Behavior Problem?

My husband and I adopted a 4-5 month-old lab/australian shepherd mix from a shelter about a week ago. We try to exercise her as much as possible as she can get very hyper.

Today she started barking uncontrollably at my husband and I when we were eating a snack on the couch. She had already gone potty and we were playing with her and giving her attention. Then my husband said "NO!" in a loud voice and she jumped on him and then he pushed her away (even though he knows this is a bad thing to do - I have told him not to push her as it is another form of attention). She then went crazy and started running around our living room as fast as she could. She has barked at us before but never ran around like crazy like that. Wondering if anything is wrong with her?

Saje

Island dweller
It sounds to me like she wanted to play. How much and what kind of exercise does she get? What did you do after she did that? I doubt there's anything wrong with her. Puppies do things like that.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
If she's anything at all like my aussie, consider yourself scolded. "Dad, you're not SHARING!" :rolleyes: the running thing is just a puppy thing,that she MAY eventually grow out of. They usually do it when they are excited, for no particulary good reason, except MAYBE not enough exercise (and aussies can NEVER get enough exercise, they'll go forever) Sunny only does it anymore if he's not gotten enough exercise or he's chasing Daisy. He's 11 months now, and didn't stop until a month or so ago. Try teaching her leave it. Atleast then she'll leave the food and you alone, she'll just sit there and stare at you until you feel your heart breaking and give it to her anyway :rolleyes: :D lol.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
She sounds like a normal lab/Aussie to me. :D Both very hyper puppies and the Aussie in her is going to hate being left out of ANYTHING. It took me a month or so before mine was "ok" with my boyfriend and I cuddling on the couch without having a dog jumping in the middle of us.

Saje said:
It sounds to me like she wanted to play. How much and what kind of exercise does she get? What did you do after she did that? I doubt there's anything wrong with her. Puppies do things like that.
We take her for lots of walks, throw the ball with her (although she is still learning to bring it back) and try to keep her as busy as possible. Aussies always have to have something to do. She's very smart so when she is bored she will start to do things she know we don't like, like jumping or chewing on our persian rug. But I read online that some Aussies have the 'alpha' issue and I worry that she may have that. Does it start showing early? When a dog has an 'alpha' issue, I read that you're not supposed to give into everything it demands. So last night when she had already had playtime and potty and walk, we settled down to eat a snack and watch TV. She wanted attention but we ignored her and that's when she barked like crazy.

Thanks for the advice :)

Doberluv

I read that you're not supposed to give into everything it demands.
That goes for any dog. How much time are you spending training her? It sounds like she needs some obedience practice and that not only teaches her those skills and behaviors, but it strengthens your position as her leader and reiterates to her that she does not rule the roost. It does sound like play, from what you describe, but nevertheless, she needs to have some rules and structure. And obedience training, using positive methods.....motivation/reward, is how that is achieved. Also, you can practice some NILIF....I wouldn't carry it to the extreme but doing some of the things will teach her manners which she obviously needs and teach her where she fits into the family. Remember though, she is a puppy and some of these silly antics are to be expected. Just so long as you can teach her and temper that down. It won't be long before she's an adult and so it's time for an education. She is, after all, a working breed and needs a job and lots of exercise. Puppy classes with a reputable, positive method trainer would be wonderful for her.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nothingfree.htm

W

Whitedobelover

i agree with doberluv. on this it is apuppy and you have do training with this dog or it could potentially get really out of control however you never give into their demands they are the betas while you are the alpha... dont let her think for a minutes she is alpha get a water mister and spray her when you think she is getting unruly it works. :D

Doberluv

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a water bottle. Some dogs would become fearful of that and mistrust you. You want to develop a relationship of complete trust. So, I think what works best is to distract away from unwanted behavior and give the dog an alternative behavior which will be rewarding to her. That way, she'll strive to engage in behaviors which bring her the yummy treats and your praise and attention and will find that engaging in unwanted behaviors brings her nothing. Try preventing unwanted behaviors or distracting away from.... Try putting the emphasis on what she does do, which you like and reward lavishly for those things. Really show her what you mean and let her know what she is doing that you like. Anytime you happen to notice behavior that you like, even if you didn't just tell her to do something, let her know that you like that. If she's lying there chewing on her toy, tell her how wonderful she is. LOL.

W

Whitedobelover

i would have to agree but like my heathens if they are like those two are always trying to con the others into doing soemthing crazy we have use a water gun... theydont distrust us they know that when they see it they stop. they dont distrust us as a matter of fact they listen more. they are so distracted by each other and their ears it is difficult to get them to listen here is pic for you guys to see what goes in my house 24-7....

GOD my house needed cleaning that or at least the kitchen... crap. everything that gets on the floor goes on the counters hehehe darn dogs.lol always pulling crap down... messing up my house

I ignore her and walk away if she bites or jumps but to me it seems like that's what she wants. She'll stay where she is and seems to enjoy that she got me to leave.

Doberluv

She'll stay where she is and seems to enjoy that she got me to leave.
She probably was a little bewildered at the sudden social isolation and that's why she just stood there staring. LOL.

That's OK....what she really wants is your company and attention. Dogs just do. So by removing yourself and ignoring her, you're removing the payoff. When she plays nicely, reward her with praise and a treat. She'll learn that playing gently gets her the good stuff.

You can also get her a good chew toy for teething pain. They sell something in pet stores which you put in the freezer. I don't like rawhide. It's dangerous. But something cold and indestructable would be good. Show her what she can chew and bite on by replacing that for your hands and then praise. Keep on ignoring absolutely the unwanted behavior. Keep it up. It won't change overnight. Good luck.

W

Whitedobelover

hehe my dogs jump up and when i have the water gun i just pull it out of the pocket doesnt even need water in it and they stop and sit down... so i am lucky my dobes hate the water gun like it is going to attack them at all times. they dont even really know it is me doing it... they think that it is just the gun lol

I think we are already seeing a change in her. She catches on quick! I'm so glad I found this forum. Thanks for all your help! :)

Members online

No members online now.