nOT ALL PET STORES ARE BAD!

bubbatd

If you only knew what good breeders go through to socialize their pups. When I see a pup or 2 in a cage at 8 weeks old ( or younger ) I can only think how they should be in their " playground "... romping, playing, being handled by humans , and scolded by their Moms.

Doberluv

I see where you are coming from but i find it very hard to say no to loving dogs because they are part of a bad system. It isnt their fault they were poorly bred.
Of course it isn't their fault. And of course it is hard to say no to these poor puppies. Anyone who has a speck of empathy would have a sad heart to see these pups and to say no.

I want to say, this is something we have created, and dogs are going to die and suffer if we just say no to them. I know it will stop the problem in the long run but I find it very hard just to accept that because we have made a mistake these puppies may die.

Yes, these puppies may die. But if people keep supporting pet stores, who in turn are supporting back yard breeders and puppy mills, (if you do the math) vastly more puppies will die than those in pet stores and it will go on and on and on. Look at the multitudes of lonely dogs and cats in shelters everywhere. By buying from a pet store, even if they're nice people and take good care of their pups, they are enabling byb's and puppy mills to keep on doing what they're doing. The multipication is astounding.

suzy_99

I have to agree that pet stores are not places to buy animals, even though I have been known to not be able to resist a cute face in those little cages. We only have one pet store here that I will patronize. It is locally owned and does not sell cats or dogs. They do not buy their little animals from a breeder or from people, but rather they will "accept" people surrendering their animals to them, since our local shelters will cannot accept small animals. They then get them vet checked before they are sold. I have bought guinea pigs from this place and I don't feel guilty doing so.

I do, however, have a story about when I was doing a co-op placement in high school at a local chain pet store. One morning I came to the store and next to the front door was a box and when I looked inside I seen the cutest little black puppy. Someone had decided to drop her off in the middle of the night and taped up the box really tight with duck tape so she couldn't escape. Well the pet store did bring her to the vet, which impressed me, but then they wanted to sell her instead of bringing her to a shelter. I was not going to stand for this, so I offered to pay them the same price that I would pay at a shelter for her and not a cent more (they were going to begin by asking $500 for her). Well after a little arguing and the loss of my job, I walked out of there with my puppy and she has grown into a beautiful smart dog.

poeluvr

yea there is a pet stor ei n oshawa...has about 25 different dogs, its filthy disgusting, but everytime i go in there it is crowded!

poeluvr

suzy_99 said:
I have to agree that pet stores are not places to buy animals, even though I have been known to not be able to resist a cute face in those little cages. We only have one pet store here that I will patronize. It is locally owned and does not sell cats or dogs. They do not buy their little animals from a breeder or from people, but rather they will "accept" people surrendering their animals to them, since our local shelters will cannot accept small animals. They then get them vet checked before they are sold. I have bought guinea pigs from this place and I don't feel guilty doing so.

I do, however, have a story about when I was doing a co-op placement in high school at a local chain pet store. One morning I came to the store and next to the front door was a box and when I looked inside I seen the cutest little black puppy. Someone had decided to drop her off in the middle of the night and taped up the box really tight with duck tape so she couldn't escape. Well the pet store did bring her to the vet, which impressed me, but then they wanted to sell her instead of bringing her to a shelter. I was not going to stand for this, so I offered to pay them the same price that I would pay at a shelter for her and not a cent more (they were going to begin by asking $500 for her). Well after a little arguing and the loss of my job, I walked out of there with my puppy and she has grown into a beautiful smart dog.
oo can i see a pic of her plz!!

bubbatd

Good for you, Susie !!! And , hey , help and buy any dog you want ( anybody ) Just remember, you buy what you get, and give shots, etc etc etc for whatever you've decided to be YOUR dog for it's life . We only want to help .

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
No doubt those dogs deserve love too. But WHY would you want to support something so horrendous? Most of them are not healthy...my sister's friend got a dog at a pet store, he died at 3 years old from a seizure disorder. It does no good to buy from a pet store...

My mom came close to buying a cute little boxer puppy at the pet store a couple days ago, but she didn't because she didn't want to support puppymills. As much as I would LOVE a new pup, I was so glad she did the right thing.

I'm a little puppy, so cuddly, sweet and small
I live inside a cage, you see at Pet Store in the mall.
I'm not an only puppy, my sisters are all here.
My brothers, too, except for Ralph who died coz he was scared.

It's lonely here at nighttime when all the lights go dark,
We tremble in our cages and we whimper and we bark.
But no one comes to hold us or pet our fears away
We sit all night in terror til the store opens next day.

We don't remember mama left so far behind
She did the best she could for us til Man said "It is time."
He crammed us all in cages too small for us you see
We rode for hours; we could not help but lay in poop and pee.

And now we sit in Pet Store where kids come taunt and squeeze
They do not hear our whimpers or understand our pleas
We're miserable and it's scary here we all would rather die
But since we don't we do our best to run away and hide

I know you think my story too sad to leave me be,
You want to take me home with you, a happy little puppy.
But please, though it is fearful to live here against our will
If you take me that leaves a spot another pup will fill.

You can stop our suffering but not by taking us home
You must be strong and leave us here, unsold and all alone
For if you do not take me, then another pup won't come
And maybe he will not be shipped so far away from home

Tho some of us may not survive the cycle 'ere it falls
If we don't sell they will not need more puppies in these halls
And if they need no puppies then the Man will not bring more
Eventually it can all stop! You CAN close the door.

So when you see a puppy face so sad and sweet and small
In a cage at Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mall
The best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting there
That is the best way you can tell all dogs how much you care.
-Author Unknown

Think that sums it up. ;)

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
mrose_s said:
they take in all breeds and mixes, I would say they would HAVE to be vet checkd or the shop just wouldnt work.
No there are alot of petstores that sell sickly puppies and after their in a new home for about a week they end up in the vet sick or dieing. What can i say? Any petstore that sells animals I DO NOT support.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Gallien Jacks said:
pet stores here are not allowed to sell dogs or cats i think that it is a good thing
That is a very good thing the petstore i go to doesent sell animals animals whatsoever once he had Betta fish and thats it. I love his store.

poeluvr

Southpaw said:
And now we sit in Pet Store where kids come taunt and squeeze
They do not hear our whimpers or understand our pleas

I know you think my story too sad to leave me be,
You want to take me home with you, a happy little puppy.
But please, though it is fearful to live here against our will
If you take me that leaves a spot another pup will fill.

You can stop our suffering but not by taking us home

So when you see a puppy face so sad and sweet and small
In a cage at Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mall
The best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting there
That is the best way you can tell all dogs how much you care.
-Author Unknown[/i]

Think that sums it up. ;)
this is true but i dont think the petstore would allow kids to poke and praud....and i dont think a pup should not be taken cuz he was UNWILLINGLY bred at a horrible puppymill, if we were all to do this, million upon millions of pups would die across canada and the us, i dont think our hearts could bear it, mine couldnt. anyway yes pups do die from being from puppy mills, but they will to if we leave them to rote...the main thing i think you be done is not by punishing the puppy and not taking them , but letting the owners know what could come if a puppy is taken from a pupmill( samme rezason why ppl take blind dogs...they need love too)
also i think we should get across to newspaper that more authorities and the government ..should shut places like puppy mills down,, so they can sell the ones that are already born..but after that..thats it...that way puppymills will stop...and dogs who are already born can still find homes..and no more pups will be made..i think this could work if enough were up to it...my opinion...dont be angry..thats the route im gonna go though

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
No I have been to petstores where the puppies are aloud to be picked up and held and the petstore workers do not watch the people with the puppies.

poeluvr

Love4Pits said:
No I have been to petstores where the puppies are aloud to be picked up and held and the petstore workers do not watch the people with the puppies.
hmmm..never seen that yet...at my pet stores we're not allowed to touch them(unless ur planning on buying it..hehe)..they have glass in the front ...and there are sign that if u tap at the glass, well u'll be in trouble...seen that
if i did see that though they would have a firm talking to ..by me

Members online