Never knew rotties are man eaters

R

rottiegirl

RedyreRottweilers said:
Rottie Girl, I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a few minutes.

There once was a very responsible Rottweiler owner. She showed her dogs, had a very nice top winning male dog, who ended up being one of the top producers EVER in our breed.

Her mother also had Rottweilers. 3 Rottweilers belonging to the daughter were being kept by her mother (very experienced Rottie person) while the dau was out of state looking at real estate.

To make an awful very long story very short, a medical emergency occurred with the mother, who had to be rushed to the hospital. Somehow in all the hubbub, 2 people were left at the home.

A 12 YO girl, in charge of a 2 YO toddler.

There were 5 or 7 dogs present, I can't remember now, all downstairs in their individual runs.

Somehow, all the dogs were let out, and were playing in the backyard, with the 2 children. The dogs had a big tire that was a favorite toy that they would drag around and pull on all the time as dogs will.

Now you have multiple dogs out in a dog yard who do not live with each other, more than one intact male, more than one intact bitch, all adults.

Somehow, the toddler ended up being "played with" just like the tire. He was severely injured, suffered permanent brain damage, and the family was torn apart forever by the fall out from this incident.

No one will ever know exactly what happened. No one could ever prove which dogs participated in the attack. No animal behavior experts could elicit any dangerous or vicious behavior from any of the dog on an individual basis. This was tied up in the legal system and Animal Control for almost 2 years. The grey muzzles of the 2 older bitches appeared on a regular basis on the nightly news as this terrible event was hashed out over and over and over.

Long story not so short, under the right circumstances and stimuli, dogs behave as the canids they are. Your dog. My dog. Most any dog, with the right circumstances and stimuli, will "pack up" and do things as a group that a single dog would NEVER do alone.

It's not always as simple as "this only happens to irresponsible people". Dogs are dogs, and humans are humans. As long as they live together, accidents will happen.

Much of it can be eliminated with responsibility of ownership and breeding, about that you are certainly right, but let me tell you.....

That Butler County PA incident impressed upon MANY of us that "there, but for the grade of *od go I."

I love Rottweilers.

I respect them too.

;)
I totaly agree with you. This goes for ANY breed out there. The reason why I said that rotties have killed a lot of people due to irresponsible owners is because the people who go out looking for a guard dog do not know what they are doing. They just go out and buy a rottie, pit, doberman and then they do not properly socialize them or train them. Some people even try to make them mean. Many times these large breeds are ending up in the wrong hands. Then you have people out there breeding these dogs to be aggressive.

landkwold

The whole thing was written to be very tongue-in-cheek...if you go sending off angry emails to them, they're just going to laugh at you for not getting it.....

R

RedyreRottweilers

A quote from http://www.gooddogcarl.com/author.htm,
Alexandra Day's website about the Good Dog Carl books......

We were visiting Zurich, Switzerland in 1983 and found in a second-hand bookstore a volume of old German picture sheets. These were originally single sheets, intended to be sold individually on the streets, at a low cost, and were usually humorous in content. The volume was quite expensive, so we didnít buy it, but we did see a picture story about a poodle who played with a baby who was supposed to be napping. On the air flight home we talked about making a childrenís picture story on the same idea, but using our Rottweiler in place of the poodle. The original had been farcical, cartoonish, and we decided that we wanted our book to be serious and lovely in approach. The Rottweiler was a deliberate, not circumstantial, choice. We owned two other breeds of dog. We liked the apparent fierceness of our hero to contrast with his gentle care. The Rottweiler, as a breed, does have considerable tenderness and sensitivity underneath his aggressive demeanor. In our story, entitled Good Dog, Carl, the dog hero helps the baby out of bed, and they enjoy together a series of household adventures. When the mother returns she finds the baby back in her crib, all the disorder having been put to rights, and she mistakenly imagines that Carl has been a silent and trusty guardian. She closes the book by praising him with the phrase which is the bookís title.
:D

Sheba

I W A L R
We should get the person who worte that e-mail's address and send a lot of letters telling them to freakin change the rottie insert!

Athebeau

I agree to a certain extent that Rottweilers are not the perfect pet for everyone. Rottweilers do have the full series of motor patterns and only certain breeds such as Terriers and Cattle droving breeds have been bred to go past a grab-bite to kill bite.

So to sum up, A Rottweiler which goes into predatory drift (be it a screaming child running away, small dog held in owners arms, small running animals etc.) the Rottweiler can go into eye stalk which automatically goes to chase then grab-bite then some Rotties can go into kill bite then maul. Many children have died due to predatory drift...all dogs can bite, not all dogs will go past a grab bite.

This is what makes some breeds more dangerous than others. Understanding prey drives is first and foremost when taking in a breed with full series of motor patterns. It's not so much aggression as a bred into enhanced drive of the breed. A Rottie would never have been very good at their job without it. Predatory drift is quiet, dogs will do this silently so as not to scare away prey objects.

There is always some truth behind peoples fears. Dont' dismiss them until you are 100% sure you know what you are talking about. Learn about prey drives and educate...all breeds are NOT created equally.

I have a Rottie at home which would be great at her job. She is alert, bold, and very much in tune with her motor patterns...she will carry these sequences out with my other dogs. My other dogs know when to freeze and not to run. She would be a great dog for her job, great for police work, but, horrible in a home that didn't understand prey drive. This doesnt mean she isn't sweet and loving and can't play with children...but, I supervise every moment she is with children, she rolls on her back for belly rubs...do I think she is being submissive and would never go into predatory drift around a child...no, NEVER! I never think of her in the same catagory as my Dobe or Newf's...they do not have the enhanced drives my Rottie does.

OK my little rant.,:) Education can make a safer world, covering up and getting defensive will only make matters worse.

Athebeau

RedyreRottweilers, you are on the right track. The reason for children being killed by dogs with the full series of motor patterns and enhanced drives is called predatory drift. We also had a young boy die due to predatory drift from the families 3 Rotties'. This dogs were sweet and gentle, it just took one moment of a fearful child to scream to put them into prey mode.

Much of it can be eliminated with responsibility of ownership and breeding, about that you are certainly right, but let me tell you.....
RedyreRottweiler, These breeds have been bred to have those enhanced drives. It's not bad breeding per say...but, proper breeding of these breeds makes for unsafe dogs in some environments. They can't help what they have been bred for. Once you start breeding out the enhanced drives then you have to change the shape of the dog will fall apart. You would have to outcross with breeds with little or deselected motor patterns to make for a new breed with different motor patterns. When you breed a Rottie with another that has little enhanced drives you soon end up with genetic disease.

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
It's just a joke.

However, we have enough negativity surrounding certain dog breeds (both large and small) as it is. I think it's in bad taste to add more to the mix. The site gives me the sh**s.

Cass.

Athebeau

You would have to outcross with breeds with little or deselected motor patterns to make for a new breed with different motor patterns. When you breed a Rottie with another that has little enhanced drives you soon end up with genetic disease.
I was in a hurry and didn't make much sense.

What I meant was there are many Rottweilers which do not have the enhanced drives they were orginally bred for. You will also find in these breedings dogs with more genetic disease and flaws.

When you breed for motor patterns you breed also the shape of the dog. The behavioral conformation is what creates the physical conformation in some cases. For instance why would a Newf be better at swimming than a Basset hound...that is behavior shape of the dog.

If this didn't confuse you....haha

mrose_s

BusterLove
While not 100% guaranteed to clamp their powerful jaws onto the throats of young children, it's best not to chance it. Rather, Rottweilers should only be used for police work or as a guard dog. These dogs can be so mean, it's amazing that they're so high on the list.
WHATS WITH THAT????i saw a lovley rottie about 4 days ago.
the dogs owner had no shirt on, the dog was on a chain and they were walking down the street. this guy looked like he got a rottie just to scare people. but it didnt listen to him, it would walk at such an angle to get away from him, its feet would slip out from underneath it. poor thing. and all his owner would do was occasionally haul it back by the chain looped around its neck. it walked right by our table outside where we were eating and just smiled up at us. it was so lovley.

i cant believe that article!

mrose_s

BusterLove
because children are apt to say such cruel things
OMG, thats awful. i had big and little dogs all thru growing up. not once did i ever deliberatley hurt any animal. hell, i avoid stepping on ants. i had cats and fish and rabbits and birds etc. i have never seen a child be deliberaltey cruel to an animal. thats so sterotypical

Members online

No members online now.