Low Cal Kong filler

I cant find this in another topic.

What do people put in their kongs to plug it? Peanut butter has way too many calories , I can plug with it, but its not good for a treat on its own. But, its good as something frozen to keep the dog busy, a plug wont work that well, since he can chew that out.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You could get the natural kind of peanut butter, or if you have a food processor, use it. Just grind up peanuts until it makes a paste and use that.

I know some who use chicken broth to make a plug.

And it really doesn't take much to plug up a Kong. One spoonfull should work just fine.

sam

low fat yogurt frozen works- if they don't love yogurt you can flavor the yogurt by blending in some peanut butter.
I have used canned dog food (frozen) cheese whiz lite,yogurt, liver wurst a weiner.
there are recipes on the kong website you can check out too

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
We've put their kibble, a concoction of bananas, yogurt and apples (frozen) natural peanut butter.. lots of stuff! Be creative! :D

You can also take any kind of low cal dog cookie that your dog likes, crush it up and add water and then pop into the microwave for about 30 seconds.

The added water makes the cookie go a long way and the microwaving helps to soften the mix. Make a mush out of it and add some other low fat goodies, slam it in your kong, put it in a ziplock bag and pop it in the freezer.

I always use crushed dog cookies/water mash as a base and then I add things like dehydrated salmon bits, grated carrot or apple, low fat cream cheese or other creamy substance or mashed fruit like banana (a tiny bit goes a long way - I only ever add 1/4 tsp to enough cookie mash for a large kong).

Freezing this mash in the kong makes it all last so much longer.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
=) Here's more low calorie healthy items that I freeze in kongs... besides those already mentioned:

plain cooked chicken
raw pieces of chicken, beef, turkey, etc.
pureed veggies
mushed bananas (with a little bit of peanut butter mixed in)
green beans
cottage cheese

In my experience, calories do make an impact, but the BIGGEST & BEST way for a dog to lose weight is simply activity. Especially in breeds that have been bred to work a lot. Frequent walks, trips to the park, play sessions with other dogs, and just moving around more, is sure to get a dog to lose weight. My BC used to be about 5 lbs overweight, not noticeably but enough to annoy me, for a couple years! I tried low calorie foods, feeding way less, no cookies, all of that... with no results. And, even though he played fetch & frizbee for over an hour every day, after getting another dog and him being active more often through out the day, he is in perfect shape and actually lost 10 lbs (so he's now very much on the lean side, but as healthy as he could be). And I am not skimpy with his food at all anymore!

How bout canned dog food. Some canned food like Natural Balance and Eagle Pack you can put in the Kong as is. Other cans you need to freeze first before you give it to the dog. That's what I do. Canned dog foods are far healthier and have far less calories than peanut butter or cheese. I turn Joey's canned food filled marrow bone into his lunch. It is after all food in there, so I take into account the amount of canned food he had in his marrow bone when I feed him dinner.

I use canned dog food blended in the food processor with a couple of cups of thawed, frozen vegetables (green beans work well). This ups the bulk and makes can last longer, but lowers the calories per serving. I fill the entire Kong and freeze.

I'm not worried about weight really, he is young, and hopefully building muscle! His favorite kong treats could double his calorie intake for the day if I'm not careful though.

I've switch to putting a portion of his food in an A-maze (?) ball, so he has to work a while to get it out. A buster cube, or something with a smaller hole is next.

Members online