are: Clavamox Doxycyline, Enrofloxacin, and Trimethoprin-sulfonamide. Because of the risk of forming an antibiotic resistance, all antibiotics need to be given for the full course, usually 10-14 days depending on the antibiotic. Cases of pneumonia may require antibiotics for a month or more.

L

LB2007

Get the dog to a real vet. I am sorry, but why would he think something "herbal" would work where antibiotics can't?
While it may not be distemper, it could be a gram negative bacteria which can be a very serious and set up into severe pnemonia. This is the puppy that had the low body temp right? I would be really concerned that something major is going on.

He is a real vet. I was told to bring him back after 5 days if the sneezing is still there, they will run a culture for bacteria, the vet has a lab so It wil be done instantly like ten minutes. If it is bacterial then he will give antibiotics, if it is not bacterial he will give him something else for the sniffles. They may also run a blood test to see if he resisted his vaccinations at 13 weeks or if he built up a resistance to them.

He was a big problem eater when I got him and still is to some point but he lost a lot of days where he refused to eat and this was my concern, that his immune will be weakened. Now I have to watch for Parvo because there is dog schit all over the place here.

Tazwell

Well, it sounds like you have it covered, then. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon :)

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I think FrenchKissed gave you some excellent advice. It' up to you whether you want to take it or not. You have mentioned that you are concerned, and I would be too.

If this were my dog on day three feeling like it does, I might make another vet visit.

Saintgirl

It sounds like your dog has a simple case of KC. If your pup is eating normally and acting fine, AND you have already been diagnosed with KC, I personally wouldn't be too worried, especially because the mucus is clear (a good sign). It's normal to be worried over a new puppy, but KC is a very common problem in dogs, almost like the common cold to humans. I would be concerned if your pup became lethargic, loss of apetite, running a fever, etc. I do not medicate for KC, only once when my Saint first came to us with KC and had developed a secondary infection did we provide antibiotics.

Personally, I think a vet that isn't a drug pusher is a good thing. Too many vets these days push medications just like human MD's. Of course if you are worried then there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, but I see no evidence here why your vet would not be a 'REAL' vet.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Canine influenza is often mistaken for KC. Charlie had it as a puppy and it very quickly turned into pneumonia and I almost lost him. The symptoms you describe sound similar. I would be getting back to the vet if you are not seeing improvement.

L

LB2007

I am taking him back in a little while. He has stopped sneezing at least this morning, but I am still taking him back because I want another blood and stool test done. I had one done about ten days ago, but I want more becuase his immune is obviously not strong. He is HUGE problem eater and he does not get his daily nutrients unless I syringe him. So back to the vet and I know he will not be happy but OH well mommy speaks he has to follow:lol-sign: :lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.