Ipo?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Just a curiosity since I'm not ever planning on doing bitework but when did Schutzhund get changed to IPO? What does IPO stand for? Why the change?

It was changed this year and it stands for some other german words I don't know how to say but basically means people are a bunch of pussies and had to bow to pressures because schutzhund translates to "protection dog" and we just couldn't be training dogs that have anything to do with bitework.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Apparently IPO = Internationale Prüfungsordnung which translated to International Working Tests.

At least that's what my net search said when I first saw the term a few weeks ago and looked lol. RTH's explanations sounds more practical though :p

because biting dogs are scary and dangerous and those who understand the least get to make the most rules. it's a pervasive sickness that is finding it's way into most of society unfortunately.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Ridiculous.

Is it a global change? I'm pretty sure most people in the US are unaware of what schutzhund is let alone what the word means.

Is retroactive? If a dog earned a SCHH3, are they now IPO3?

It's not just a US change, but I'm not sure who all it affects. I'd imagine it has something to do with the FCI and SV and being the recognized breed club of certain countries

Red Chrome

Cause..you know...dogs trained in bitework are dangerous and a liability etc. Silly Politics get in the way of things.

They changed some rules that IMHO make it easier. LoLa is almost ready for a BH..then the rule changes cane out and she could pass it now. We were working on the out of motion exercises. Its ridiculous the new changes.

Sad to see the sport caving to the dog coddling mongers.

no, they aren't gone. It's only for the BH, which essentially they were making legal what judges were letting slide for a long time.

It's not really a title, just a temperament test and if your dog had decent temp and could do most of the stuff they passed. Now they just say you may take a small pause for the sit and down in the BH.

For the actual IPO titles, the motion exercises are pretty much the same, except when there is no recall it's only 15 paces instead of 30 and the distance to go out stays the same for exercises with recall.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I was surprised for the pause too but we trained the exercises as out of motion and that is how we did them.

Do you think the APR2&3 will be accepted? We were discussing this at training last night...

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
That's not so bad. In South Africa it was changed from Manwork to "Character Building". Puke.

I was surprised for the pause too but we trained the exercises as out of motion and that is how we did them.

Do you think the APR2&3 will be accepted? We were discussing this at training last night...
I'm not sure I follow the question, as far as I know, they can still offer those titles is that what you're asking?

I think so, but I don't know for sure. I have never actually been a part of a trial that ever ran or awarded those so I'd have to look up and see what all the exercises are even :) But I do see trials sanctioned by USA that are offering those titles this year, so I'm assuming they are just fine.

But as they say, when you make an assumption you make an ass out of you and umption :D

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Haha, yeah. Denis (the other half) is planning on taking Sloan for her Apr1, which is the equiv from what we read of the old schA, this summer. We have such a limit for tracking here it's discouraging. He'd like to go back for her IPO1 and on if the move to Oregon pans out but he's not willing to wait for it.

Red Chrome

I don't think the pause should have been added. I don't like it. I will do it as an out of motion and take the point deduction.

I just disagree with some of the rule changes. It was made easier IMHO.

LoLa goes for her BH in June at DVG KG regionals and we plan on doing it as the rules were cause we don't need the extra help!

Staff online

Members online