Dog breeds you NEVER used to want...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
but now you are interested in owning?

Basically the opposite of Brittany's thread :p

For me, when I was younger the only dogs I was really interested in were working/guardian and herding group dogs. High intensity, balls to the wall breeds.
Then...Frodo.
Now I am finding that I'm much more interested in (and suited for!) retriever types and scenthound breeds. Still high energy, can be high intensity, but not so...sharp?

I NEVER would have thought that I'd want to own a lab, but now I think I would adore having a lab.

Terriers are another one that the more I spend time with, the more I think I could totally own one, and they weren't really contenders in the past. I've met some REALLY nice Airdales lately!

ACDs are still my favorite breed though, they're like my unicorn dog! I really really hope that someday I'm awesome enough to own one :)

Your turn!

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
When I was looking for my Malinois puppy, I considered the other Belgians. I though the Laekenois looked stupid, unkempt, and like a mutt. Two years after that I had to have one because they looked happy and cute.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I've met some REALLY nice Airdales lately!
I love Airedales! My friend has several of them and is always telling me great stories about them. You don't need a German Shepherd when you have an Airedale. (And they are also fuzzy and cute.) ;) My Grandfather always said an Airedale was the breed to get.

Toller_08

I don't think there are any that I never used to want that I'd think about actually owning, but there are breeds I used to think I didn't like that I actually do like now.

Labs and Goldens are both breeds I really had no interest in at all. But I've met nice ones now of both breeds and really do enjoy them. Not enough to seek out my own dog of either breed, but they can be very nice and pleasant to be around.

Other than that, I don't think there are any. I only have three breeds that I know I will own, and two more that are real possibilities. So, five breeds in total that I actually want to live with. I like a lot of other breeds, and sometimes I have moments where I really want a certain breed, but those don't last long and then I come back to my senses.

joce

I never thought I would want a lab again but I find myself thinking of them all the time now. Just fun and doofy.

Brattina88

Aussies, for sure. I was never really into them before, but now I so am :D lol

Not one cell of me has ever wanted a BC - for all the negative stereotypical reasons. Now in training class and stuff they're the ones Bailey and I naturally flock with, and I am smitten. While they're 'intensity' makes me wary of ever actually owning one, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested!! :eek:

CaliTerp07

Papillions. Honestly, I don't like most tiny dogs, but the more time I spend around the paps at agility the more I am thinking about how nice and portable one would be down the road.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've always loved Labs. And bully breeds. And Rotties. And those are pretty much my top contender breeds now, so I didn't span out much. Lol
I didn't think I'd ever really consider a spaniel, though, but if I ever need a smaller dog that's the way I'm going to go.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Aussies lol I NEVER considered myself a herding breed person. I mis-understood "needs activity" as just..hyper.
So I was under the impression all herding breeds were manic pacing creatures that stared at things lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Malinois & labs. Actually any shepherd & retriever, I used to think they were ugly and stupid but now I love them. We'll likely have a nie retriever for our next non-mal dog. Denis is saying Lab but I'm pulling for a golden or flat coat. We'll probably always have Malinois now, they're just perfect for us.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Retrievers... Never thought I'd want one as much as I do now! Border collies too, I'm very sure now I want a rehomed herding "washout".

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Anything toy sized. <--- that worked out well as you can see.

Cardigan Corgis. Didn't much care for most pemmies but I am loving the cardis I know. I'm sure I will ever pull the trigger on one but I seriously love them.

Picklepaige

German shepherds. I used to think I just wanted labs and pit bulls (would still like a bully or two, not so much labs.) I still have no idea why I started to research shepherds, but I did, met a few and now they are my favorite :)

JacksonsMom

Border Collie. I just always thought that I'd NEVER be the right home for one... now I REALLY have a major want for them and think we'd actually click very well. But I would be very specific of where I got them and what type of dog.

Members online

No members online now.