Trick of the Week: Spin!

Zinga's head flip is just hysterical. I love that she threw that one day and just kept at it. So useful.

She's so fun to watch work, such a funny girl! I love her.

I might have to share a small portion of my attempt to shape it from a head turn. It was a joke and shamed me greatly. But I will say I kinda like it from a pivot! It works more hind end awareness and it's turning into almost a pure classic spin with Traveler just kinda leading with his butt :D

kaykay21

herder brain & drool face
So I had previously shaped Zinga's right spin from a head toss. However, I never put it on cue and never worked it since then. So our first session was like shaping it all over again, but on fast forward. Very cool to watch if you are planning on free shaping your spin. I add the cue in at the end of the first video. I work it a bit more off camera, just adding the cue in, the second video is putting other cues with the spin cue to help her differentiate her verbals.

Shaping the spin:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XPm7OFWLg-Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XPm7OFWLg-Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Testing the cue:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_3CvF_K4nk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_3CvF_K4nk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
so im sending maddie to you for training right? lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/54xgbqiq_B0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our first try at spin! I need to film myself training more often, it makes me realize how many missed opportunities I had where I could have clicked/treated :doh: So while Foxy will continue to work on spin I will work on upping my rate of reinforcement. And I'll use my actual camera to film training sessions instead of my phone balanced in a candle so hopefully Foxy will remain in frame for the majority of the video :rolleyes:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So I think I'm going to steal whoever said Megan should teach the cue as herself spinning, and do that! Because it'll be awesome, and I need practice at changing cues, because EVERYTHING has a hand cue and NOTHING has a verbal (well, almost nothing) in this house!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Wow, those all look really cool! I'm really impressed with the amount of patience everyone has training! lol

Art knows spin (not ready for Talon to learn these yet), but I never taught him to spin in the opposite direction. So I guess we will try that :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So I was thinking, because some of us don't always get the whole trick completed in one week, I think every 4 or 6 weeks we should do little "progress reports" or something, where we video all of the tricks we've worked on since the beginning to show how far they have come since that week was over. Maybe?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think I'm going to try shaping this one... I tried shaping it with Auggie ages ago and it went horribly, and shaping with Auggie these days tends to be Auggie just standing in front of me barking (sigh.) We shall see what the puppies make of this one.

So I was thinking, because some of us don't always get the whole trick completed in one week, I think every 4 or 6 weeks we should do little "progress reports" or something, where we video all of the tricks we've worked on since the beginning to show how far they have come since that week was over. Maybe?
That's a really great idea!

Catsi

Love it! Foxy is just adorable. She is so, so happy! :D I agree about filming - because I'm so in the moment, I have difficulty with timing, placement and all that important stuff. Seeing myself at least makes me a bit more aware.

I love the idea of a spin from a pivot! Traveler is looking great.

Juno has picked that up so fast!

Mia had me in stitches. lmao

Zinga is looking awesome. That video was really helpful because that's how I started to train it. Just not with such quick progress because I've only ever shaped with objects. I was also placing my reinforcement in the general direction of where I wanted the spin. This may take a while, I've got a couple of vids already, but I figure I'll wait a couple more days and maybe edit it into one to see the progression.

I'd love to have an update thread because I'm keen to continue working on past tricks as well.

SaraB

Good idea! Maybe instead of a trick that week we could just do a refresher/updater on the existing tricks. I would go for once a month, so that would be every 4th trick. Otherwise, I feel like that if we keep doing one trick a week it will become overwhelming really fast, or we'll have a bunch of half trained tricks.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Good idea! Maybe instead of a trick that week we could just do a refresher/updater on the existing tricks. I would go for once a month, so that would be every 4th trick. Otherwise, I feel like that if we keep doing one trick a week it will become overwhelming really fast, or we'll have a bunch of half trained tricks.
That's what I am worried about with us, lol, I need to be held accountable!!

Okay, I did a second session with Boone this morning, AND I figured out how to just take snippets from each of the sessions. So, here's where we are so far:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2jcrXvuvuYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Certainly not the fastest spin in the world, but he's getting it!

We're having a craaaaaazy Saturday evening over here. :p Gotta start smallifying the hand signal, now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2VdG3EMgkgQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brattina88

That's what I am worried about with us, lol, I need to be held accountable!!
Me too, my girls both know spin already so I'm still working on week 1 ;) But I would like to tweak spin some... faster, tighter spins.. stuff like that :)

crazedACD

We're having a craaaaaazy Saturday evening over here. :p Gotta start smallifying the hand signal, now.
Awesome! Looking good! The hand signal is pretty easy to fade, it just takes a little time.

I wonder if someone would have an idea of how to train a spin like this, but for dogs...
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyNpp5MVSTA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyNpp5MVSTA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Maybe with a platform...**** platforms...

I love Pip spinning himself into a sit and Maisy's tail going a mile a minute with a boing in her spin. And honestly, Squash could do nothing and I would still love him. He's just so....Squash.

Members online

No members online now.