Nail Clipping

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Ok call me old school but I have always used clippers on their nails or taken them in and had it done but I read some posts here about using a Dremmel. Being as how Whiskey and Allie have black nails it is hard to know when you are getting into the quick and I don't like doing that to them .
I am intrested in the dremmel as I use a file anyway and I think this would be good. Can anyone who uses this method go into detaile for someone like me who hasn't used this way ? I know it can get the nail hot or you could go overboard with it as well but can you get the nails shorter.?

The dremel is a much safer way to go. I always use it in an on/off motion so that the nail doesn't heat up at all and I check the nail often to see the round speck that indicates how close to the quick you're getting. With clipping, a quick can of course be severed where as with a dremel and an on/off motion the worst that can happen is a tiny nick.. if that.
Practice makes perfect, it took me a while to feel comfortable using the dremel....I was never anything but anxious with clippers.

As far as getting the nails shorter...the more often you dremel/clip, she shorter the quick will grow. I dremel at least once a week.

Fran27 said:
You guys got me curious... How much are those worth?
Depends where you buy them. At a regular chain harware store, anywhere from $30.00-40.00 for everything you'll need.
All you need is the dremel, the file tips and charger (comes all together in one package)

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Thanks again Doc. Yes nail clipping is a nervous nellie time for me and always has been. I usually just take them and have it done because of that reason. I am intrested in this way and it seems that you would have no snags either. I have a dremmel but thought that they had a special pet one that would be better not the case huh ?
Guess I will give it a try.
** Here Whiskey, Whiskey Whiskey mom needs a guneia pig for a new science experiment****

Aussie Red said:
Thanks again Doc. Yes nail clipping is a nervous nellie time for me and always has been. I usually just take them and have it done because of that reason. I am intrested in this way and it seems that you would have no snags either. I have a dremmel but thought that they had a special pet one that would be better not the case huh ?
Guess I will give it a try.
** Here Whiskey, Whiskey Whiskey mom needs a guneia pig for a new science experiment****
RUN WHISKEY....RUN!!!!

Heh he..J/K, it's really not the least bit as scary as the clipper. I'd just start with one nail and a few short bursts of the dremel...lots of cookies (for you, whiskey won't need them);)

sparks19 said:
how long does it take to file the nail down?
I know that some people are probably a lot quicker than I am but Sophie's take about 20 minutes. I'm so slow because she's laying there with her eyes closed relaxing and I don't want to heat up her nails by holding the dremel in place too long. I find it very relaxing and so does Sophie. I'm goint to try to get Mike to do a short video tonight...I'll post it to show how it's done (at least, the way we do it).:)

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
hmmm Aussie has dremel in hand
spies Whiskey snoozing on the sofa
aussie sneeks to where sleeping dog lies
Aussie turns on dremel
Whiskey gives the flat eyed sour look
Whiskey jumps off sofa
Aussie say come here baby
Whiskey says no way not today
Whiskey scoots for the den
Aussie says come on now get back here
Whiskey scowls
Aussie says want a cookie?
Whiskey scowls
Aussie goes to den to get Whiskey.
Whiskey runs back to sofa
Aussie comes back to living room sees Whiskey
Devil dog thinks we have a game going here
Devil dog grabs dremel off coffee table
Aussie chasing devil dog and dremel down hallway
Aussie retreving said dremel
Whiskey back on sofa staring at Aussie waiting for more games to start
Aussie going to have cup of coffee and rethink
Aussie getting leash out and going to try again.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
2nd attempt went well. He didn't mind it at all but had to play him out first. What was I thinking he had just gotten up and full of energy.
But it does work well and I like the rounded nail no sharp edges.
I have one paw done will give him a break and me too lol.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Doberluv said:
Sounds like things are going well. I'm a little late, but here are some excellent instructions and pre-cautions which were valuable to me.... just in case:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html
ty that is very usefull and helps more then you know. So far Whiskey dosen't seem to mind it he just wanted to play. He is one of those types that needs to make a sport out of everything we do. I guess that is why I love him so because he picks on me lol

T

tessa_s212

I LOVE my dremel. Poor Marq had to go in the show ring with clipped nails today though because we didn't charge it long enough. :(

I'm going to get one of those because I have a terrible time with cutting Chloe's nails......she absolutely hates it so much and wiggles, squirms, and fights me. I've accidentally cut her nails to short because she won't hold still, so that makes her hate it even worse. When I take her to the vet, they cut them all to short, plus they charge a fortune.:rolleyes: I think I'll invest in one.

I know it's really important not to hold the Dremel, because I get my nails done and they use one on me and they can get REALLY HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.